Roller Coaster Carry - Page 4

Roller Coaster Carry

This is a discussion on Roller Coaster Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a firm, two-handed grip, I think you'll be fine. Trying to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction during a 360-degree roll may ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Roller Coaster Carry

With a firm, two-handed grip, I think you'll be fine. Trying to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction during a 360-degree roll may be a challenge, but I'm sure you can do it.

Seriously, the most you'll see is transitory slightly negative Gz. I'd wager (I'm sure some Google-fu expert can prove one way or the other) that your chances of a SD situation, however remote, are still more likely than those of being stuck upside down for an extended period of time. And then you've got bigger worries.

Pocket carry? No way it would fall out - except maybe on one of those stand-up coasters.

My call: IWB with good belt, good retention, and an over-shirt. If you've got any sort of rake to your carry, you'd need some significant simultaneous upward/forward force to release the pistol -

It would be interesting to see how many folks lose smartphones, cameras, etc, on these rides (from their pockets/pouches/holsters, not dropping them while they're facebooking).
    phreddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If Air Force pilots can pull 9Gs with a sidearm strapped to them, and not have it become a missile inside the cockpit, then I think you would be fine with an LCP in your pocket on a roller coaster. It's not going anywhere.

Glasses, hats, and such...different story...
    +1, especially if you look at the POS "holster" they sew onto the survival vest to carry that brick of an M9.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    The thought of a fanny pack me lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Me, too. I may be middle-aged, but I still prefer to have physical relations with women. This doesn't cut it.

a-good-use-of-fanny-pack.jpg

If you're so concerned about your safety that you need your sidearm in the amusement park, why would you be willing to risk your safety on a roller coaster?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Me, too. I may be middle-aged, but I still prefer to have physical relations with women. This doesn't cut it.

a-good-use-of-fanny-pack.jpg

If you're so concerned about your safety that you need your sidearm in the amusement park, why would you be willing to risk your safety on a roller coaster?
    My eyes..............! I can't unsee that.
    mprp likes this.

Sounds a lot like "What are you so afraid of that you have to carry a GUN?".
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Did you read what I said earlier in the thread? The concern is not at the actual amusement park. But in the surrounding areas. We will be doing many things outside the park, including events at night. We will be away from the hotel from 8AM to roughly 10 PM. The area around the park has its share of crime.

Pocket carry the LCP. If they have lockers for rent at the park get one and store the gun while you're inside.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Sounds a lot like "What are you so afraid of that you have to carry a GUN?".
    Doesn't sound like that at all. It's personal risk management. I also find it odd that so many carry around a sidearm every waking moment (ostensibly to live a long, safe life) yet smoke and are way overweight. For the vast majority of people, the cigs and medical issues from their weight are FAR more likely to take their life early than a violent assailant.

..and yes, I saw you have other venues. You could leave it in your car while in the park, but, yes, I know all about how dangerous amusement parking lots are....

What about a back pack or fanny pack? (I hate fanny packs), but you can carry other things you might need in the park and you can strap it to you for the rides. just a thought

Doesn't sound like that at all. It's personal risk management. I also find it odd that so many carry around a sidearm every waking moment (ostensibly to live a long, safe life) yet smoke and are way overweight. For the vast majority of people, the cigs and medical issues from their weight are FAR more likely to take their life early than a violent assailant.

..and yes, I saw you have other venues. You could leave it in your car while in the park, but, yes, I know all about how dangerous amusement parking lots are....
    My point is (and your comment doesn't contradict it) that you never know where something bad is going to happen. I think all of us agree that if we think a place is prone to crime, we tend to avoid it. OP expects to be out and about for quite a while that night, and prefers to be armed. I tend to agree with him, being in an unfamiliar area one likes to be prepared for anything.

OP has already made the choice to carry while at the park. That's his choice, let's not belabor the point by arguing about why we would or would not do the same, and just answer his question about the best way to accomplish the goal.

I still think a retention holster is the best. My Kahr falls out of my pocket if I lean back too far in my chair... not far enough to hit the floor, but enough that I can feel it shift. I think pocket carry is the least desirable option, and I would feel better about retention in a heavy crowd anyway... pickpockets like to hang out at amusement parks as well, don't they?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

You could leave it in your car while in the park, but, yes, I know all about how dangerous amusement parking lots are....
    We don't have the luxury of having a car while we are there. We will be relying on cabs and shuttles for a week...

