Roller Coaster Carry

Roller Coaster Carry

This is a discussion on Roller Coaster Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be going to theme park that is not illegal for me to carry into. I have already checked multiple online forums and confirmed ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Roller Coaster Carry

Roller Coaster Carry

I will be going to theme park that is not illegal for me to carry into. I have already checked multiple online forums and confirmed this, there are no searches of persons upon entering.

My question for you is what option would you prefer for carrying for 10 plus hours per day for a week, I will be going on many roller coasters as well. Obviously the safety of the firearm staying holstered is most important, and comfort is second. I have already ruled out any waist carry.

My two options:

-Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in reasonably deep pockets, spare mag in weak hand pocket.

or

- Glock 26 with G19 spare mag in a smart carry holster.

Im leaning towards the LCP as I will be at this park for a week and it will be hot, and this is a more comfortable option for me, but I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance for your replies

I've never pocket carried or used the Smart Carry. Of your 2 options I would say pocket carry the LC9, although personally I'd prefer to have the GLOCK.

Have fun!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I wouldn't carry. I would go and have fun with family/friends and try to carry another means of self defense. I would be personally nervous about any ride that went upside down. I could just imagine that loud "clanking" noise as my gun comes out of my pants :what:

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    GunTrooper, l1a1, MadMac and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    I'll side with Mattmann on this.

I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to stay armed at all times, but there are certain activities where I view a firearm as more of a liability than an asset. I have plenty of other self-defense tools.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'll side with Mattmann on this.

I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to stay armed at all times, but there are certain activities where I view a firearm as more of a liability than an asset. I have plenty of other self-defense tools.
    An honor to be sided with whec! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I wouldn't carry. I would go and have fun with family/friends and try to carry another means of self defense. I would be personally nervous about any ride that went upside down. I could just imagine that loud "clanking" noise as my gun comes out of my pants :what:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I third this IMO just too much could go wrong.

VIP Member
    An honor to be sided with whec! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    LOL. I sense sarcasm.

I've done both pocket carry and Smartcarry on roller coasters. No issues. BUT - I do NOT do the upside-down ones. No thanks!

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

This.
    This might be one of those moments where, even though you can, it's probably not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've done both pocket carry and Smartcarry on roller coasters. No issues. BUT - I do NOT do the upside-down ones. No thanks!
    no upside down ones for me either, no way, no how!

I have ridden many roller coasters & I can say no matter how well you think you have everything secured after you go upside down at those speeds etc there is a chance of things falling out you didn't intend to. I would hate to lose my weapon but even worse would hate my weapon to accidentally hurt someone.

VIP Member
    Are there security lockers at the theme park? Carry before and after the ride and stow the gun when riding. But I would think that a good inside the pants holster would keep your handgun secure. When you're locked into the ride, couldn't you keep your hand on the outside of your pants on the top of the gun?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I ain't goin on no ride what can rip an LCP out of my jeans pocket!!!!!
    Hoganbeg, 9mmHP and ColoradoLady like this.

what do you think of a fanny pack? keep it in my pocket when I enter, so it won't be noticed when security looks in the fanny pack, then put it in there at the restroom in the park?

I think this issue is over-thought. First, have you ridden these rides? The seats are barely wide enough for a 12 year old's hips and have big padded bolsters on the side to prevent you from moving side to side, and a big padded bar that locks down around your pelvic crease (lap) to keep your butt in the seat. If anything, you're only going to come away with bruised kidneys from having your piece slammed into your side a few times. With pocket carry, I doubt if you could even get that thing out of your pocket from a seated position in a roller coaster even if you wanted too. Also, I question the effectiveness of a holster that will release a gun that easily. If there was a vital issue with guns flying out at parks that allow them, do you think they continue to allow you to carry? How about you just cinch your belt down a little and enjoy the ride.
    l1a1 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links