Us and them...

This is a discussion on Us and them... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 Not everyone will train to a higher level and maybe they don't need to but the bad thing is if they ...

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree403Likes

Thread: Us and them...

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Not everyone will train to a higher level and maybe they don't need to but the bad thing is if they train to only the absolute basic, this is all I have to know level they are only cheating themselves. A punk with a .99 cent walmart knife may just beat them. Remember you do not want to have to sink to the other guys level in a SD confrontation whether it be with fists, knives or guns. When you do you are now in his world and he will beat you with experience everytime. You have to be better than the other guy.
    Well said, and thank you for your service.
    Spirit51 and tcox4freedom like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Hence the reason we train, and train as ofter as we do. Everyone has to make a choice and live with that choice. I do professional training 4-5 times per year and train and practice 3-5 times per week. When the wife and kids are in bed, Im dry firing, practicing my holster work, working on malfunctions. The people you speak of are worse case scenario, so train to it. JMO...
    This ^^^

Maybe I'm dense, but people actually prefer not to become proficient with their firearms on a Defensive Carry forum. Beyond me.

I just returned from a three-hour range session with my wife, who managed to hit IPSC target As with all her defensive carry guns from ten feet to 25 yards. And yes, she did draw from the holster.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MNgunner View Post
    Maybe I'm dense, but people actually prefer not to become proficient with their firearms on a Defensive Carry forum. Beyond me..
    Not feeling the need to shoot 3-5 times a week, or attend a training course 5 times a year, hardly means a person cannot be proficient with a firearm. They may not be über proficient, like you, but they can still be proficient with practicing just a couple of times a year.

To be honest I saw this thread as a barely subtle vehicle for the committed elitists to look down their noses at the less committed.

I think some of us just see a difference between defensive carry and extensive carry.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by MNgunner View Post
    Maybe I'm dense, but people actually prefer not to become proficient with their firearms on a Defensive Carry forum. Beyond me.
    This confuses me too.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Not feeling the need to shoot 3-5 times a week, or attend a training course 5 times a year, hardly means a person cannot be proficient with a firearm. They may not be über proficient, like you, but they can still be proficient with practicing just a couple of times a year.
    To be honest I saw this thread as a barely subtle vehicle for the committed elitists to look down their noses at the less committed.
    I think some of us just see a difference between defensive carry and extensive carry.

I am sure no one is looking down their nose at anyone, but some of the comments seem rather caviler (though they are probably not meant to be). I am not consumed by the subject, but it is never too far from my mind either. I practice drawing from my pocket or purse often (unloaded weapon) so I can correct any "bugs" that might occur. Better to find this out during "training" than have it hang up when actually needed. I don't so as much range work as I would like, but do when I have the opportunity. All this is done in the unlikely event that I am faced with such a incident. Being trained as a Paramedic....procedures where drilled into us....so when faced with them...they are second nature and done quickly with as little hesitation as possible. That is my training with a lethal weapon.

If your training is less...that is your choice. I don't live in your skin and not try to tell you what you should do. If it works for you...that is enough. If it doesn't work...you will be the first to know.

Each according to their own needs. But I find no fault in anyone whose training is more. It just shows a real commitment to the subject. I have seen comments that do try to make it seem like those who train more are some kind of "freak" and that is just wrong.....just as wrong as making someone who doesn't feel the need is lax in their commitment.
    tcox4freedom and Tayopo like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post

Chad, I just spit mountain dew all over my screen. I have never been called, considered, or even thought of as an Elitist. Thanks for the laugh. Sorry to get off topic...

P95
    P95 glad you are entertained, I like to make people happy and anytime you want some real entertainment come on over and visit me.

In case you have not noticed I don't live in a fantasy world I live and work in the war zones of the world providing security for the DoD and DoS where my personal skill level and proficiency with my weapons keeps myself and others alive but I don't expect you to even come close to understanding that since you think the "Warrior Mindset" is such a scary thing.
    My fantasy world consists of about coming home and seeing my kids, Lory, riding the Harleys and actually doing some training and shooting for myself instead of teaching others. I happen to like to train and to teach whether it is working with a SWAT team, Lory to ride a Harley, the kids how to shoot a .22 or going to a school myself to learn something new or practice old skills. If you don't want to train and improve don't as I said it is your life not mine.

What you stated as sarcasm I do every damn day. I check my parameter before leaving the bunker that I live in, check in with the Explosive Detector Dogs at the gate to make sure they have not had any hits, and check in with my coworkers to let them know I am out and about in case of one of the many 57mm rockets fired at us happens to hit my vehicle.

