Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions - Page 2

Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions

This is a discussion on Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the map of CA by county previously mentioned. Note that the three metro areas of San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions

Here is the map from CA CCW

Here is the map of CA by county previously mentioned. Note that the three metro areas of San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego are essentially no CCW issue. The rest of the state is fairly reasonable.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I'll be traveling in CA this summer, and here's how I've decided to vehicle-carry so as to comply with the CA "transportation" laws: unloaded pistol w/ the slide locked back in a GunVault NV3000 in a readily-accessible place, like the center console or cable-locked under the seat; loaded mags in different readily accessible place, like the door pocket. The GunVault has a three-dial combo lock. While I'm in the car, I'll have the first two numbers of the combo dialed-in, and the third dial will be set one digit away from the third number. If an emergency arises, all I'll need to do is turn the third dial one click to unlock it, then pull the pistol, pop a mag in and release the slide catch. This is the fastest way to a loaded pistol that I've come up with while complying with the relevant laws. Anyone see any problems - legal or practical - with this? Anyone see a better way?

I lived in San Mateo, CA for thirty years before moving to Humble, TX. I applied for a gun permit in 1995 after I was victimized and was flat out denied by the Chief of Police of my City. I was told that I am not entitled this permit and do not have sufficient cause. When I left CA in 2003, and after moving to Texas, I felt that my total rights as an American citizen was restored. I applied for my CCW permit the first year I was in TX and got it three weeks later. I was also took advantage of all the pure AR's I was able to buy since moving to Texas. I do not think I would ever move back to CA. I am here to stay in the Lone Star State.

First, I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I've done quite a bit of research based on the provided links, etc.

There's no question California's gun laws are completely unconstitutional. I am a firm believer good citizens disobey bad laws. However I am also a problem solver and must weigh any viable approach which may still allow me to defend myself while not attracting the safety nazis who are the true enemy to our fundamental right of self protection.

I am not as concerned about not carrying on my person at all times in the particular area I will live in. My focus right now is a weapon in my vehicle. The law says the weapon must be in a locked container. Fine. I can have a locked container which I can access and open in 1-2 seconds. I honestly don't see this as an issue; just a minor inconvenience.

I know others in CA who carry a weapon at all times (on their person) and completely ignore the law (my guess is most people do this). I think if one is smart and conceals properly; who cares? In the ultra rare event you need to protect your life, or the life of another - what the law says simply doesn't matter.

One important question is this: under what circumstances can they conduct a legitimate vehicular search in CA? My understanding is they must have probable cause. We all know about the corruption in the police force, but it's been my experience it's the exception rather than the rule. I'm not going to live in fear that any time I get pulled over they're going to search my car.

In reality, regardless of what the rotten and unconstitutional California nanny-state victim-creation law says, how many people are really affected by it? (i.e. how many people are arrested per year for violating it?)

I am moving to San Diego for a great job. While I would prefer other states for other obvious reasons, this is what's before me currently, so I simply have to figure out the best way to deal with it.

With the exception of gun laws, which some would have you believe is the only reason to live anywhere, you will love San Diego. Probable cause is correct in regards to search, it is however extremely subjective.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    First let me state that I lived in california for 47 years, so I can speak from first hand experiance how bad it it there.

Idaho is a free state with out a lot of useless bulls**t laws. anyone in Idaho can get a permit to carry a gun. I can own any kind of gun I here, including anything full auto and silencers. There is no crime here because everyone has a gun or carries a gun. I can ride my ATV to town if I want to and its legal to do so. I can register my truck here for a year for $48. dollars, and there are no smog checks required. I could go on and on, but im sure you get the point. try doing any of this in california and see how far you get.
    No crime? I doubt that. Everyone carries a gun? I doubt that. No crime because everyone carries a gun? I really doubt that. I however have never been to Idaho, nor plan on it so this is all speculation on my part.
    goldmaster likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    My wife shot an intruder entering thru a window many years ago in San Diego County. She was living in off base military housing. She received endless threats from the authorities. Suffice it to say even a woman home alone with a child shooting a intruder inside the home is considered a murder in that state. Also remember many of your guns may not be allowed in California for a whole host of reasons. BTW she never got her S&W 357 mag back either. Go figure.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

BTW I was going to ask; what in-vehicle weapon container do fellow forum members recommend I consider for easy access of my weapon?

Floobie,
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to California when you get here. I have a ccw permit so locking my firearm while in my vehicle is not required, however many people on this forum use a combination safe that is unlocked simply by touching a preset sequence of " buttons" on the safe. My neighbor stores his pistol in one of these safes at home and can open it in 2 seconds.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

I don't know if things have changed in California but when i lived there, i was born there, you had to keep the firearm and ammo seperate and not easily acessable.

I will never go back to California. It is a shame because California used to be the jewel of the west. Liberals have destroyed any hope there.

I prefer to live in a place where i am free to excersise my Constitutional rights openly and without fear of reprisal.

I understand the reasons you present for moving there and would not condemn you for doing what you think is right for your family and career. Make your money and always be looking for a tranfer to a free state would be my advice. Oh and don't think that any neighborhood in California is safe. It is not. Criminals and illegal aliens have the rights there.

I read the code regarding vehicular storage of handguns, and it appears all you need is a lockbox. I do not see anything prohibiting access (other than a lockbox) or prohibiting reach from driver's seat, etc. The only caveat is it must be unloaded. Fine. I'll have the clip in the box next to the gun. If this is incorrect, please let me know and point me to the appropriate code/law.

