How Often Should You Shoot Your Carry Rounds Instead of the Usual Target?

This is a discussion on How Often Should You Shoot Your Carry Rounds Instead of the Usual Target? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carry rounds being expensive I hardly ever shoot any after I first start using them (then I do, but even then not many) - and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How Often Should You Shoot Your Carry Rounds Instead of the Usual Target?

How Often Should You Shoot Your Carry Rounds Instead of the Usual Target?

Carry rounds being expensive I hardly ever shoot any after I first start using them (then I do, but even then not many) - and I realize if there's a significant difference between the recoil or just the feel of the two types it's not good to get so used to Target ammo that in a real crisis your Carry Ammo would throw you off.

So, I know I shoot my Carry Ammo too infrequently - except in one gun where there is not much difference between that Carry Ammo and Target - but it's too seldom in my other guns.

But how about you, how do you handle mixing practice with the two? I think this can be an important point I usually never think about but I have lately.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    When I took my NRA class to get my permit, my instructor who is former LEO, said the protocol for LE was to fire the magazine empty of carried ammo every 3-4 months. He said more often during the winter months because of pressure differences from being out in the cold and then back to warmer temps inside. Every couple of months during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    When I took my NRA class to get my permit, my instructor who is former LEO, said the protocol for LE was to fire the magazine empty of carried ammo every 3-4 months. He said more often during the winter months because of pressure differences from being out in the cold and then back to warmer temps inside. Every couple of months during the winter.
    OK, that a schedule, and not one that will break the bank. Thanks.

Distinguished Member
    I go to the range weekly or bi weekly atleast. I'll usually shoot a magazine of my carry stuff once out of every 6 to 8 trips, so I guess about once every two months. I find its really the only time I shoot the TCP, should prob work on that a bit.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I go to the range weekly or bi weekly atleast. I'll usually shoot a magazine of my carry stuff once out of every 6 to 8 trips, so I guess about once every two months. I find its really the only time I shoot the TCP, should prob work on that a bit.
    I think that sounds enough to keep awareness of what the Carry shoots like.

I shoot mine up every 4 months or so.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I shoot up my carry ammo once a month and rotate it out. I won't put my life in jeopardy to save a couple of dollars. Fresh carry ammo is always a benefit

I shoot my carry ammo probably every 6 weeks. I agree with Barstoolguru I like fresh ammo in my weapon.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Once every 6 to 8 months.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    Once every 6 to 8 months.
    ^^^^^this

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I don't get to the range very often, but when I do I shoot out what's in my carry mag, then shoot practice ammo. But, my practice ammo is very similar to my carry ammo - same maker, same weight. More experienced shooters might be able to discern a difference, I can't.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

More important than recoil and blast characteristics is point of aim vs point of impact of the 2 loads. If you ever need to use your gun in a life or death situation, you will be so pumped with adrenaline that you will probably never register the felt recoil. You body does some interesting things when the SHTF.

You can actually accomplish a lot with dry fire. I took one guy from my agency that had trouble qualifying, I had him buy a 22 and shoot it every day. He raised his score 20 points within a couple of months.

I shoot a mag of my carry every time I go the range which is at least biweekly. Not sure how much of a difference it really makes but it makes me feel a little better :)
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    More important than recoil and blast characteristics is point of aim vs point of impact of the 2 loads. If you ever need to use your gun in a life or death situation, you will be so pumped with adrenaline that you will probably never register the felt recoil. You body does some interesting things when the SHTF.

You can actually accomplish a lot with dry fire
    . I took one guy from my agency that had trouble qualifying, I had him buy a 22 and shoot it every day. He raised his score 20 points within a couple of months.
    This qualifies as a post of the year so far as defensive shooting and preparation is concerned.

I've told my wife the same thing--if you ever have to fire your Airweight, you're NOT going to feel the recoil and there is a good chance you'll hear the blast, but your brain will be too focused to accurately classify the blast for a bit.

I do not like running some of the really hot stuff (+P+) through my guns on a regular basis. I shoot just enough of it to maintain confidence that everything will work according to plan if the stink ever hits the spinning airfoil.

I also rotate the rounds in my magazines quite a bit so that the same one or two rounds are not always being cycled when reloading the weapon after a range session and/or cleaning. I'll pull a random round from the magazine and fire it to ensure that it's still "hot."

Pretty much, it's a "to each their own" in terms of what makes YOU comfortable and confident. If that means firing a box of carry-ammo once a week, then that's what it takes. If you're comfortable loading a magazine and then forgetting about it, then that's your choice.

However, confidence usually comes from experience, so the more often you shoot and handle your carry firearm/s, the more confidence you'll acquire in what works best for you in regards to your carry ammo and how often you shoot it.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

About every 3 mo. However,if your eject the top round and then re-chamber frequently you should shoot THAT round first when you go to the range. Prevents any problems with set-back.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links