Traveling to California - Page 2

Traveling to California

This is a discussion on Traveling to California within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fish_4_Fun Could it be Cali does not recognize any other state because most them only require a fifth grade education and a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Traveling to California

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Fun View Post
    Could it be Cali does not recognize any other state because most them only require a fifth grade education and a five minute safety class to get a permit. J/K
    That's because the typical non-Californian can actually be responsible and competent with a firearm at 5th grade. The typical Californian is ignorant and votes as such.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Come on. It's not that bad here? How many times do you see a bad CCW shooting in Cali on the news?(Maybe because the state only has 1000 issued CCW permits ) Look it's pretty simple, Cali may not issue alot of permits but the ones they do issue are not taken for granted. I can not recall the last time we had a case like Z in the national news. I may be misinformed but who knows.

Sorry not trying to high jack.

Have a nice day everyone.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Fun View Post
    Come on. It's not that bad here? How many times do you see a bad CCW shooting in Cali on the news?(Maybe because the state only has 1000 issued CCW permits ) Look it's pretty simple, Cali may not issue alot of permits but the ones they do issue are not taken for granted. I can not recall the last time we had a case like Z in the national news. I may be misinformed but who knows.

Sorry not trying to high jack.

Have a nice day everyone.
    Actually, the number is more than 37,000. And why is it we're not on the news? Simple, we're not the problem. The "bad" thing about California are the laws like reciprocity, transportation of firearms, type of arms banned, limitations on ammo capacity etc. that blanket the entire state's population in the name of that warm and fuzzy feeling. It's a joke and I beg of them to give us proof that it makes things better. Proof, not hope.

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Unsure about trip to California

Hi:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Los Angeles, CA in July. We will be bringing my daughter (and her new car) back to the University of Southern California. I have a Louisiana CCW permit, and have traveled with it many times...but so far, *always* in my truck, and *always* in neighboring reciprocal CCW states.

Excluding California, all of the states we will travel through on the way to L.A. are reciprocal states with Louisiana...unless we happen through New Mexico.

My questions are: Once we arrive in California, will I be okay if I lock my unloaded firearm in the trunk of the car?

Also: We will be flying back to Lafayette, LA from Los Angeles. What steps do I need to follow to send my firearm home in checked baggage?

Quote Originally Posted by syates View Post
    Hi:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Los Angeles, CA in July. We will be bringing my daughter (and her new car) back to the University of Southern California. I have a Louisiana CCW permit, and have traveled with it many times...but so far, *always* in my truck, and *always* in neighboring reciprocal CCW states.

Excluding California, all of the states we will travel through on the way to L.A. are reciprocal states with Louisiana...unless we happen through New Mexico.

My questions are: Once we arrive in California, will I be okay if I lock my unloaded firearm in the trunk of the car?
    Also: We will be flying back to Lafayette, LA from Los Angeles. What steps do I need to follow to send my firearm home in checked baggage?
    Taken from Traveling with Firearms in California | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

As far as flying, I would go to your airline's website and find out how you can declare the firearm.

Under the seat loaded is concealed in most places. Be careful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links