If this is correct, I think finding a good lockbox with ultra easy access and mounting it appropriately is the answer. That's what I was asking earlier; I'm sure people in this forum have found and purchased a great easy to access lockbox and mounted it within their car. I was wondering what boxes/brands people would recommend for this.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Here is the map of CA by county previously mentioned. Note that the three metro areas of San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego are essentially no CCW issue. The rest of the state is fairly reasonable.
    Also note that these are the areas with most of the population and that gives us that good old "please government protect me" vote. They are also the same people who have never taken step off of the pavemet and concrete and experienced any outdoor activities other than the tables in front of a Starbucks. They vote with feelings instead of common sense, which in their defense, have not been raised with any. And in their world, the only things that they've seen regarding ANY guns, have been through Hollywood or bad things on the news. Vote accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Floobie

First, I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I've done quite a bit of research based on the provided links, etc.

There's no question California's gun laws are completely unconstitutional. I am a firm believer good citizens disobey bad laws. However I am also a problem solver and must weigh any viable approach which may still allow me to defend myself while not attracting the safety nazis who are the true enemy to our fundamental right of self protection.

I am not as concerned about not carrying on my person at all times in the particular area I will live in. My focus right now is a weapon in my vehicle. The law says the weapon must be in a locked container. Fine. I can have a locked container which I can access and open in 1-2 seconds. I honestly don't see this as an issue; just a minor inconvenience.

I know others in CA who carry a weapon at all times (on their person) and completely ignore the law (my guess is most people do this). I think if one is smart and conceals properly; who cares? In the ultra rare event you need to protect your life, or the life of another - what the law says simply doesn't matter.

One important question is this: under what circumstances can they conduct a legitimate vehicular search in CA? My understanding is they must have probable cause. We all know about the corruption in the police force, but it's been my experience it's the exception rather than the rule. I'm not going to live in fear that any time I get pulled over they're going to search my car.

In reality, regardless of what the rotten and unconstitutional California nanny-state victim-creation law says, how many people are really affected by it? (i.e. how many people are arrested per year for violating it?)

I am moving to San Diego for a great job. While I would prefer other states for other obvious reasons, this is what's before me currently, so I simply have to figure out the best way to deal with it.
    I carry in California legally and don't condone breaking the law especially with a firearm. There are other things to consider if you decide to do so. If you don't have all of your ducks in a row and you are "made" for any number of reasons then you have just jeopardized any chances that you may have had to carry one legally in any other part of the state and possibly even in other states.

I know that California is a pain in the butt with all of the laws, but for those of us who have to remain here for the time being, I think your last sentence sums it up best. KNOW the laws and steps that you can take for the most important part of being able to own firearms, to protect yourself and your family.

California has well deserved its place in the gun friendly world as "hell" and for that, I cannot disagree or defend its delusional views as I am not your typical California voter but I abide by the law as best I can. I on the other hand have been raised around guns, hunting, fishing and numerous other outdoor activies that has nothing to do with a slab of concrete and 3 or 4 tables. And, all within California. Those of us that are in the north part of the state have been able to enjoy these things and are appalled whenever senseless legislation is dreamt up by people who have no idea what they're talking about but just gives them that "feel good." I could go on and on about stupid gun laws and the sense that they make but anyway, my point is, I'm glad that you're doing your research on the gun laws as you should do that no matter what state you're moving to. It could be worse I guess; we could be like IL or HI when it comes to CC. You just happend to pick the part of the state that is not self protection friendly out in public places.

My best advice to you would be to actually call the Cal. DOJ and ask them where you can get the best information regarding the newest gun laws. I have called them before and they are actually quite pleasant to talk to when they view you as someone that is wanting to be on top of the laws.

As for those here who hate California, I can't blame you. I can't stand some aspects of it either. But within the confines of the state, I have been able to hunt, shoot, defend my home and carry concealed. All legally and with very little problem including interaction with LE. But moving to a larger city or surrounding areas, I'm sure it would be a different story.

I also think that it would be doing a disservice to you and to the pro 2A community for me to suggest that you become a "good citizen that breaks bad laws" as you have indicated being a firm believer in. Do more research, know the laws and within that, find your best way to protect yourself and family. I have managed successfully in my 40+ years here. A sincere good luck to you and welcome to the forum.
    goldmaster likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What MPRP said x2
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

VIP Member
    I lived in San Diego for close to ten years and I loved it. The weather, the food and, of course, the bikinis make San Diego a very special place. To those who never have lived there, well you just don't know.

With all of that said I'm happy I don't live in SoCal anymore. The laws and the debt just keep getting more out of hand. It's Mancave, Ohio for this farmer from now on.

OP two things. 1) Enjoy the seafood and eat it often. 2) OBEY the law. They will jam you up in a hurry if you get stupid.

There is a decent gun shop with an indoor range here: Discount Gun Mart 1510 Morena Boulevard, San Diego, CA . Pay them a visit. Also there is a GREAT taco shop right across the street from them but I don't recall the name. Try the Carne (car-neigh) Asada (ass-saw-duh) burrito.
    mprp and BigJon10125 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    OP I forgot to mention the outdoor activities. It's 75 and sunny there all year long. Find some outdoor hobbies. California is unique with mountains, deserts and beaches within just a few hours of each other. I once had a snowball fight on the 4th of July in the Sierra Nevada mountains (Mammoth). Also I've been skiing in the morning (Big Bear) and gone to the beach in the afternoon (PB).

There's just so much to do there. Enjoy it. Don't get wrapped up in the anti gun stuff and get yourself in a pinch by illegal carry. Get a legal non lethal means of defense and use your SA. Then live life to the max!
    goldmaster, BigJon10125 and beni like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links