To tell or not to tell

To tell or not to tell

This is a discussion on To tell or not to tell within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you're pulled over, and carrying concealed. Would you... A: Only give the officer what he asks for. B: Tell the officer you are carrying ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: To tell or not to tell

To tell or not to tell

When you're pulled over, and carrying concealed. Would you...

A: Only give the officer what he asks for.
    B: Tell the officer you are carrying a weapon up front.
    C: Give him your Concealed license with any other paperwork he asks for.
    D: (Insert your own thoughts here)

Guess it depends on which state I'm in at the time and the laws thereof...

I never will offer any information to anyone trying to "build a case" against me from first contact.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Although FL has no duty to inform, I have...never a problem.
    It has always been pretty much ignored by the LEO..."O.K., thanks for telling me."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Yep depends on the state. Arkansas you have to inform and I have never had a problem.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    North Carolina is must inform, when officer approaches I tell him I have a permit and am armed, “How would you like to proceed” never had a problem.
    MadMac likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I would B and C. Just in case he or she decides to give me a hug. Even in a state with no duty to inform.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Iowa has no duty to inform... I haven't been stopped since I got my latest PCW. If pulled over, I intend to hand him my license, registration, proof of insurance, and PCW.

While LEO may be "trying to "build a case" against me from first contact," I'm trying to ruin the foundation of his building...
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

P95
    C I think is the correct action.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I have no problem handing over my CWP with my DL
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Iowa has no duty to inform... I haven't been stopped since I got my latest PCW. If pulled over, I intend to hand him my license, registration, proof of insurance, and PCW.

While LEO may be "trying to "build a case" against me from first contact," I'm trying to ruin the foundation of his building...
    Good point...thanx.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    If I were in Virginia, I'm not required to inform. If I were in Oklahoma, I would be required to inform. So you can see there is no cut and dried answer to your question.

I have no problem informing that I am carrying lawfully, regardless of whether it is required or not.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm required to inform in Nebraska.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I inform any time I'm contacted by law enforcement even though I believe Texas no longer considers that an issue. I inform when out of state as well. Only one time out of probably a dozen (not just traffic) have they asked me to put it up. Well, there was a second if I wanted to ride with them to see if I could ID the guy, but I opted to drive myself after almost shooting that dude last year.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    I've only been pulled over once since I've started CC-ing (someone had stolen my plate and I hadn't noticed ), and I went with C. The trooper was very professional. He saw the CHL, asked if I had a gun on me (I did), ran my licence(s), told me how to get a replacement plate, and sent me on my way.

I'd have no reservations about doing the same in the future.

Here in this state we gotta tell. It didn't start out that way, and I've had LEO pissed at me when I wasn't carrying and didn't tell. My DL and CHCL need to be stapled together pretty much. One of these days....the powers that be will integrate the CHCL on the DL for my state. That would be way cool and I know they have the technology to do it. It's just who's in charge of what and how they could work as a team to make things a bit easier on us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links