Reality

This is a discussion on Reality within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac Two words: Overactive imagination. Yes, anything can happen to anyone at anytime. How much time/effort did you spend protecting yourself from ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Reality

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Two words: Overactive imagination.

Yes, anything can happen to anyone at anytime. How much time/effort did you spend protecting yourself from a potential lightning strike today? The odds are about the same. You must not be taking the potential destructive power of lightning very seriously..... You're playing Russian roulette with your life by not carrying around a defibrilator and having EMT training, too.
    I carry an entire US Army field survival manual on my smartphone. As long as my battery lasts, I'm totally prepared to handle any situation.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

You need a new hobby like gardening or sewing, since personal risk managment is obviously not your strong suit.....

..and those quotes from modern-day pistoleros like Clint Smith and that LtCol What'shisname...... That's like quoting Colonel Sanders about your need to eat more fried chicken. The dude sells pistol training to put food on his table. Guess what? I'll bet you he thinks everyone who practices concealed carry needs to take all his courses, as well. What would Gomer say? "Surrr-prise, surr-prise."
    Well, I survived 32 years as a cop in some of the highest crime area's of the country, risk management is a little different when you are the guy that run's to the sound of gunfire. I quoted Clint Smith to make a point, never met the man, never took a class from him. If you have decided to carry a gun for defense, you have assumed a burden. If that is uncomfortable, stay on the couch and do needlepoint.

Why not throw in my thoughts. Self defense ammo has come a long way in that most calibers will carry sufficient energy and create a nice wound channel. It is a matter of what YOU are comfortable with. Find a gun that you like and can shoot well. Practice and eventually any discomfort you have carrying, no matter the size, will disappear. For those anal folks I do not mean that you can make a S&W 460 6" magnum a comfortable carry.

I am quite comfortable with with my EDC which is 90% either a H&K P2000 or P2000sk. When concealment is a huge problem I can carry a Kahr. I like .40, except for the Kahr, it gives me a nice middle of the road answer for capacity and bullet size.

If you carry a $3000 Les Baer in a $300 custom holster and do not practice and train it will not matter. If you practice and train properly your $400 Sig Pro in a $30 Don Hume will serve you very well.

Lastly I feel the safety is a very personal choice. I have a 1911 which I love to shoot but almost never carry. Coming from NY I came to guns late in life. I do not have 30 years of experience that flips the safety without a thought. I shoot a 1911 in competition and when you get nervous you can forget. I have probably forgot to engage the safety 5% of the time in competition. Maybes 2 seconds lost. In a gunfight maybe your life lost.

Those of us who enjoy guns and are committed to self defense will practice an train for a very rare encounter. Enjoy your practice and training. Hell! It's fun. Don't get too serious about life. You aren't going to make it out alive.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy 2 View Post
    3 to 7 feet?, How many attacks lately have been AK type weapons, how well do you do at 50 yds against a rifle? I can't always carry what I want everywhere. I have guns from .380 to .44-.45, I sure hope I have an adequete weapon if and when I need it but we don't know when or where do we.

John
    I reckon I'll get small or find cover and whip out my snubbie (with reload) and lay down suppressive fire until the cops show up.

I'm going with my LC9, and the LCP for daily cc. Xtra mag carrier for both Rugers. I honestly think that I'm set for most shtf. If 28 pills isn't enough..guess I'm in pretty bad trouble.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Let me ask the experts one question...... I often hear and read about the factoid that most defensive encounters happen at less than 6 feet...... Is that really true. Couldn't these distances be skewed with encounters between law enforcement officers and possible felons? A law officer is often very close to possible law breakers......often within arms-length....that's their job, right?. Do these defensive encounter distance figures include law enforcment encounters......or does it only include civilians?

Administrator
    Attack the opinion should you happen to disagree. Have at it but, please don't attack the OP.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    LMAO, I guess my imagination took over when it happened to me.(not lighting) The defib machine, that just silly. Taking ones defense serious doesnt equate to prepping for all things. Talk about an imagination....
    You dare to but heads with "Statistic Man"? How daft of you, numbers don't lie.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Madmac: I think the "LTC pistolero" you referred to was probably Dave Grossman--who wrote the book "On Killing". If it was Dave you were referring to, he would NOT call himself a pistolero and your characterization of him is rather unfair and unjust. He is a Psychologist who was also an Army Ranger and his book and talks are not so much about pistol tactics as about the physcological aspects and impacts on people when they kill other humans and preparing those who go in harm's way.

Some of us who have had terrifying and life-altering encounters at the hands of bad guys take our training and SA fairly seriously. I am not a slave to feeling constantly victimized, but I know from first hand experience that bad guys do NOT make appointments and can show up unannounced during the most mundane of life's moments and a day can go from a great family day to absolute terror in the blink of an eye.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

You need a new hobby like gardening or sewing, since personal risk managment is obviously not your strong suit.....
    Hey, hey, hey, hey....hey. I tend to agree with the majority here about carrying as large a caliber (and reloads) as possible, but don't crap on my gardening and sewing. Both are honorable endeavors and being involved in both doesn't make one any less a person. So if you would. Thank you.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Hey, hey, hey, hey....hey. I tend to agree with the majority here about carrying as large a caliber (and reloads) as possible, but don't crap on my gardening and sewing. Both are honorable endeavors and being involved in both doesn't make one any less a person. So if you would. Thank you.
    Statistically he knew this would be your response.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Statistically he knew this would be your response.
    Didn't take a mind reader to see this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Never found flicking my thumb 1/2" to be all that time consuming on my 1911 which I carry daily. I'll take my chances with it, knowing it puts bullets where I aim, and VERY large ones at that.
    goldmaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Please reread my post, and you'll see I encourage said poster to take up one or both of these honorable and enjoyable pasttimes. I felt he was spending too much time fretting over a zombie apocalypse.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Well, I survived 32 years as a cop in some of the highest crime area's of the country, risk management is a little different when you are the guy that run's to the sound of gunfire. I quoted Clint Smith to make a point, never met the man, never took a class from him. If you have decided to carry a gun for defense, you have assumed a burden. If that is uncomfortable, stay on the couch and do needlepoint.
    Absolutely no disagreement from me. Risk management is quite different for many people, but my reading here convinces me most are not LEOs or ex-LEOs who work in high crime areas. If you are one of these folks, my remarks do not apply.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links