CC and "Green" card?

This is a discussion on CC and "Green" card? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your guys thoughts on carrying and having medical marijuana card. Its strictly for medical use I have arthitis in my back and I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: CC and "Green" card?

CC and "Green" card?

What are your guys thoughts on carrying and having medical marijuana card. Its strictly for medical use I have arthitis in my back and I'm in pain everyday I would use it primarily at night but on occasion in the morning when pain is really bad.. But what were to happen if ii had my gun on me pity in public or had to use it (hopefully not) would it be considered "under the influence?" I dont currently smoke because I dont have my card to do it partially but would it be worth it? Or would I not carry my gun if were to smoke? what are your guys thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    CC, alcohol, medical marijuana, hamburger, ice water.... etc, doesnt matter to me, its all in how and when you use it.

Yes, I believe that if you have used it for any reason, you are under the influence. YMMV
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Ever heard that booze and guns are a sorry mix? I expect that weed and guns ought to run about the same.

Never messed with weed (not kidding), but I've seen many stoned people. Not pretty.
    surefire7 likes this.

My fathers a disabled veteran and was curious about the same kinda thing but instead of weed, his legal pain meds from the VA. He asked a state trooper about it and said as long as it was legally prescribed to him, there was nothing to worry about. Not sure if it's any help but that's my 2 cents.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

At least you will be mellowed out and not easily angered:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

But hungry........

I think you need to look at AZ law very carefully. Here are a couple of resources:

Handgunlaw.us

NRA-ILA | Gun Laws

Good luck, and welcome to DC!
    Chad Rogers likes this.

While the MM card is legal in some states,it seems that the people tend to forget once they cross state lines the state they are in may not recognize their card,so if you have a CHL and are carrying both a gun and marijuana outside your state and get stopped by the Police,you are probably going to get arrested for not only drug charges,but having a gun which IIRC is a felony
    Hopyard and DaveH like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I believe those with chronic pain....like arthritis...can benefit from the medical use of pot. I don't think the "harm" it does would be any worse than some of the prescriptive pain medication give for the same thing. I don't mean smoking it like that guy from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", but titrated to desired effect. I have known people who have done this and they are able to function much better than the doses of pain medication they would need to take for the same effect.

Many things are bad if used in excess, but can be beneficial if used with common sense.

When my father was going through chemotherapy for cancer and lost all appetite, one of my brothers had some pot cookies made for him. It cut down on his vomiting (natural effect from it is to stop vomiting) and gave him enough appetite to keep going. Only problem is he didn't tell Mom and she ate one. Had to talk her through that one as she wasn't expecting that feeling from a cookie. She knew it was more than a "sugar rush". But it did help Dad making him more comfortable also. I think there is a legit use for it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I'm not sure what the good State of Arizona thinks about marijuana and firearms but personally my thoughts are that marijuana, like alcohol, impairs your decision making ability. If it were me, I would treat it like I do alcohol: spark a doobie, put the gun away.

I probably wouldn't drive around with a bag of dope either. Federal law trumps state law so if they really want to get you, there's a case to be made. Of course it's highly unlikely the Feds would waste their time on you unless you happen to be on big O's enemy list for selective enforcement. Then there's the recent development where the current administration doesn't even respond to Arizona State and local Leo's inquiries... Maybe I should back off the caffeine, please just disregard my partisan ramblings.
    danwdooley and Spirit51 like this.

VIP Member
    It will probably be viewed the same as any other prescription pain killer. If it's a drug that alters your thought processes and judgement, your probably better off not carrying while using it.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

CC, alcohol, medical marijuana, hamburger, ice water.... etc, doesnt matter to me, its all in how and when you use it.
    That's pretty much my take, that it's whether you're unduly influenced or impeded by a thing. Shouldn't matter whether that's having just woken up from sleep and hence haven't wrapped your head around the situation yet, or something you've ingested/imbibed.

Smoking, drinking, bad burritos and whatnot aren't a problem, per se. But impaired judgement is, no matter the cause. Just don't expect all to understand if you're involved in the use of deadly force while stoned or drunk. One thing to consider is that it's entirely possible, if it comes to a self-defense situation in which you've used deadly force, your use of such substances will also be put on trial. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, as they say, but it's something to think about.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 3rd, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    You would probably be less prone to violence!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    You would probably be less prone to violence!

Except the damage one would do to a package of Twinkies or bag of Doritos.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Moderator
    I think the you would only have to worry about it if you had to actually shoot someone in self defense.

Any lawyer or DA worth his salt could have a field day with the fact that you shot someone when you were stoned. It would all come down to what the jury thought about it. If you had some stoners on there,you might be OK. If not, your ability to make a rational decision and how that is perceived by them could be your undoing.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The legal precedent for impairment while "under the influence" has long been established. If you're carrying (presumably legally) and have weed on you (prescribed or otherwise), and you come to the attention of your local LEO's, I would venture a guess that you will end up explaining your actions to a judge, which is always a crap-shoot. Just my $.02.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links