Concealed Carry and Secret Service or other specialized LEO's

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Secret Service or other specialized LEO's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. An interesting question occurred to me while reading an article about the President visiting Atlanta today. I have my concealed carry permit and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry and Secret Service or other specialized LEO's

Hello everyone. An interesting question occurred to me while reading an article about the President visiting Atlanta today. I have my concealed carry permit and carry every day. The article I came across mentioned a stop the President made to a local fast food joint/landmark, The Varsity.
    I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool to be one of the random customers who happened to be at the Varsity when the President made his visit. This thought was followed immediately by the fact that I'm sure the secret service would not allow me anywhere near the President with a weapon on my hip.
    What happens in that situation? Are you frisked? Questioned? Asked politely to leave? What if I want to stay, can I go ditch my piece in the car?
    I'm sure there are other situations where security of some kind shows up unsuspected to secure an area and CCW suddenly becomes an issue. Does anyone have experiences like this or know how those situations are handled?

Thanks

Administrator
    Being part of a presidential security detail more than once, I can assure you that there is no "random" customer. Everything is secured, prechecked and rechecked prior to the VIP's arrival. I would imagine that if you happen to be there during the securing and pre check, you would be given a chance to leave or secure your weapon if you wanted to stay.
    NH_Esau, Secret Spuk and DaveH like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Sixto is absolutely right. Many years ago I worked the details for Johnson and the VP both in the US and overseas. Nothing left to chance - at least they are not supposed to be:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by MDAnna81 View Post
    Hello everyone. An interesting question occurred to me while reading an article about the President visiting Atlanta today. I have my concealed carry permit and carry every day. The article I came across mentioned a stop the President made to a local fast food joint/landmark, The Varsity.
    I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool to be one of the random customers who happened to be at the Varsity when the President made his visit. This thought was followed immediately by the fact that I'm sure the secret service would not allow me anywhere near the President with a weapon on my hip.
    What happens in that situation? Are you frisked? Questioned? Asked politely to leave? What if I want to stay, can I go ditch my piece in the car?
    I'm sure there are other situations where security of some kind shows up unsuspected to secure an area and CCW suddenly becomes an issue. Does anyone have experiences like this or know how those situations are handled?

Thanks
    Only supporters would be allowed in the same establishment, and once the SS gives you a once over....you won't be there anyway and none of it ever happened. Comprende? I figure none of the American general public has had this experience when carrying. Keep your dream alive however. Play it as many times as you wish.

Administrator
    I'll also add that I was close enough to reach out and touch GB jr while armed very well... and I can say with certainty that if I had bad intentions I would not of got far at all. It is a very unique yet fascinating atmosphere created when the president is close by; and thats all I'm going to say about that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Man its a honor to be on the forum with men like yall! I for one look up to y'all for sure!:beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I dont know why it would be cool to see obama...
    mkh, danwdooley, W9HDG and 10 others like this.

mkh
    Coolest I ever did was worked a security detail for a U.S. Senator once. My hat is off to you guys that worked presidential details.

I heard on the news yesterday that, they are removing even plastic forks and knives before the king arrives

Senator McCain attends my church, well he attends when it's election time
    I regularly carried, even dealt with SS officers and shook Sen McCains hand all while carrying a Colt Combat Commander OWB. NEVER an issue.
    Maybe the fact that I was a volunteer sound engineer made the difference, I don't know.

Tom

P95
    I am humbled.....lot to learn from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by scout706 View Post
    Senator McCain attends my church, well he attends when it's election time
    I regularly carried, even dealt with SS officers and shook Sen McCains hand all while carrying a Colt Combat Commander OWB. NEVER an issue.
    Maybe the fact that I was a volunteer sound engineer made the difference, I don't know.

Tom
    Difference in security pkg and precautions between POTUS and other protectees, even VPOTUS, FLOTUS, or major candidate is like comparing a shark to a minnow.

An open carrier here in PA didn't know Romney was at a Wawa store where he usually got coffee. He waited for his coffee (because no one was allowed in the store while Romney was inside), while OCing, but was watched closely by the Secret Service (according to him).

Accidentally spooked...The United States Secret Service.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Just make sure you don't say anything negative about the candidate as you'll be considered a protesters and the SS will have you arrested and indefinately detained as some sort of domestic terrorist.

What have we allowed our government to become????

www.getcorded.com
    danwdooley likes this.

Interesting topic that I've never considered since I have a greater chance of being struck by lightening twicxe in the same week than I do of ever being near the current president.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links