Reality

This is a discussion on Reality within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba You dare to but heads with "Statistic Man"? How daft of you, numbers don't lie. Bubba you crack me up, thats ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Reality

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You dare to but heads with "Statistic Man"? How daft of you, numbers don't lie.
    Bubba you crack me up, thats why we keep you around.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Please reread my post, and you'll see I encourage said poster to take up one or both of these honorable and enjoyable pasttimes. I felt he was spending too much time fretting over a zombie apocalypse.
    Oh....ok. I understand. Thank you and sorry for being quick to defend my "art".
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You dare to but heads with "Statistic Man"? How daft of you, numbers don't lie.
    I enjoy Harry's eloquent and well-argued posts. He makes me think and consider different angles on many issues. I may not always agree, but I have great respect for him as a poster with his well-reasoned discussion points.

Too bad you used your post to just snark about me instead of posting something of the quality of Harryball.

BTW, one will "butt heads" , not "but heads", but I wouldn't dare call you a Butt Head. That's against our posting etiquette.

You need a new hobby like gardening or sewing, since personal risk managment is obviously not your strong suit.....

..and those quotes from modern-day pistoleros like Clint Smith and that LtCol What'shisname...... That's like quoting Colonel Sanders about your need to eat more fried chicken. The dude sells pistol training to put food on his table. Guess what? I'll bet you he thinks everyone who practices concealed carry needs to take all his courses, as well. What would Gomer say? "Surrr-prise, surr-prise."
    100% agree. In motorcycling there's a whole area of safety instruction, with classes, training, etc. You even have to take a class in most states to get an MC endorsement on your license. Not unlike a CCP. And of course every safety instructor insists that you're committing suicide to ride without having had his class, regardless of your experience level or years in the saddle. I laugh at that as I've survived crap in my 40 years of riding that would make most safety instructors mess their drawers. Two expressions come to mind:

"There's no teacher like experience."

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I enjoy Harry's eloquent and well-argued posts. He makes me think and consider different angles on many issues. I may not always agree, but I have great respect for him as a poster with his well-reasoned discussion points.

Too bad you used your post to just snark about me instead of posting something of the quality of Harryball.

BTW, one will "butt heads" , not "but heads", but I wouldn't dare call you a Butt Head. That's against our posting etiquette.
    Perhaps you misinterpreted my post. Maybe it was purely complimentary. Things are not always as they appear.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Bubba you crack me up, thats why we keep you around.....
    Happy to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    Let me ask the experts one question...... I often hear and read about the factoid that most defensive encounters happen at less than 6 feet...... Is that really true. Couldn't these distances be skewed with encounters between law enforcement officers and possible felons? A law officer is often very close to possible law breakers......often within arms-length....that's their job, right?. Do these defensive encounter distance figures include law enforcment encounters......or does it only include civilians?
    This often quoted distance comes from an FBI report on Officers killed in the line of duty. Departments are required to submit this report to the FBI anytime an officer is killed in the line of duty. That is where the 3 rounds in 3 seconds shootout came from. My take on that, being a career LEO, is train for that if you want to train to lose.

[QUOTE=40Bob;2305693]This often quoted distance comes from an FBI report on Officers killed in the line of duty. Departments are required to submit this report to the FBI anytime an officer is killed in the line of duty. That is where the 3 rounds in 3 seconds shootout came from. My take on that, being a career LEO, is train for that if you want to train to lose.[/QUOTE

Thanks 40Bob....... That is precisely my point. I'm not a law enforcement officer.......just a US Citizen. I don't look for trouble and would avoid it at nearly any cost. I think some people get all excited about LE statistics concerning defensive encounters. I really don't think there is much in common between a law enforcement officer and an ordinary US citizen with a concealed carry permit. I don't wear a uniform......I don't carry my weapon in the open......I don't look for trouble and would probably run from gunfire if given the chance. So many of the correlations that people draw between about defensive encounters really have nothing to do with a civilian with a concealed carry permit. I have the element of surprise as an advantage. A law enforcement officer stands out....uniform, open carry, etc...... And I would like to say that I wish all law enforcement officers the best....God bless them for the risk they take for us. I only have the utmost respect for you.....

It does make for good discussion doesnt it. You are right, we do not always agree, but it keeps things in balance IMO. Thanks for the kind words....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    100% agree. In motorcycling there's a whole area of safety instruction, with classes, training, etc. ... And of course every safety instructor insists that you're committing suicide to ride without having had his class, regardless of your experience level or years in the saddle.
    I was one of those instructors and damn near every one of the experienced riders admitted to learning important points during the class. At the end of the first night of my first course, a guy that had been riding for 20+ yrs came up to me and the other 24 yr old instructor and said "I can't believe I'm still around not knowing the stuff I learned just tonight." Don't take "my" class, take a class. Maybe you'd learn something to help you avoid that stuff instead of surviving it. Here's a quote:

“Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own”

Ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor man View Post
    We are not shooting great distances as some LEOS or through windshields or doors. In fact most derringers would do. The need for double stack mags is probably non existant as a CIVILIAN.
    LEOS are civilians, too. the difference is between members of the military, and the rest of us.

otherwise, i am in agreement with everything you said. nice work!

Logic is good, so long as you don't say 'boom stick' ever again
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links