Citizen's Firearms Training Class - Take aways

This is a discussion on Citizen's Firearms Training Class - Take aways within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our police department holds a Citizen's Firearms Training Class at least once per year and I try to go every other year just to keep ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Citizen's Firearms Training Class - Take aways

Our police department holds a Citizen's Firearms Training Class at least once per year and I try to go every other year just to keep up to speed on any local/state laws, hear interesting questions and answers and of course, to shoot under the watchful eye of an experienced instructor. It's taught by the department's LEO firearms instructors.

What's interesting is that each year, about 30+ people sign up, but only 4 - 8 show up for class. This time over 40 people showed up! It was great to see so many folks wanting to protect themselves and thier loved ones.

We had to reschedule the shooing to next Saturday morning due to the heat we've been having, but here's the big take-aways I got from the class:

1. Shoot unitil the threat stops moving.
    2. Dead men tell no tales.
    3. Be wary of the phone camera environment. The altercation you're involved in may be recorded.
    4. If you shoot someone, you better make sure you were in your right to do so!
    5. Lawyers have tons of time to 'Monday morning quarterback' your seconds of terror...

And... both instructors said they'd rather carry 4'' .357 revolvers on duty than their .40 Glocks!!!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Our police department holds a Citizen's Firearms Training Class at least once per year and I try to go every other year just to keep up to speed on any local/state laws, hear interesting questions and answers and of course, to shoot under the watchful eye of an experienced instructor. It's taught by the department's LEO firearms instructors.

What's interesting is that each year, about 30+ people sign up, but only 4 - 8 show up for class. This time over 40 people showed up! It was great to see so many folks wanting to protect themselves and thier loved ones.

We had to reschedule the shooing to next Saturday morning due to the heat we've been having, but here's the big take-aways I got from the class:

1. Shoot unitil the threat stops moving.
    3. Be wary of the phone camera environment. The altercation you're involved in may be recorded.
    4. If you shoot someone, you better make sure you were in your right to do so!
    5. Lawyers have tons of time to 'Monday morning quarterback' your seconds of terror...

And... both instructors said they'd rather carry 4'' .357 revolvers on duty than their .40 Glocks!!!
    Our CC class here was also over-filled. No doubt due to the increase in violent crimes that came with the oil boom up here. Unfortunately, ours doesn't seem to be quite as in-depth as yours. While it did offer good information, it also lacked in a few areas.

Glad you enjoyed yours, and it's good to see more people taking responsibility for themselves.

That would be great if they offered one of those classes here once a year. I'd make it a point to go myself. Guessing my taxpayer dollars are going somewhere else that's needed more.

P95
    Revolvers over Semi is interesting.

The general concensus of the students was that they were tired of the BGs winning. Many there knew victims of home invasions or robberies and had enough!

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Mano, was this a conceal carry class or additional training class?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Mano, was this a conceal carry class or additional training class?
    It was an overall training class covering both concealed carry and home/property defense.

We all go to the range this Saturday morning. They want me to bring my shotgun as well!

It was an overall training class covering both concealed carry and home/property defense.

We all go to the range this Saturday morning. They want me to bring my shotgun as well!
    So its not just a conceal carry class then. Kewl, good to see folks getting some training in. Im glad people are fed up with the BGs winning...
    mano3 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

were they over 50 Y.O.?
    Chad Rogers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    were they over 50 Y.O.?
    One had to in his late 40's; the other mid-thirties.

Their reasoning for that statement was that:
    1) a 4" revolver is much more accurate than a semi-auto pistol,
    2) most gunfights don't use more than 6 bullets,
    3) and a revolver is much more reliable than any semi-auto pistol.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Back in it's day a .357 Magnum was one of the most reliable "one shot stops."

We were not allowed to actually carry any Magnum rounds, so the best we could do by policy was the .38 Special + ammo. But I always carried some extra loose .357 rounds.

Just talking about this reminds me of the days of dump pouches. And when the ones came out that sectioned the dump pouch into 2s at a time, man that was high tech.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

you better not show them this, it might break their confidence... this was just days ago
    Caught in the middle of the crossfire, Vergara was shot in the shoulder and leg. Amazingly, he was still able to squeeze off 11 shots, hitting the gunman, who was able to escape.
    Off-duty police officer wounded in Bronx shootout | 7online.com
    mano3 likes this.

Keep in mind that their family or estate can still sue you. It was something my instructor said when he was covering common misconceptions- some people often think if you are the only survivor then there's nothing to worry about. Not true- the BG's family can still come after you in civil court.

... both instructors said they'd rather carry 4'' .357 revolvers on duty than their .40 Glocks!!!
    Did they say why?
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    Did they say why?
    Their reasoning for that statement was that:
    1) a 4" revolver is much more accurate than a semi-auto pistol,
    3) and a revolver is much more reliable than any semi-auto pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links