Laser Sights--- All they're cracked up to be?

This is a discussion on Laser Sights--- All they're cracked up to be? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So most people on here know that I make concealed carry holsters, that's not my main point however, I just mention it for context. I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Laser Sights--- All they're cracked up to be?

Sponsor

So most people on here know that I make concealed carry holsters, that's not my main point however, I just mention it for context. I get a lot of requests for special holsters that will accommodate this or that laser, some we can do some we can't but again that's not the focus.

Why the huge laser craze? I have one gun that had crimson trace laser grips on it when I purchased it and I have a number of complaints.

1. Impossible to see in daylight (mine is a red dot, I hear green performs better but don't see many green dot lasers on the market)
    2. I never "see" the laser because my instinct and training put my eyes on the front sight
    3. In the dark the laser origin is very bright and easy to identify
    4. Difficult to find quality holsters that accommodate every unique setup (Uncle Mike's will fit some... but so will a sack tied to your belt)

So far the only useful thing about the laser is that people who know nothing about guns think it's really cool, which is also frustrating to me, because I believe the gun it's attached to is much more interesting and impressive. The only other reasoning I've ever heard is for intimidation factor, which to me isn't merited. I'm not a cop, I don't draw my gun in order to subdue people. I know every situation is different, but my training tells me that if my gun clears leather, then rounds are coming out of the barrel, therefore, intimidation is of no real use to me.

Is there anyone who can give me a reasonable argument where lasers are worth the trouble?

Personally, I don't see much use of the laser for me just yet. Holding some sample blue guns with lasers at the gun store, I find myself either ignoring the laser and looking at my front sight or just looking for the laser and ignoring the sights.

I'm sure for some people they may help, but for me I still prefer learning to use the sights.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Distinguished Member
    I've got ct.'s on one and I'll be selling soon. Fun but that's it
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I think they are hollywood :) Worthless and expensive
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

P95
    People think it's cool

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Lasers are for sharks... or sea bass.

VIP Member
    I have a couple of light/laser units that I have used.

Lasers are useful when you cannot use the sights or are simply not using the sights. You use the laser to provide a "general purpose" aiming point. I agree the red lasers are hard to see in the daytime. I have a green visible laser for my rifle that I have played with and I must say at 100 yards in the bright sunlight of the desert you can see it without problem.

What you have to get used to is focusing on the laser and not the sights I to want to look at the sights and laser and it simply does not work.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

20 some years ago when I got my 1st pistol I added a laser sight to it. Gernered alot of attention at the range, and helped me learn sight picture and trigger discipline. Once I got trained and became proficient with using the sights, I took it off and never went back. It looked cool, but I became a better and faster shooter by learning to use the sights and not having to try and locate and track the red dot.
    MNgunner likes this.

In certain situations, where bringing the piece to eye level cannot be done, they can be used for track firing. This is the only use I find for them.

I have found no real advantage, and do not have one.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have two handguns with CT grips and like them. They've been good for training but I don't plan on buying anymore.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

1. Impossible to see in daylight (mine is a red dot, I hear green performs better but don't see many green dot lasers on the market)
    Most SD shootings are in low light/no light situations so the laser is very bright. Green dot lasers are hard on batteries and are more expensive to make and drive up the cost at selling/ they have a shorter life span

2. I never "see" the laser because my instinct and training put my eyes on the front sight
    laser serve more of a tactical edge/ situations where you might not be able to get a sight picture/ shooting from the chest area. Ruger LCP’s are a great gun to have a laser on because of the poor sights

3. In the dark the laser origin is very bright and easy to identify
    If you watch C/T cd they send out for free it tells you not to keep the laser on all the time when clearing your house because of that very reason but then having a light on your gun is a bigger give away

4. Difficult to find quality holsters that accommodate every unique setup (Uncle Mike's will fit some... but so will a sack tied to your belt)
    There are Lots of different lasers on the market that fit a standard holster like laserlyte and C/T that mount on the back or top of the firearm. if need be a custom holster might be in order or a small modification to your existing holster will work too
    10thmtn likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    20 some years ago when I got my 1st pistol I added a laser sight to it. Gernered alot of attention at the range, and helped me learn sight picture and trigger discipline. Once I got trained and became proficient with using the sights, I took it off and never went back. It looked cool, but I became a better and faster shooter by learning to use the sights and not having to try and locate and track the red dot.
    Good point, it can be used as a training aid, in fact, now that you mention it, I actually remember using mine to practice good trigger squeeze on dry fire exercises, but still, not something I'd want (or felt like I need) when I'm walking around.

Now night sights are a totally different story. Or even a flashlight, I'd take either over a laser on my carry piece.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Learning to point shoot is free (-ammo)... and more useful in humble little my opinion, from someone who's never been in a stressful life threatening situation.

:)

K.I.S.S.

Nothing needs to be mounted on my carry guns (night sights, maybe)... I prefer my flashlight be in my weak hand so I can aim it anywhere and not risk pointing my gun at something I don't want to DESTROY or become an easy target for someone who does want to destroy me.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I have CT laser grips on my Colt Commander and I think it could be beneficial for SD situations where I can't get my gun up to eye level to line up the sights. Also, they help me get on target much quicker than trying to line up those sights. Granted, I'm not as trained as others so that might not be the case for everyone. But, for me, it's helpful while I hone my skills.

Also, I've heard the argument that when things go bad, it could be helpful in proving that you weren't just firing recklessly, since you have a laser to help see where the bullet(s) would go. I'm not sure if that would matter, but when it comes to the law, I'd rather take every precaution I can to minimize the hassle that will inevitably come.

I will say that it's just a tool. It's a potentially helpful tool, but it's a tool all the same. I like them, but you have to train without them in case they fail (tools break, after all). I think they have their uses and aren't just eye candy. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

IMO....lasers are okay under artificial lighting or low lighting, or no lighting. As far as holsters are concerned, I think CTC LaserGrips are about the best thing on the market and they won't affect most holster fits. As far as a rail mounted, under the muzzle type appendage for carry......I'm not a fan at all. My external mounted lights/lasers get put on my HD firearms for good reasons. Good friend of mine who is also a gunsmith and LE dealer for Glock swears by his internal (recoil rod) laser in his G23....which again won't affect holster fit. I guess one could say the same thing about night sights on pistols, but those are not as easily exchanged for conditions as the more modular devices. Personally.......I can't see why most folks would want to deal with all that sort of thing unless they are a mall cop, or parking lot police. How many law enforcement personnel add a laser or light to their pistol for duty use? Anyway......chalk it all up to the movies and that guys simply like gizmos. If I was a holster maker, I wouldn't offer the attached external light/laser model as standard. And if I had to buy tooling to accommodate, I'd have to have a minimum number of orders to start with. Realize also that it might be what's hip today, and gone tomorrow. I say leave it up to the big dogs in the industry to fill the niche so long as it exists. The home town shop couldn't really verify the costs or the bottom line. Stick to the basics of quality and service for your existing line of holsters and forget about others whims. Plenty of folks WANT more than they NEED these days. However in open carry states the light/laser gizmo holster ordeal may very well be a fashion statement. I can't say.....maybe we should ask?
    Good luck on this ordeal. Post a poll if you want, but still difficult to gauge the market.
    The old days of 'build it and they will come' and if you 'make it they'll take it' is long gone. Now you've got sole survivors and those on prescription meds. Don't forget the full moon days and those weeks when FX runs Rambo and Die Hard movies. LOL!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links