NB! :Carry Promoted in the Ghetto in My Hometown: OR "TAKING THE STREETS BACK"

This is a discussion on NB! :Carry Promoted in the Ghetto in My Hometown: OR "TAKING THE STREETS BACK" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My city gets a lot of flack in the news but it's a great place to live if you like friendliness and helpfulness which it ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By walleye
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaDawg

Thread: NB! :Carry Promoted in the Ghetto in My Hometown: OR "TAKING THE STREETS BACK"

My city gets a lot of flack in the news but it's a great place to live if you like friendliness and helpfulness which it is noted for "The City of Good Neighbors".

But there is horrendous crime in one area, the Ghetto as it's called. I mean this without the racial connotation that often goes with that word. I mean as a localized area of poverty and crime - even though our general crime rate falls yearly and is not high to begin with. It is also very close to a very nice area where I live - so it is a very defined area.

I dislike intensely when I hear the people who live there talked about like they're all BGs. Even in this area most citizens are good people who daily face much more danger then many of us. Well, now they are doing something about it legally but forcefully:

"Gun Club Reorganizes on East Side, Partially for Safety
    By Deidre Williams
    News Staff Reporter
    Published:July 3, 2012, 7:52 AM

Shooting sports and firearms training generally are not hot topics in the African-American community.
    But some East Side residents mainly concerned about personal safety are reconstituting a dormant hunting and fishing club with the backing of a local National Rifle Association official.
    The Dorie Miller Rifle and Pistol Club will primarily serve African-Americans interested in hunting, fishing, outdoor living skills, and sport and competitive shooting. But its founders also hope to encourage protection of family, property and oneself.
    “We are a community under siege because of crime,” said Aqiel Qadir, the interim president of the restarted group, which was named for a black World War II Navy hero. “We’re not safe in the house,” he added, citing home invasions and stray bullets that shatter windows and pierce walls.
    Last year, several neighbors contacted Qadir about the gun club. They were concerned that violent crime is “running rampant in our community,” said Qadir, 67, a retired Buffalo Special Police Officer who got his gun permit in 1975.
    Since December, 75 people have attended twice-monthly meetings. An NRA charter is pending.
    “We’re not safe in the barber shop,” he continued. “We’re not safe in the beauty salons. We’re not safe in the car. We’re not even safe at GiGi’s anymore.”
    He recalled an April 2007 incident in which three teenagers armed with handguns held up employees and patrons of GiGi’s restaurant, an institution and communal kitchen for much of the city’s black community since the 1960s.
    Members of Dorie Miller will be required to join the NRA. If some are surprised by the connection to the gun rights group – regarded by some blacks as a haven for racists and separatists – the truth is the organization has been “very supportive” of the East Side club and similar ones as far back as the civil rights era, Qadir said.
    , and president of the association’s Judges and Police Conference of Erie County.
    Schroeder has been meeting with members of the East Side gun club.
    “They are very enthusiastic about it. I told them, ‘Any way I can help you, I will,’” said Schroeder, who has been friends with Qadir for more than 30 years. Schroeder also is the executive secretary of the Erie County Conservative Party.
    Schroeder said the Dorie Miller club can help dispel the myth that guns are only weapons of crime and that they only are used in bad ways. He said “honest citizens” can thwart violent crimes because they have a means of protecting themselves.
    “An armed society is a polite society,” he said. “The criminal has his way because too many good people are unarmed. If the next 10 acts of violence perpetrated upon an honest citizen ended up with the honest citizen shooting the attacker, that would do more to cut down on violent crime than doubling the size of a police force. Police don’t prevent crimes. They investigate crimes.”
    Buffalo police have no issues with the club.
    “As far as the new club, we have no objections to law-abiding, responsible, legal gun owners,” Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda said by email through a spokesman. In fact, some officers have come to the meetings, and three or four retired officers have expressed interest in joining, Qadir said.
    The new club, which will shoot at the Niagara Gun Range in North Tonawanda, has three objectives, Qadir said. One is to provide gun training as a way of “protection for ourselves, our families and our homes.” It also is meant to educate the community [it is not true] that “gun control is not in our best interest” and that gun control “has a history of racism,” he said, referring to the notion that it has been used to disarm blacks. The club also wants to teach young people that recreational shooting can be a means to fund a college education, just like other sports.
    More than 32 colleges and universities nationwide offer scholarships in recreational shooting, Qadir said. More than 22 have competitive shooting programs, according to a 2009 column by former NRA President John C. Sigler in an NRA newsletter.
    “Collegiate shooting is a way to go to college, to help pay to go to school,” Qadir said. “Firearms can take you to college or take you to jail.”
    Members of the club must take a firearms safety course from an NRA-certified instructor before applying for a handgun permit, if they don’t already have one. Once members are approved for the permit, instructors will help them select a firearm and provide additional training at a firing range to help the new gun owners better understand how to use a gun safely. Not all gun clubs provide such instruction, Qadir said.
    “We’re not just a bunch of people shooting guns,” he said. “We’re a community-minded and [community-]oriented group that wants to make a significant contribution to the community and the quality of life.”
    dswilliams@buffnews.com

