Carry at Penn State

Carry at Penn State

This is a discussion on Carry at Penn State within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We will be traveling near State College PA. My wife wants to stop by and walk the campus. I can't find anything in PA law ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carry at Penn State

VIP Member

Carry at Penn State

We will be traveling near State College PA. My wife wants to stop by and walk the campus. I can't find anything in PA law that prohibits carry on campus. Am I missing something in the state law? Are there school regs that prohibit carry on campus? I appreciate any input and please, if possible, cite law or regs.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Strictly prohibited. "The possession, carrying, or use of any weapon, ammunition, or explosive by any person is prohibited on all University property except by authorized law enforcement officers and other persons specifically authorized by the University."
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

VIP Member
    Below is a link to the Penn State web site. According to it, weapons are prohibited.

Penn State Harrisburg: Police Services
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

There is no state law against carrying on college campuses. If you do carry at Penn State, you could be asked to leave, and if you don't, you could be arrested for trespassing. Here is a link to a map of all the states and the legality of college carry in them.

Also, signs do not have the force of law in PA

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Here is a link to PA title 18. The applicable info begins around 6101.

Title 18 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES

I have carried on college campuses before with absolutely no issue, but, if for some reason you are asked to leave by anyone working for the college, do so immediately, or you will be charged with criminal trespass.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by ladman View Post
    Strictly prohibited. "The possession, carrying, or use of any weapon, ammunition, or explosive by any person is prohibited on all University property except by authorized law enforcement officers and other persons specifically authorized by the University."
    You sir...are so wrong.

Just another example of how ambiguous CC laws make it difficult for us to interpret what's 'legal' and what's not.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    You sir...are so wrong.
    That quote is directly from the Penn State website. Do your homework.

Prohibited doesn't mean illegal. If you're spotted, they can ask you to leave and get you for trespassing or something like that if you don't. If you were a student, they would have the authority to punish you.

I CC'd there a few weeks ago when I visited some old friends from high school without any trouble. It is also summer, so campus will be pretty empty.
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Prohibited doesn't mean illegal. If you're spotted, they can ask you to leave and get you for trespassing or something like that if you don't. If you were a student, they would have the authority to punish you.

I CC'd there a few weeks ago when I visited some old friends from high school without any trouble. It is also summer, so campus will be pretty empty.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ladman View Post
    That quote is directly from the Penn State website. Do your homework.
    And if you continue reading, you'll find that

Violators of this policy will face disciplinary action via the University discipline system
    What authority does University discipline system have over visitors to the campus?

As others have noted above, at worst, if you are found out, you'll (probably) be asked to leave. That's the extent of what the university can do.

As always, Concealed Means Concealed.

IANAL, YMMV, TANSTAAFL
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post

What authority does University discipline system have over visitors to the campus?

As others have noted above, at worst, if you are found out, you'll (probably) be asked to leave. That's the extent of what the university can do.

IANAL, YMMV, TANSTAAFL
    My operative word was "prohibited". I didn't say you would be arrested or detained or anything else. I guarantee you will be asked to leave and not "probably". Don't split hairs.

As a recent retiree of PSU, I can tell you the University does NOT allow individuals to carry a weapon on an part of the campus.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post

IANAL, YMMV, TANSTAAFL
    The same authority they use to prohibit smoking and drinking in the stadium or smoking in ANY building on campus.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    The same authority they use to prohibit smoking and drinking in the stadium or smoking in ANY building on campus.
    Which is??

Smoking in public areas is against state law; carrying a firearm on a college campus is not.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I'm not positiver but I believe the shooting that took place at the HUB on September 1996 has a significant impact on how the administration views fire arms on campus. I do know that not all of the police are authorized/permitted to carry.

Now to answer the question. University Safety Policy SY 12 Policy SY12 Weapons and Fireworks Regulations, Fireworks, and Paintball Devices

For me, I'll choose caution and not carry my weapon when I return to campus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links