Medically disabled and carrying

This is a discussion on Medically disabled and carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am 52 years old and I spent 16 years in the National Guard Infantry so I got to fire all types of fun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Medically disabled and carrying

Medically disabled and carrying

Hi,
    I am 52 years old and I spent 16 years in the National Guard Infantry so I got to fire all types of fun weapons. 4 years ago I was diagnosed with leukemia and 3 years ago I had a bone marrow transplant. I am currently in remission and doing pretty much the same as the other transplant patients. Some of the side effects from the transplant I have now is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which makes me tired all day and another is that my eyes are super sensitive to any light so I have to close them when I go out. If I have to I can drive up to 3 miles away but I mostly stay home now in my dark house. Last year some nut killed 7 people about 2 miles from our house so it got me thinking maybe I do need a gun to keep home and to carry so I got a new Sig P229 .40S&W. Took the CPL course and got licensed to carry it.

I read a lot on DC about the benefits to take advanced classes and SA and I just look at myself and wonder how in the hell do I do that? 5 years ago before I got sick I would have shot more, take more classes and have better SA but now it's pretty hard to maintain SA when the light hurts my eyes so I have to either squint or close them outside.

I haven't read any posts from other disabled cancer survivors here but they must be some. If so what advice do you have to give?
    Spirit51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

If you could get to Lansing. I would let you run thru our class for free. We work with the disabled as much as we can, trying to understand what each individual will need. PM me and let me know if you are interested.....
    darbo, First Sgt, tomtsr and 7 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Yep what HB said. Find an instructor to tailor the class to you and your needs. By the way welcome to the forum.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeinMI View Post
    I read a lot on DC about the benefits to take advanced classes and SA and I just look at myself and wonder how in the hell do I do that? ... it's pretty hard to maintain SA when the light hurts my eyes so I have to either squint or close them outside.
    My eyes are reasonably sensitive to the light, and they always have been. I've worn wrap-around sunglasses and often a ballcap for years, now. With the sunglasses, they're of the wrap-around, ultra-dark variety, which dramatically reduces the amount of light reaching my eyes. The wrap-around feature helps keep the wind/dust out of the eyes, as well as blocking much of the light that would otherwise "leak" around the frames. The lenses are available in a variety of transmission intensities, down to practically zero, including polarized and prescription versions. Oakley is such maker, ie: Polarized, Custom sunglasses, with choice of tints/darkness (% of light transmitted, ie Ice Iridium @ 10% light transmitted, for extremely bright light).

Or, you can consider the type of sunglasses used by mountain climbers and others who spend a lot of time in ice/snow fields. Great for dramatically cutting down the amount of light reaching your eye, cutting glare. I'm unfamiliar with makers of such items, but I'm sure with a bit of searching you'll be able to find some options. Julbo mountaineering sunglasses, for example.

As for doing training/SA, if you resolve the "light" question and you're physically able then you should be able to complete one- or two-day type seminars. With many, you can get the classroom portions completed even though you're not 100% capable of managing the demanding field/range training. Call them, to confirm what portions of their coursework can be accommodated given any limitations you might have. You might be pleasantly surprised. BTDT, with the painful disability thing. Took the 4-day Judicious Use of Deadly Force course from Ayoob and simply toned down the range elements to what I could manage. Easily accommodated.

PM me, if you'd like further info on the wrap-around style of sunglasses. I can give you lots of feedback about my experiences with them.
    Bark'n and Rock and Glock like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the replies.

I am not really looking to take any advanced classes now. The one day (10 hour) basic CPL was more than I could handle. I also have some pretty good sunglasses that I wear outside. I was trying to ask how do people with disabilities like mine think they would do if they were out in public and they were forced to be in SD mode. For example, something happened that made them have to think fast, act fast, and possibly draw on someone in SD mode?

In your situation, you need an HD weapon that is simple and effective without relying upon your diminished capabilities to use it. IMO. a short barrel 20 gauge shotgun would fit the bill. Easy to handle, 1/3rd of the recoil a 12 gauge would levy, and effective. Prayers to you, brother.

I like shotguns too:) My Sig P229 .40 is doing double duty as my HD and carry gun now and I hope in the future to get either a Moss 500 or Remington 870 for the HD and plinking at the range.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    You may have done all you can already at this point. Maybe just try to practice as much as possible, when you can. I wish you the best.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Thanks for the replies.

I am not really looking to take any advanced classes now. The one day (10 hour) basic CPL was more than I could handle. I also have some pretty good sunglasses that I wear outside. I was trying to ask how do people with disabilities like mine think they would do if they were out in public and they were forced to be in SD mode. For example, something happened that made them have to think fast, act fast, and possibly draw on someone in SD mode?
    I guess I didnt understand your first post, sorry about that. I thought you were looking for some help with training.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

MidlifeinMI,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your predicament.

I'd take my gun(s) to the range and commence shooting. Start from the basics. You can practice a lot at home by dry firing. Combine those two and you're in to a good start. You can later participate into every 'operator' class you desire.

The being aware of your surroundings and avoid stupid places, people and things applies to us all. Be prepared.

Stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies.

We all have disabilities and we all act to our ability if and when they are needed. As to your case learn to work around the disabilities you have. You can work on that yourself or as said in earlier posts there are instructor who can and will work with you to determine the solutions you need to over come your faults in all areas you have not just in disabilities. As to how to train with your Chronic Fatigue Syndrome you may have to do it with private lesson where you can set your own time blocks of how ever long you can stand. It all comes down to how commented you are to your own safety and defense.

These last words are said with LOVE----You are and have what you have--suck it up and deal with it. Gods speed!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Check out best defense on down range TV. Just do a Google search. They did an episode not to long ago on this and it was pretty good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    You are and have what you have--suck it up and deal with it. Gods speed!
    Totally agree with you! Sounds like you were prior service? Thanks.

Administrator
    "Last year some nut killed 7 people about 2 miles from our house so it got me thinking maybe I do need a gun to keep home and to carry so I got a new Sig P229 .40S&W. Took the CPL course and got licensed to carry it."

Smart Move. ~ Great firearm choice.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm disabled due to spinal injury,I carry a 1911 combat commander 24/7,by my bed I have a Mossberg 930 Semi-Auti shotgun with 00 buck and a light attached with a pressure switch,IMHO a shotgun with a load of either 4 buck or 00 buck is a great HD gun,some people are leaning more towards the AR15 with different types of bullets for not only multiple rounds on tap,but the chance of over penetration isless,and if the BG's are wearing level 2 or 3 body armor the 223 will penetrate where buckshot or handgun rounds could very well be defeated.
    John Consiglio is the guy that has a great working knowledge of the 223/5.56 ammo available for SD
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links