My point is (and your comment doesn't contradict it) that you never know where something bad is going to happen. I think all of us agree that if we think a place is prone to crime, we tend to avoid it. OP expects to be out and about for quite a while that night, and prefers to be armed. I tend to agree with him, being in an unfamiliar area one likes to be prepared for anything.

OP has already made the choice to carry while at the park. That's his choice, let's not belabor the point by arguing about why we would or would not do the same, and just answer his question about the best way to accomplish the goal.

I still think a retention holster is the best. My Kahr falls out of my pocket if I lean back too far in my chair... not far enough to hit the floor, but enough that I can feel it shift. I think pocket carry is the least desirable option, and I would feel better about retention in a heavy crowd anyway... pickpockets like to hang out at amusement parks as well, don't they?
    No disagreement from me. I am pointing out that your statement bolded above is like saying water is wet and the sun is hot. No one is going to argue that anything can happen to anyone at anytime in any place. Big deal.

My point is about assessing personal risk management issues. In the case of an amusement park, I PERSONALLY feel I face a much greater risk carrying inside the park than I do from being able to use my firearm in the park to defend myself and/or my family. I risk dropping it on a ride, exposing it, getting in a hassle with park management, discharging it by accident, or creating more problems by using it even if I am assaulted. Parks are full of families and kids. Statistically, they are one of the least risky places for violent assault. Even if I did feel the need to use my ccw, the risk of hitting an innocent child bystander are great, and I'd rather take that bullet/beating/assault and die from it than live knowing I took an innocent child's life. But that's just me.

I would leave mine in my car, then return for it for the evening activities. I know you want to carry in the park, and that's fine with me. I am just expressing my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    We don't have the luxury of having a car while we are there. We will be relying on cabs and shuttles for a week...
    Personally, cabs and shuttles are a luxury for me and my family. I hate having a rental or personal car on holiday: parking hassles, greater risk of accidents in strange/new places, etc. are minimized with cabs and shuttles. Have a good time. Be safe.

No disagreement from me. I am pointing out that your statement bolded above is like saying water is wet and the sun is hot. No one is going to argue that anything can happen to anyone at anytime in any place. Big deal.

My point is about assessing personal risk management issues. In the case of an amusement park, I PERSONALLY feel I face a much greater risk carrying inside the park than I do from being able to use my firearm in the park to defend myself and/or my family. I risk dropping it on a ride, exposing it, getting is a hassle with park management, discharging it by accident, or creating more problems by using it even if I am assaulted. Parks are full of families and kids. Statistically, they are one of the least risky places for violent assault. Even if I did feel the need to use my ccw, the risk of hitting an innocent child bystander are great, and I'd rather take that bullet/beating/assault and die from it than live knowing I took an innocent child's life. But that's just me.

I would leave mine in my car, then return for it for the evening activities. I know you want to carry in the park, and that's fine with me. I am just expressing my opinion.
    I think you're confusing me with the OP. He has mentioned though that he won't have a car available... so what would you do then?

On the other hand, I wouldn't even think about not carrying in a park... or anywhere else for that matter. I carry everywhere unless it's legally prohibited. That's half the reason I don't go to the bar anymore, in WA it's prohibited by law. The other half of why I don't go to the bar is because I don't want to...

-- John F. Kennedy

I think you're confusing me with the OP. He has mentioned though that he won't have a car available... so what would you do then?

On the other hand, I wouldn't even think about not carrying in a park... or anywhere else for that matter. I carry everywhere unless it's legally prohibited. That's half the reason I don't go to the bar anymore, in WA it's prohibited by law. The other half of why I don't go to the bar is because I don't want to...
    No - I didn't have you confused with the OP, but was trying to answer too many issues with one post. My apologies.

That said, it's all personal decisions. I respect your opinion and your rights.

I still go to the boozer, but leave my ccw at home as it's illegal where I live as well. Am I at risk? Sure. But I have good friends and family that join me for drinks, cards, and comaraderie. The beers are cold, the food is great, and no one has to "host". Works for us.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links