O T R Drivers

This is a discussion on O T R Drivers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here goes after spending way tooo many years in management in service indursty ( auto / boat / rv ) I have a chance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O T R Drivers

O T R Drivers

Ok here goes after spending way tooo many years in management in service indursty ( auto / boat / rv ) I have a chance to try a new career in O T R with a driver team .

My team member is an former co worker that who to wants to make the switch .

We are just know getting all the ducks in row to do this we will most likely be starting training

in a few weeks . Question too all otr drivers do some carry with or not .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have been out of the industry for several months, prior to which I was an owner/operator for eleven years. I booked my own loads, so carrying was never a problem for me.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    As a former company driver it was against company policy for us to carry.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I quit driving in the late 70's, and my last employer would fire you on the spot if he knew an employee was armed. I carried a single shot 410 Snake Charmer, between the bunk and the cab (these were cabovers). When the company would call us in to the home terminal for oil changes or ?? I"d break down the gun, locking it in an attache case that I carried all my log books and paperwork in. Never was caught, nor suspected at any time. But that was my choice, and I did sleep better on the road, knowing I had one good shot at someone bent on robbing or doing me in.

carry at your own risk... your permit will be welcome in some states and hated in others

My company has a policy against weapons of any kind, just like all of the big companies that I know of. As far as the legal standpoint I think it just goes by individual state laws. I keep a can of wasp spray and a tire thumper within reach in the bunk and a bright flashlight with an 8 pulse per second strobe on my belt for my pre-dawn deliveries. If you find a company that allows carrying at work I'd love to know about it(other than the underpaid armored car drivers).

VIP Member
    I have been driving somewhat local for 30+ years(MI, OH,PA,IN,IL,KY,ONT. Canada, NY state,WI and to FLA 2x)
    I do not, as the company I work for does not wish for us too do so.

Some of the places we go to, do not allow carrying of firearms, & etc. so if the truck were ever to be inspected upon arrival or exit, I'd be in deep do-do.
    While this has never , ever happened , every now and then, monkeys fall out of trees, so I will not do it, cause the money, and sudden loss of it would be a bad thing.
    I make above average pay for what I do, but it still isn't enough, but I'm home every night, and thats the way it has to be.

In all my travels, I can say I only really needed it one time in Benton Harbor Mi.
    I was around 32, and delivering to an elementary school for a previous employer.
    He was a young kid, 15-17.
    I shut the cargo rear door, and there he was, with a .38 4in revolver.
    He says stick em up, gimme all your money, I say, I don't have any money, I'm a poor truckdriver, all I got is fivwe dollars locked in the cab in my wallet.

He repeats himself, and adds, man don't make me shoot you.
    I debated to myself for a split second,{do I jump him, do I run, or just backpedal to the school, while telling him, I don't have any money}

I did the latter, and he vamooshed.
    I got lucky this kid wasn't ready to take a life that day, but I often wonder if he finally got the courage to do so, and where he is today.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Good thread.In the very near future I'll be doing the OTR thing and have wondered the same.The only state I'd have to worry about is #%@* Illinois.It's right in the middle of the area I'll be covering.I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has taken the risk of carrying while in the anti-gun state.

Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    Good thread.In the very near future I'll be doing the OTR thing and have wondered the same.The only state I'd have to worry about is #%@* Illinois.It's right in the middle of the area I'll be covering.I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has taken the risk of carrying while in the anti-gun state.
    In IL you should be alright if you unload it and lock it up before you get there. A carry permit from your home state is the equivalent of a FOID. I think it was at handgunlaw.us that I read that. You can't legally have it loaded and readily available but you can have a gun shaped paperweight in an enclosed container.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckdriver View Post
    In IL you should be alright if you unload it and lock it up before you get there. A carry permit from your home state is the equivalent of a FOID. I think it was at handgunlaw.us that I read that. You can't legally have it loaded and readily available but you can have a gun shaped paperweight in an enclosed container.
    An FOID card is not a carry permit. It has nothing to do with ccw. All it does is to allow you to purchase firearms or ammunition.

My step-son's wife's parents quit/layed-off from their corporate jobs five years ago, invested in a tractor, and have never looked back. They team drive, and love it. They both have CWP's. You'll learn the variances in state laws quickly. Good luck in your new adventures.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog7972s View Post
    An FOID card is not a carry permit. It has nothing to do with ccw. All it does is to allow you to purchase firearms or ammunition.
    720 ILCS 5/24-1
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
    on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of
    business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's
    permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does
    not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
    Note: To legally possess a firearm in Illinois the law states you must have a FOID Card. Non Residents
    cannot obtain a FOID Card from Illinois. The Illinois Supreme Court ruled in Appellee, v.LEONARD
    HOLMES, JR. that: “therefore, a valid permit or license from another state can substitute for the FOID
    card requirement in section 24–1.6.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I understand that but a FOID card is NOT a license to carry. You must have an FOID card to legally possess a firearm in Illinois but having one does not allow you to ccw. If you get caught carrying a gun illegally in Illinois, a ccw from another state will not get you out of it nor will a FOID card. As a matter of fact on the front of the FOID card it says " Caution: This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms. This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon".

There is no law against carrying in a CMV. The company you drive for, if it's one of the big mega carrier's and alott of smaller carrier's will have a no firearm policy. Alott of place's you will pickup and deliver to will have the same. I've seen some strange stuff on the road. I've been robbed at gunpoint on the fuel island, the second pump from the building. Running the road's is a great thing when everything work's as planned. There is day's that I wished I never stepped foot in a truck. I don't have all the answer's, but will be willing to try to answer any question's you might have. Feel free to PM me.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

A FOID is not a carry permit but it allows you to transport the firearm unloaded and locked up until you return to the land of the free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links