Last edited by walleye; July 5th, 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Sounds wonderful. Hopefully it can become a hot spot for learning effective defensive methods. If they can help dispel the myths surrounding guns=crime then they might end up doing a lot of good. Hopefully the town 'authorities' are behind such a thing. I hope there aren't insurmountable biases and prejudices in the way, given that it's the people acknowledging that 'traditional' steps haven't stemmed the tide of crime in the area. Good for the residents. I hope they can help to take their streets and neighborhoods back.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    This is great news. We need more communities to band together to protect themselves and one another. I'm glad they are being responsible and not just buying firearms that they don't know how to safely operate. Self defense is not race-based. All people have that right.
    beararms likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^I'm gonna^^^^^^^^^^^^

Echo ccw9mm's response.. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for the neighborhood to realize firearms are as important to the honest folk, as they are to the police and thugs.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sounds wonderful. Hopefully it can become a hot spot for learning effective defensive methods. If they can help dispel the myths surrounding guns=crime then they might end up doing a lot of good. Hopefully the town 'authorities' are behind such a thing. I hope there aren't insurmountable biases and prejudices in the way, given that it's the people acknowledging that 'traditional' steps haven't stemmed the tide of crime in the area. Good for the residents. I hope they can help to take their streets and neighborhoods back.
    No, the Police are very much behind these folks - as it says in the article some police officers have attended their meetings even.

(Police here seem very accepting of citizens carrying. I was stopped for a possible traffic violation (I explained and he accepted that). I did what I thought best and told him I had a permit and was armed from the beginning. All he did was check car/driver out, and bid me good night. At the end I said "But don't you want to see my permit?" He said: "No, you're all set, good night".

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    This is great news. We need more communities to band together to protect themselves and one another. I'm glad they are being responsible and not just buying firearms that they don't know how to safely operate. Self defense is not race-based. All people have that right.
    Very good points. SD is also not based in having money. I get peeved when the cheaper guns are sneered at sometime. Yes, I have an $1100 gun - though I saved for it - but Hi-Points, Taurus etc. are all some poor people can afford - and sometimes they really need to have a gun (legally). Like these people - I know they are very poor. Well, thank God all guns don't cost $1100. These people would be out in the cold getting killed by drive-bys etc.

I'm very happy my poor neighbors are helping themselves. Just last year a little boy, one of these people's children for God's sake, was killed by a shot from a "Drive-By". I mean, that's horrible, think of the mother and father. That's when the perps have crossed the line and it's time to say "NO!". Sounds like they have.

I may join their group to show my support.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    While I have my brand preferences, I would never criticize someone's gun purchase if it were based on necessity/budget rather than ignorance. People have to do what they have to do, and if a cheaper gun will help these people take care of themselves, I'm all for it. I'd much rather they fight back than give up and be the victims all their lives.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Sponsored Links