So continue to live in your world and I will live in mine and who knows maybe someday our paths will cross.
    Well Tac....as for as your military service....I thank you...and all others who are and have served. I do see military application as I said before....not the everyday civilian life. As for as "seeing you for some real entertainment" not sure what you meant by that...? Afraid to ask.....

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Didn't this violate the rules you posted??
    Have I offended you?

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A person in Tacmans arena must have that mindset. Training for him is not something to do, it is part of the job, and weapons are part of the trade.

It takes years to decompress, and relax. Some never do, depending on their personal experiences and psychological make up.
    The funny thing about the eventual coming down from this necessary mindset, is how insignificant the things of this world/ country are to you. You never really get excited about bad guys and boogie men again.

I must say that it's very nice to finally be on this side.

But don't dog Tacman's ideology and thinking. It is very necessary for his survival at this point in his life. I understand it, I'm just not at that place anymore.
    I totally agree there is military application....not civilian application.

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Dude his fantasy world is in IRAQ. Think about that, just for a minute. Your pithy attitude towards him is rather disgusting..
    Let me say this very clear....I thank GOD for him and people like him who serve and put their life on the line ever day. I have said many times on this thread and others that there is military application for the mindset....I don't see it for every day life in the States for the average person.

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    Have I offended you?
    I will say this P95, if spirit is in your grill, something was said in the wrong manner. Thats a check I wouldnt want to cash....

P95 glad you are entertained, I like to make people happy and anytime you want some real entertainment come on over and visit me.

In case you have not noticed I don't live in a fantasy world I live and work in the war zones of the world providing security for the DoD and DoS where my personal skill level and proficiency with my weapons keeps myself and others alive but I don't expect you to even come close to understanding that since you think the "Warrior Mindset" is such a scary thing.
    My fantasy world consists of about coming home and seeing my kids, Lory, riding the Harleys and actually doing some training and shooting for myself instead of teaching others. I happen to like to train and to teach whether it is working with a SWAT team, Lory to ride a Harley, the kids how to shoot a .22 or going to a school myself to learn something new or practice old skills. If you don't want to train and improve don't as I said it is your life not mine.

What you stated as sarcasm I do every damn day. I check my parameter before leaving the bunker that I live in, check in with the Explosive Detector Dogs at the gate to make sure they have not had any hits, and check in with my coworkers to let them know I am out and about in case of one of the many 57mm rockets fired at us happens to hit my vehicle.

So continue to live in your world and I will live in mine and who knows maybe someday our paths will cross.
    As I reflect back on my own service, a few things come to mind tacman...

The two items in bold are what you work so hard to provide to the "average Joe/P95" types of our society is it not?

I am by no means an adherent to the thought that we can ever achieve a Utopian society, but I would like to think that "Joe" will be able to live without having been in the places I have been and seeing the things I have seen.

I think glockman10mm's responses are something you should think on.

Now over 10 years past active duty, I'm still not 100% decompressed, but I try to be for my family and the "Joe's" I encounter daily.

Perhaps Churchill said it best "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"

I don't want the "Joe" to be one of the "rough men" if he has neither the capacity or inclination to do so.

Peace...
    First Sgt likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Just out of curiosity, just for the hell of it, can anyone here that attends training, by this I mean civilian training geared towards defensive carry, point out or articulate what they think they can do better better than someone who does not train as often?

Is there anything, that you can specifically point out, or feel that you have learned in taking these " training classes", that leads you to think that you are more proficient at something than someone who does not attend regular formal classes?
    sensei2 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I have heard that civilians are better trained and shoot more frequently than most rank and file LE. I can't back that up as I have only heard this. I do agree with your post completely.
    my firearms instructor told our class that she feels the need to wear her bullet-proof vest ONLY when she trains police officers, NOT when she trains us ordinary folks.
    ericb327 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Just out of curiosity, just for the hell of it, can anyone here that attends training, by this I mean civilian training geared towards defensive carry, point out or articulate what they think they can do better better than someone who does not train as often?

Is there anything, that you can specifically point out, or feel that you have learned in taking these " training classes", that leads you to think that you are more proficient at something than someone who does not attend regular formal classes?
    I suspect they get a boost of confidence by simply having attended a course. Not a bad thing at all, as I believe confidence is the name of the game, but a class has to be pretty generic by necessity. As you said, when it all comes down, you can't choose the time or place, and neither can the instructor. So I don't "train" for a given scenario. I just shoot at the range and in IDPA because I love to shoot.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links