Do Not Underestimate THE DESTRUCTIVE POWER OF THE .22; REAL CASES:

This is a discussion on Do Not Underestimate THE DESTRUCTIVE POWER OF THE .22; REAL CASES: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For years I've known about one person shot with a .22 (handgun) and recently found out another. When I prepare my .22 to shoot at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Do Not Underestimate THE DESTRUCTIVE POWER OF THE .22; REAL CASES:

Do Not Underestimate THE DESTRUCTIVE POWER OF THE .22; REAL CASES:

For years I've known about one person shot with a .22 (handgun) and recently found out another. When I prepare my .22 to shoot at the range, after already shooting my .45, I look at these tiny little rounds and sometimes make the error of thinking they're nothing. Then bring to mind one of these two stories:

1) Some years ago, my good friends brother, who I knew a bit, was living in Rochester NY in an apartment, nice one, pretty good neighborhood. In the afternoon he was sitting reading and heard a knock at the door. Being mid-afternoon he opened the door and was faced with a man with a gun who demanded his wallet. He gave it to him and the guy fled. Just before he fled the brother said he heard two pops he couldn't identify. He said said he closed the door and just stood there in his living room. He said he felt no pain or anything, just confusion, "weird" as he put it. He attributed that to the psychological shock of having had such an upsetting event happen to him. But then he said he felt some liquid running down his stomach and lower abdominal area and he put his hand down there, felt something real wet and took his hand up to look. Blood. He'd been shot twice in the guts, and now seeing it, he knew he was in trouble, he felt bad pain, got dizzy and just before passing out called 911. When they got there they had an unconscious, seriously injured person to treat who was losing massive amount of blood internally. Rushed to the hospital and in surgery immediately he had various parts of his intestines removed where the bullets and gone thru, as well as hitting other areas. Through the next year he had to have more operations, he had multiple very serious infections and psychologically was a mess for a long time: flashbacks, for some reason obsessively blaming himself; he had psycho-therapists, physical therapists and a ton of medical expenses thruout the year.
    I see him rarely now but I am told he is fine now.

2) Very recent. A nice restaurant and coffee shop I go into almost nightly - it's the turn around point in my exercise walk and I have a coffee, read the paper and walk back home. So I know a lot of the help, who are college students and young 20s people. I like them all, good people. A 25 yr old had just worked there for a week. I don't know if i saw or talked to him. One night, as I was leaving, I saw a huge number of emergency vehicles down a block on a street I was walking about 4 min from the restaurant. I was told next day that that was for the young 25 yr old. Walking home from work and in a pretty good nearby neighborhood he had been accosted by a young man with a gun who ordered him to give him his money. But before he could barely start to do that the BG shot him once in the very upper chest with what turned out to be a .22. The bullet deflected straight down through a lung from top to bottom, got deflected again and hit and lodged in his lower spine. He was paralyzed from the waist-down. The first few days the doctors hoped against hope that feeling would return and a couple of times it seemed to be starting to but ultimately: No Dice.

He is, at the age of 25, his whole life ahead of him, paralyzed for life from the waist down.

They believe the shooter may have been going thru a gang-initiation. "Your job is to shoot somebody if you want in with our guys" He has never been caught.

So, keep in mind, I'm not suggesting Carrying a .22 because - as in the first story - the effect is not immediate enough for SD shootings. But don't ever sneer at the .22 (which I have heard some I know do) as a wimpy little round. It does great damage!
    Respect it! Treat shooting it with the same safety precautions as a 45. It's a nasty and killing little round. (And I believe the favorite of assassins at close quarters.) It's not a "cute little thing".
    Last edited by walleye; June 25th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    beararms, RayBar, W9HDG and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    After I got out of the hospital from my back surgery I bought a little Taurus PT22, and it was my primary carry for a few weeks.

Now that I can carry my 1911 again, my little PT22 is my backup, carried in my off-side pocket. I know what a .22 can do- it's easily just as lethal as a .45. Maybe not as fast as a .45, but definitely just as lethal- "Dead is dead, it doesn't matter how".
    W9HDG and Dadsnugun like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

As I had wrote on another thread a .22 can be a nasty little bullet. It is the only caliber I know that can go in the skull and then bounce around shredding the brain. Larger goes through, which oddly enough can be not as bad. A shredded brain leaves one with a "cold slaw" brain and if you live one has the IQ of a turnip. It may be a "little" bullet, but it can do much damage as you have pointed out. I had one patient that was in a fight with another woman and was stabbed once with a ice pick...in the heart. We didn't even see it. We were running her as a code blue and then when we removed the blouse to give her the defib "zap" we saw the tiny hole. It killed her. A small injury in the "right" place can be the end.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Amen on the respect and safety aspect, and amen again on it not being the best choice for SD.

