Traveling to California

This is a discussion on Traveling to California within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be heading from Texas to San Diego, CA in early July for vacation. I know I can't conceal carry but can I legally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Traveling to California

Traveling to California

I will be heading from Texas to San Diego, CA in early July for vacation. I know I can't conceal carry but can I legally carry my handgun in my vehicle and if so can I keep it loaded under my seat in a lockbox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I'll be travelling to the communist state of California soon as well, although I am flying. Guess I'll be leaving the protection at home. :\
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

The ammo needs to be separated from the handgun by a lock. It cant be the glove box. Cable lock the Gun box and put the ammo in the center console. If you get stopped you are transporting the firearm to your hotel. You cant just be out driving around with it.
    This is from memory as I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Sure wish the liberal lawmakers would get their head out of their a**es and understand people have a right to defend themselves. It would be nice if they had reprocity with Texas.

danwdooley likes this.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    Sure wish the liberal lawmakers would get their head out of their a**es and understand people have a right to defend themselves.
    Then they wouldn't be liberal lawmakers.
    JoeK likes this.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Quote Originally Posted by danwdooley View Post
    Then they wouldn't be liberal lawmakers.
    Ok, maybe I should have said that I wish all the liberal lawmakers would get voted out of office and people with common sense would get voted in. :)

I will be heading from Texas to San Diego, CA in early July for vacation. I know I can't conceal carry but can I legally carry my handgun in my vehicle and if so can I keep it loaded under my seat in a lockbox?

First off I'd like to apologize on behalf of the entire state of California for not having any sense whatsoever. I'd also like to thank the great people of Texas who let me carry while I'm there as they recognize my license to carry.

Here's a snip... The transportation or carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
    concealed upon the person by any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years
    who resides or is temporarily within this state, and is not within the excepted classes
    prescribed by Penal Code Sections 12021 or 12021.1 or Welfare and Institutions Code sections
    8100 or 8103, provided that the following applies:
    - the firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container
    in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment, and;
    - when the firearm is carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, the
    firearm must be contained in a locked container while being physically carried. (Penal Code
    12026.1.)

Taken from pg. 28 of http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...s/Cfl2007.pdf?

San Diego is not a very gun-friendly part of the state so they aren't used to anyone but the bad guys having the guns. (Well, on their person that is) As you can see, the desert areas of the state and the far north parts are very used to and supportive of gunowners. Not sure where you're going to pattywak but here's a map that shows areas that are better than others.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...cw_map-big.png

Rotorblade is correct. And as long as you're traveling with it like he explained, you should be ok even if stopped in San Diego county. Just don't give them any reason to search your trunk.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Thanks for the info. Maybe one day California will be free and become a "shall issue" state and have reprocity with Texas(but I won't hold my breath:) ) because I sure enjoy traveling there and escaping the hot Texas summers.

Ok, maybe I should have said that I wish all the liberal lawmakers would get voted out of office and people with common sense would get voted in. :)

Well looking at the map above, you can actually see where all of these people are that think like the lawmakers and why they're voted in. The brown, red and yellow areas are where all of the population is. I probably didn't need to say it, but it's also where most of the crime is too. Imagine that.

I can't blame people for making fun of how stupid Calif. is in general, but not all of us are blind out here. Believe it or not, it's getting better. Look at Sacramento County. I was actually floored when I heard that they were going to begin issuing licenses. A couple of days ago I talked to a lady that I know through work. She's in sales and travels up my way about once every couple of months. She said that they actually had to put a hold on issuing licenses due to the overwhelming response from the people who live there. Sac. Co. of all places. Can you believe it?!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Not sure, but doesn't CA also have a 10 round magazine limit that will play into it also?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not sure, but doesn't CA also have a 10 round magazine limit that will play into it also?
    Yes...forgot about that one.....
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

There are a lot of places I would like to visit in California ,,,,, but regretfully ,,,, I
    WILL NOT BE GOING THERE,,,,, it is to much of a communist state.

Thanks for the info. Maybe one day California will be free and become a "shall issue" state and have reprocity with Texas(but I won't hold my breath:) ) because I sure enjoy traveling there and escaping the hot Texas summers.

Could it be Cali does not recognize any other state because most them only require a fifth grade education and a five minute safety class to get a permit. J/K
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Fun View Post
    Could it be Cali does not recognize any other state because most them only require a fifth grade education and a five minute safety class to get a permit. J/K
    Well that's about 3 grade level higher than required to be a legislator in CA.
    BkCo1, tessa, mprp and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    The ammo needs to be separated from the handgun by a lock. It cant be the glove box. Cable lock the Gun box and put the ammo in the center console. If you get stopped you are transporting the firearm to your hotel. You cant just be out driving around with it.
    This is from memory as I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    This is accurate information
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links