Heading to Colorado and need clarification...

This is a discussion on Heading to Colorado and need clarification... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I will be taking a trip to Colorado soon. We will be riding on a motorcycle. My CPL, while recognized in all ...

Thread: Heading to Colorado and need clarification...

Heading to Colorado and need clarification...

My wife and I will be taking a trip to Colorado soon. We will be riding on a motorcycle. My CPL, while recognized in all other states we pass through, is NOT recognized in Colorado. I Understand that it is legal for me to carry a loaded,concealed weapon "in my private automobile or other means of conveyance"

18-12-105(2)(b) “Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon – unlawful possession of weapons.”
    (2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:A person carrying a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for lawful protection of such person’s or another’s person or property...

The code goes on to say "...[C.R.S. 18-12-105.6] Colorado law allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, you cannot carry the weapon concealed on or about your person while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon

Does this mean that I can carry concealed while on the bike, but must somehow transfer to:
    1) open Carry, and is open carry understood and excepted in Colorado or:
    2) some how transfer the gun from concealed carry and lock it securely in a saddle bag ? ( hard bags, with locks) when I go from the bike to the hotel, to get gas, etc..,?

The law prohibits anyone without a recognized CPL/CCW from carrying within 1000 feet of a school and various other specific locations as well...I am not sure I can make certain that my path of travel would allow be to stay these distances from all required areas, so thoughts on that appreciated as well...

Any Knowledgeable input is greatly appreciated...I will be traveling mostly in the Durango and 4 corners area, so no "big" cities...Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I would be more concerned about straying on to Indian land. It's kind of a patchwork of reservations in that area so always know where you're at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    You can open carry in CO no problem and you can conceal it on you while riding your bike, but you'd have to transfer it to open carry or put it in the bag when you are getting gas, going to your hotel room, etc.

Also, CO has the force of law for gunbuster signs, so keep an eye out for those if you are carrying openly.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

cj
    My area gets lots of bikers through town, and I occasionally run into them open carrying, so they're probably in the same situation as you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Also, CO has the force of law for gunbuster signs, so keep an eye out for those if you are carrying openly.
    Is this new, or possibly something local? The last I knew, there's no official gunbuster sign in CO, and the only prohibition (besides the federally-defined ones) I knew about is, "Any public building that prohibits ALL weapons which posts guards and permanent metal detectors at all entrances and requires all entrants to surrender handguns to security personnel before entry", which would imply a trespassing charge if you were discovered and asked to leave.

Please double check my information, but I think open carry is allowed in Colorado, EXCEPT in the county of Denver. My understanding is that as long as you avoid Denver and Denver county, you're okay with OC.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Please forgive my misinformation about the "no gun signs" having the force of law. Apparently I previously misread that section on handgunlaws.us, though I see that section was updated earlier this month.

Signs do not have the force of law in CO. You can be asked to leave by the property owner for carrying there, but you cannot be charged for simply having a gun in restricted private property (unless you refuse to leave, of course).
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Unlike concealed carry, open carry IS subject to local regulation and is illegal in Denver and Aurora, but there could be others. To each his own, but to me there's no reason to carry it on the bike if you can't carry it when you stop. There's nothing that can happen on the road that your gun is a solution for. Even if some nut started shooting at you, you can't effectively shoot back while riding. Your best weapon is the maneuverability and performance of your bike.

I ride and I carry while I do frequently, but primarly so I'm armed when I reach my destination. I guess I could shoot left handed while riding, but I can't imagine a scenario where that would make more sense than escaping on the bike.

Links