Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions - Page 3

Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions

This is a discussion on Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not to put you off, but you might want to check on the crime stats for the county in general.. My sources indicate that in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Moving to California (San Diego area) - A few Questions

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Not to put you off, but you might want to check on the crime stats for the county in general.. My sources indicate that in addition to the rise in gang activity, there is activity associated with the drug cartels as well; Escondido in particular, but my understanding is that there are others. It seems to be centered in the outlying areas (not much can be termed rural anymore) so there are still nicer areas, but trouble has a way of spreading. Be safe and good luck!

By the way, one tactic they use to search your car (if they really want to do it) is to find some minor problem with the vehicle itself-no tail light, cracked windshield, etc., then tow the car on the grounds that it isn't road worthy. Once in their possession, they will "document" it's contents. Just the threat of having one's car impounded is usually enough to gain them permission to search.

Be safe. Enjoy the food and the ocean.

Lots of great feedback; and it is a situation where I have to make the most/best out of our new home. As somebody who has been trained at frontsight and carried for a good decade or so, I want to take the proper steps to ensure the safety of myself and my family. The primary thing right now is getting a gun storage container for my cabin; based on my word for word interpretation of the law, I can place/mount one in my cabinet and as long as it's locked and the gun is unloaded, it'll work.

The question is what brand of mounted gun container do people recommend I review? Something that legally qualifies as locked, but is ultra-easy to access.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Floobie View Post
    I'll have the clip in the box next to the gun. If this is incorrect, please let me know and point me to the appropriate code/law.

If this is correct, I think finding a good lockbox with ultra easy access and mounting it appropriately is the answer. That's what I was asking earlier; I'm sure people in this forum have found and purchased a great easy to access lockbox and mounted it within their car. I was wondering what boxes/brands people would recommend for this.
    Under the law, it's a "magazine". Handgunlaw.us says:
    "When Transporting firearms the magazines may be carried loaded and in the same container as the firearm. They can not be attached to the firearm if they contain ammunition."
    Yet, elsewhere it says
    In People v Hale the CA Court of Appeals ruled that a loaded magazine concealed along with a firearm that does not contain any ammo is considered loaded. The ruling stated:
    "The carrying of concealed firearms is prohibited as a means of preventing physical harm to persons other than the offender." (People v. Jurado, 25 Cal. App. 3d 1027, 1032 [102 Cal. Rptr. 498].) In our opinion concealment of an essential component of a visible weapon, when done in such a fashion as to make the weapon readily available for use as a firearm, presents a threat to public order comparable to concealment of the entire firearm and falls within the prohibition of section 25400.
    Finally
    What Does CA Consider A Loaded Firearm?
    California Penal Code 16840
    (a) As used in Section 25800, a firearm shall be deemed to be "loaded" whenever both the firearm and the unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from the firearm are in the immediate possession of the same person.
    (b) As used in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 25100) of Division 4 of Title 4, in subparagraph (A) of paragraph (6) of subdivision (c) of Section 25400, and in Sections 25850 to 26055, inclusive,
    (1) A firearm shall be deemed to be "loaded" when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of
    a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm,
    including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ampre View Post
    I'll be traveling in CA this summer, and here's how I've decided to vehicle-carry so as to comply with the CA "transportation" laws: unloaded pistol w/ the slide locked back in a GunVault NV3000 in a readily-accessible place, like the center console or cable-locked under the seat; loaded mags in different readily accessible place, like the door pocket. The GunVault has a three-dial combo lock. While I'm in the car, I'll have the first two numbers of the combo dialed-in, and the third dial will be set one digit away from the third number. If an emergency arises, all I'll need to do is turn the third dial one click to unlock it, then pull the pistol, pop a mag in and release the slide catch. This is the fastest way to a loaded pistol that I've come up with while complying with the relevant laws. Anyone see any problems - legal or practical - with this? Anyone see a better way?
    I'm not sure (aka, INAL) but you may want to be careful about merely concealing the magazine. Locking it with the pistol may be best.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Great information Pistology; and thank you for correcting my use of "clip" when it should have been magazine. Even after formal training and years of using firearms, it still improperly slips out.

Based on what Ampre posted, I found: Gunvault Nanovault Firearm Safe NV300

I think that'll work well for me as it's easy access and can be just one digit off (as he mentioned). I can place that under my center panel of my SUV.

When I get to San Diego, I'll apply for a CCP. I'm sure some form of sad hilarity will ensue, but I'll be sure to share the details with this forum :)

Looking forward to hearing from you on this Floobie. Good Luck to you and be safe.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links