Good came out of a potentially "BAD" situation...

This is a discussion on Good came out of a potentially "BAD" situation... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad all went well. My wife, God knows I lover her more than anyhting, is happy to wear her blinders. She sees the world for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good came out of a potentially "BAD" situation...

Glad all went well. My wife, God knows I lover her more than anyhting, is happy to wear her blinders. She sees the world for what it is, yet still refuses to believe that anything would happen to her.

We have even discussed the what if's. She would be beaten and raped before she would even think about the gun. It burns me alive, but I have gone on about it till I was blue in the face to no avail. I truely hope nothing ever happens without me being around.

2. Remove Ads

P95Carry said:
    If darker outside than inside and someone goes to use a peephole - it can be seen from outside when there is movement. In the hopefully unlikely event that outside is an armed BG with a very itchy trigger finger - you are, while using the peephole, a perfect target - whose only protection is the integrity of the door in use.

Probably seems a bit paranoid - but in some areas it would concern me. If at all high risk then a small vid camera trained on the outside door area, with a motion triggered light, could allow for remote assessment on a monitor and so preclude being a target.
    The main "boo boo" here was opening the door without knowing who was there...finding that out is a major step toward safety, hence a peephole.

Unless it's Baghdad, I'm doubtful that further "entry surveillance" is needed...heh. But then, if you've got deep pockets, go for it. In any event, I suggest the peephole as a minimum, and safe, option.

The main reason for my post is to offer another, even simpler and cheaper measure. When the knock at the door sounds, simply stand aside from, or distant from, the front door and give out a loud, "Who's there?" If no answer, don't open up. Simple and cheaper than any peephole or video setup.

TireFryer, it's good to see that you're on the road to improving home security. If you do have windows within reach of the inside lock on any exterior door, consider a double tumbler lock, one that's keyed on both sides. This allows you to remove the key so someone can't simply break a foyer window and reach in to unlock that door. I suggest consideration of this with the risk clearly in mind of what to do if there were a fire or other emergency where you would need to exit fast, for you could be locked in your house. I do like this type of lock when I'm away, since it not only keeps the BGs out, but hinders a burglar's exit with the goodies.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; September 15th, 2006 at 06:30 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCCW View Post
    .... turned from being Firearmaphobic to liking the idea that I have guns,........

just for those interested:

Hoplophobia, (pronounced HOP-li-fobia), from the Greek hoplo, or weapon, is a phobia identified by firearms instructor Colonel Jeff Cooper in 1962. His intent was to satirically use a clinical term to bring public recognition of the irrational fear of firearms and other forms of weaponry such as knives or explosives. He stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user". Hoplophobia is deemed to be a cultural side effect of those who engage in the primordial human belief systems that anthropologists refer to as "animism", or the belief that inanimate objects can hold spirits that can effect human actions.

The word Hoplophobia does not appear in the Oxford English, Websters or American Hertitage dictionaries.

Sigmund Freud, the father of modern psychoanalysis, stated the following: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

While hoplophobia isn't (yet) a word featured in any standard dictionary, since it was coined by Jeff Cooper in 1962 it has become fairly common amongst the shooting and gun rights community, to the extent that it is sometimes now used by other groups and writers.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Cameras w/low light enhancement, while expensive, are cheap if you ever need 'em. Wish I had one! But then I live in a motor home.
    If you have 110VAC available, check WalMart. Last time I was in there, they had a small BW camera with IR illuminator for about $25; plug it into the RCA inputs on most current TVs, and you have an instant front door channel. For about $80, they offer a similar camera with a dedicated monitor, though a small TV can probably be had at the pawn shop for less than the $55 price difference.

They also carry a couple of different wireless versions, one with a motion sensor that triggers a VCR to record only when something is moving. All of the ones I looked at had at least some low/no light capability, though a motion sensor controlled floodlight should let any camera work, and makes for a nice early warning system as well.

pax
    Kudos to you & to your wife for learning from the situation, rather than just being frightened and then shrugging it off. May you follow up on your conversation, and may it all be good!

I'd suggest you & she find a class you can take together ASAP. Point out to her that she needs to know the same basic stuff you know, so that you can work together as a team to protect your family.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    my father when i was a teen got tired of getting his raidio stolen outa his truck he wired one of the motion lights to a small lamp in his bed room let him know if any one was in the drive might work on your porch to who knows how long that guy was out there watching ect...

Yesterday, for the first time in a decade, I left the house (with company that has been visiting) without closing and locking the door at the back porch. Goof is right. Came back, saw the door slide open and immediately went to condition Orange for a minute, while I scanned the house. Hey, it happens. Glad you both realized the potential ramifications. Me, too, in this case.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I know I've stated this before but one thing I taught my wife to do besides checking who is at the door is to always announce loudly, I'll get it Hon, this way someone will always think there is more than one person in the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links