County and city of Boulder Co conceal laws

This is a discussion on County and city of Boulder Co conceal laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone knows what the conceal carry laws are in Boulder. I've heard that you can't conceal carry in the city of ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By tomtsr
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaDawg

Thread: County and city of Boulder Co conceal laws

I was wondering if anyone knows what the conceal carry laws are in Boulder. I've heard that you can't conceal carry in the city of Boulder as well as the county but cannot find anything on it, they do give out permits but I don't know if my Colorado Douglas county permit is good there, any thoughts? Thanks

I live in Boulder county and have an appt for next Thursday to do photos, etc for CHP. Concealed as well as Open carry are legal in Boulder and Boulder County. That said, I wouldn't open carry on pearl street mall - someone would be scared and contact the cops who would detain you for a bit. What I don't know id the CU Boulder campus. My son goes there. The state court ruled that CC is legal on the public campuses, but I heard that the Board of Regents had appealed the decision. I don't know what the status of this is during the appeal process. You might want to contact the university police if thinking about carrying on campus.

Tommato

A good place to start, for an overview: Handgunlaw.us. In the summaries, you're provided the reference to the applicable statute number(s).

Then, head to the Colorado General Assembly web pages for Title 18 Article 12 (among others) to begin your research on the full text of the actual laws that'll apply to you. Be sure to review the statutes for concealed carry, self-defense and use of force.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarshall View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows what the conceal carry laws are in Boulder. I've heard that you can't conceal carry in the city of Boulder as well as the county but cannot find anything on it, they do give out permits but I don't know if my Colorado Douglas county permit is good there, any thoughts? Thanks
    Any Colorado county-issued CHP is good everywhere in the state of Colorado. Denver is to be avoided, as they consider themselves to be above state law.
    Last edited by marcclarke; July 3rd, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling.

State of Colorado laws ... didn't pre-empt local ones ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

From Handgunlaw.us

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    You can carry in Boulder, but be prepared for the crazies if you open carry.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    State of Colorado laws ... didn't pre-empt local ones ?
    CO firearms-related statutes pre-empt virtually all local firearms laws. There are a couple of exceptions in Denver county due to a court decision, but any local ordinance in Boulder that conflicts with CO statute (there is 1 concerning open carry) is pre-empted until some future court decision upholds the local ordinance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommato View Post
    I live in Boulder county and have an appt for next Thursday to do photos, etc for CHP. Concealed as well as Open carry are legal in Boulder and Boulder County. That said, I wouldn't open carry on pearl street mall - someone would be scared and contact the cops who would detain you for a bit. What I don't know id the CU Boulder campus. My son goes there. The state court ruled that CC is legal on the public campuses, but I heard that the Board of Regents had appealed the decision. I don't know what the status of this is during the appeal process. You might want to contact the university police if thinking about carrying on campus.

Tommato
    I have to be in the area later this month and thanks for the Pearl Street Mall recommendation, as I OC daily I just may have to check it out while I'm there

Sponsored Links