Roller Coaster Carry

This is a discussion on Roller Coaster Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me see now--i have read comments about firearms as you pee, firearms as you sit on the toilet, firearms when you bike ride, firearms ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Roller Coaster Carry

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Let me see now--i have read comments about firearms as you pee, firearms as you sit on the toilet, firearms when you bike ride, firearms in the shower and on and on and on ad nauseum. Now we have roller coasters. I shake my head at what appear to be honest questions that are not only published but receive multiple replies. No one has asked the most important one--- during a romp in bed--I am sure that our 24/7 members have answers for that one, as well.
    danwdooley likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Let me see now--i have read comments about firearms as you pee, firearms as you sit on the toilet, firearms when you bike ride, firearms in the shower and on and on and on ad nauseum. Now we have roller coasters. I shake my head at what appear to be honest questions that are not only published but receive multiple replies. No one has asked the most important one--- during a romp in bed--I am sure that our 24/7 members have answers for that one, as well.
    This forum is here for individuals of all types that enjoy firearms and the right to carry them, wherever it may be. We are here to answer whatever questions individuals may have as I find this to be a "safe zone" to ask such questions. If you have issues with that, I suggest you click the little button at the top right of your screen that says "log out".
    pfries likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    what do you think of a fanny pack? keep it in my pocket when I enter, so it won't be noticed when security looks in the fanny pack, then put it in there at the restroom in the park?
    That would probably be the best option, even tho personally I would carry some OC spray or something instead, a whole lot less to worry about when your trying to have fun :d
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I think the likelihood of a gun coming out of a pocket holster is pretty small, especially if you're going to be paying attention to it but I completely understand and share your concern. If I were you, I would carry the LCP in a front pocket, but look for pants or shorts with a zip-able or velro'd front pocket.

My pair of Columbia shorts have a large secondary pocket behind my right front pocket. This pocket has a zipper. Nothing's coming out of that when it's zipped.

I just ordered a conceal carry specific fanny pack for the LCP off amazon. I think it will be the best option for me as I can also put my other items i.e. cell phone, sunblock, credit cards, room key, etc in it and won't have to do a pocket pat down every time I sit down or get up.
    Burns likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Nightstand.
    crf3973 and pfries like this.

Don't carry. Think risk vs reward. No one is going to conduct armed robbery at an amusement park; if they do just let them have your wallet and be on their way. Even if you have serious enemies with a serious desire to kill you, I doubt that they would choose and amusement park to do so. If someone goes on a random shooting rampage, you'll have enough obstacles, cover, and concealment to get your family to safety, unless you're caught in the opening volley (in which case your pocket carry won't protect you anyway...)

I don't like the idea of being helpless, but unarmed survival skills are a way of not being helpless. Your best weapon is your mind; always be aware of cover, concealment, escape routes, choke points, etc and avoid bad positioning.

Check your laws because it is illegal here in Texas to carry in an amusement park

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    Don't carry. Think risk vs reward. No one is going to conduct armed robbery at an amusement park; if they do just let them have your wallet and be on their way. Even if you have serious enemies with a serious desire to kill you, I doubt that they would choose and amusement park to do so. If someone goes on a random shooting rampage, you'll have enough obstacles, cover, and concealment to get your family to safety, unless you're caught in the opening volley (in which case your pocket carry won't protect you anyway...)

I don't like the idea of being helpless, but unarmed survival skills are a way of not being helpless. Your best weapon is your mind; always be aware of cover, concealment, escape routes, choke points, etc and avoid bad positioning.
    Totally agree. The purpose is not for at the park itself, but for the commute between the park and the hotel and wherever else we will go. It would most likely never be pulled out in the park unless some time of mass incident happened which is extremely extremely unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Check your laws because it is illegal here in Texas to carry in an amusement park
    I have, totally legal where I will be :)
    GunTrooper likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    No one is going to conduct armed robbery at an amusement park
    You clearly didn't Google search this before you posted it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

IMHO, I wouldn't want to be without my protection in a place like that. Additionally, I'd carry in a holster with a thumb break.
    BkCo1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I think this issue is over-thought. First, have you ridden these rides? The seats are barely wide enough for a 12 year old's hips and have big padded bolsters on the side to prevent you from moving side to side, and a big padded bar that locks down around your pelvic crease (lap) to keep your butt in the seat. If anything, you're only going to come away with bruised kidneys from having your piece slammed into your side a few times. With pocket carry, I doubt if you could even get that thing out of your pocket from a seated position in a roller coaster even if you wanted too. Also, I question the effectiveness of a holster that will release a gun that easily. If there was a vital issue with guns flying out at parks that allow them, do you think they continue to allow you to carry? How about you just cinch your belt down a little and enjoy the ride.
    OUCH!!!

Just put a piece of duct tape over the top of the pocket holster to keep the gun in. I've never had a ride pull the wallet out of my pants and I can't imagine it would pull a pocket holster with the gun in it out either. No sense spending money on a new holster when you don't have to; I'm a cheap skate, myself.

I have a SmartCarry I use on occasion, and I don't see how my handgun could possibly fall out just because I'm upside-down. I wear it pretty low, and my belt makes it pretty well impossible for it to come out unless I want it to. Yes, my draw is rather slow with the SmartCarry, but there are times when slow draw is worth the extra concealment to me, and it's still better than having nothing to draw. My only concern would be that there are some rides that have an "anti-submarine" strap, or a large bump in the seat that comes up between the legs to prevent sliding down. I could see that possibly pushing the gun into my abdomen/gut a bit, which could be uncomfortable. It is a similar situation to riding my motorcycle with the gas tank between the legs, and why I greatly prefer the IWB when I will be riding. Just my .02

Ask yourself what's more important. Having the gun with you OR riding the roller coasters. Not both. Perhaps someone with you can hold the fanny pack while you ride the coaster.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links