Still, if it's what you got (^^^^), it's better than nothing.

I've got a few friends that have the .22WMR mini-revolvers. Maybe a coincidence, but they're all Harley riders, which I am not... not sure if it's the "in thing" in their riding clubs or what. Some of them use them as BUGs, some as their only EDC. I've tried to convince them otherwise, but no dice. I don't get it. Single action revolvers used to be all the rage for SD 100+ years ago, but there's a bit of a difference between .45LC and .22.

The story I got from one of them was "well this isn't a normal .22, it's a WMR... big difference." But then, someone recently posted the chronos for the .22WMR out of short barrels, and it's not a big difference at all.

Still, I don't care if it's a .22 or one of those old spring-action Crossman bb pistols - it deserves the same firearms safety rules as a .50BMG.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post

So, keep in mind, I'm not suggesting Carrying a .22 because - as in the first story - the effect is not immediate enough for SD shootings. But don't ever sneer at the .22 (which I have heard some I know do) as a wimpy little round. It does great damage!
    Respect it! Treat shooting it with the same safety precautions as a 45. It's a nasty and killing little round. (And I believe the favorite of assassins at close quarters.) It's not a "cute little thing".
    Indeed. A .22 cal Iver Johnson was the death of Bobby Kennedy.
    Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    walleye likes this.

If you leave out military conflicts, the .22 rimfire has probably caused more deaths than any other round since the start of the 20th century.
    walleye and sixgun like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I know what a .22 can do- it's easily just as lethal as a .45. Maybe not as fast as a .45, but definitely just as lethal- "Dead is dead, it doesn't matter how".
    The only caveat here is if someone is bent on attacking/robbing/killing me, I want them to stop NOW. Whether or not they get killed is not the point. I wish to remove 100% of their will to continue an attack, NOW. A fight for your life is not a time to test how long it takes to bleed out from a .22, or to count on yourself placing the best shot you ever laid down. .22LR is for shooting paper, cans, and squirrels.

If you remove firearms from the equation, more people have been killed over time by a sharp stick and a rock. Ya'll be careful out in the yard now.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    He'd been shot twice in the guts, and now seeing it, he knew he was in trouble, he felt bad pain, got dizzy and just before passing out called 1911
    Calling 1911 was a great idea! Of course, he could've called G21 or M&P .45 just as well! I think we have an idea for a new bumper sticker here, in the same vein as "This vehicle protected by Smith&Wesson". It would go something like "In case of emergency call 1-9-1-1". heehee

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    The only caveat here is if someone is bent on attacking/robbing/killing me, I want them to stop NOW. Whether or not they get killed is not the point. I wish to remove 100% of their will to continue an attack, NOW. A fight for your life is not a time to test how long it takes to bleed out from a .22, or to count on yourself placing the best shot you ever laid down. .22LR is for shooting paper, cans, and squirrels.
    Which is why my primary is a full size 1911 with 8 rounds of modern defensive ammunition which I can 'stack' on the target at 25yds. Not a .22lr with a 2 3/4" barrel that's 'accurate' at 10yds. I carried that for a couple weeks because that was what I could handle after back surgery.

What I said was meant either as intentionally shooting someone/thing with a .22lr, or by negligence. Doesn't matter which one you're hit with if it kills you.

Of course, the .45 could make it a little harder to identify the body... As compared to the 'pinholes' from the .22.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Calling 1911 was a great idea! Of course, he could've called G21 or M&P .45 just as well! I think we have an idea for a new bumper sticker here, in the same vein as "This vehicle protected by Smith&Wesson". It would go something like "In case of emergency call 1-9-1-1". heehee
    Ha, ha HA! I saw that and fixed it. Well, don't know if the 1911 delivery-boy would show up but it's a funny mistake. I think if I made it, lying in the hospital I'd call the 1911 delivery-boy then.

.22 Mag ?

Know zip about 22 mags. Any significant difference in "put-down" with that, I mean "put down" quickly, compared to a .22lr.

VIP Member
    Never forget the warning on boxes of 22s; they will travel over a mile.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Don't underestimate the destructive power of the electric guitar! REAL CASE!

Another example of keeping Austin weird: Man killed by electric guitar - 2012-Apr-24 - CultureMap Houston

VIP Member
    I have no proof, but I understand a lot of professional hit men like to use a .22. Quiet, but when fired from close range into the back of the head, very effective.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have no proof, but I understand a lot of professional hit men like to use a .22. Quiet, but when fired from close range into the back of the head, very effective.
    Try it on a melon point blank sometime. It's impressive. Nothing left to eat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links