Letter to local store - Page 2

Letter to local store

This is a discussion on Letter to local store within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chiefrcd - Glad you like it! Help yourself to it!!! Anyone should feel free to take it and tailor it to their needs! Like I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Letter to local store

Chiefrcd - Glad you like it!

Help yourself to it!!!
    Anyone should feel free to take it and tailor it to their needs!
    Like I said, I copied off of 3 or 4 other letters and tweaked it for my situation.

Seeing I Don't Live In The Kansas City Area....

Does this "Gun-Buster" sign carry the weight of law? If it doesn't, then don't worry about it. If it does..

FireStar M40

As long as the signage meets the requirement of the Kansas AG, the sign DOES have the weight of law behind it.
    This sign meets all requirement of a legal AG posted "gunbuster".

Great letter, I hope they respond so you can share their response.

Personally, I wouldn't expect to get anything from it other than the usual..."thank you for contacting us."

Although more and more Americans are choosing to arm themselves legally, we are still in the minority. Folks who aren't legally armed don't pay attention to signs anyway. Companies post these signs for a variety of reasons. They have a bad experience at one of their locations and think that posting a sign will prevent it from happening again. They feel that posting a sign will spare them from litigation if something does happen. They think that posting that sign will assure their customers who don't carry that there are no weapons on the premises. Pick a reason or add one of your own.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Nice letter, I'd change only one thing...
    I have passed several background checks performed by KHP, KBI, FBI, BATF and NCIS
    I don't thing agent Gibbs has that kind of authority...
    catt101 likes this.
    Murphy was an optimist...

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    For everyone wanting to know about a response, there won't be. She sent in anonymously. I understand that to a point, but to have any credibility, I would think they would want to know who sent it. It is a great letter.
    RetiredLE and gasmitty like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Calamitus - Thank you!!! My fingers apparently got ahead of my brain again!!! As I get older that seems to be a more regular occurrence!!! Good eye!!!

NCIC!!!! Will change that ASAP!!!!

Catt

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Nice letter. Hope you get a response.
    So maybe you will get a response. What purpose does your letter serve? It probably just makes you feel better and that is about it. Do you really believe they put the sign there just because yada yada? They have an opinion just like you that is 180 degrees from your thought process on CC and firearms. They certainly should not be surprised by your letter and I would think they may very have gotten letters in favor of the policy. Chill out and go about your life.

Quote Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
    ... simply letting them know WHY they have lost my $$$$.
    And that's about all you can hope for. Whether they'll understand is something else entirely. But that's the "adult" part, appreciating that they've every right to attempt to improve security how they see fit, just as we have every right to not go into such criminal-empowerment zones. IMO, better that they know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm glad you sent the letter. Remaining silent, can be interpreted by the store, as being okay with it. Not hearing any feedback, the store could honestly say, "We haven't had any complaints about the sign".

Granted, they (the store) can do what they want, and you (the customer) can shop where you want. At least you let them know how you felt......no harm in doing that.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    So maybe you will get a response. What purpose does your letter serve? It probably just makes you feel better and that is about it. Do you really believe they put the sign there just because yada yada? They have an opinion just like you that is 180 degrees from your thought process on CC and firearms. They certainly should not be surprised by your letter and I would think they may very have gotten letters in favor of the policy. Chill out and go about your life.
    To be fair, they may have simply posted the sign because they received it in a packet with other signs routinely sent to retailers. I see posts (on the OFCC facebook page and forum) from folks who drop off "no guns, no money" cards and then follow up to learn the retailer thought it was required and subsequently removed them.

You may be right that the sign was posted with a purpose and it expresses the opinion of the owner/manager, but if someone wants to patronize a store and perhaps educate the owner, it can't hurt to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Companies post these signs for a variety of reasons. They have a bad experience at one of their locations and think that posting a sign will prevent it from happening again. They feel that posting a sign will spare them from litigation if something does happen.
    Here in Wisconsin, our law was written that, in my opinion, should deter businesses from putting up these gun ban signs. From the FAQ at our Department of Justice website:

"If an employer allows the carrying of concealed weapons and someone is injured or killed as a result of a license holder using the weapon, is the employer legally liable?
    Generally no. However, there may be circumstances where such liability may exist and a discussion of such situations is beyond the scope of this brief legal summary.
    The law provides:
     A person who does not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising from his or her decision. Wis. Stat. 175.60(21)(b).
     An employer who does not prohibit one or more employees from carrying a concealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision. Wis. Stat. 175.60(21)(c)."

If I twist that around in MY mind, I would say a business that posts a "No Guns" sign has the duty to protect me while I am within their place of business. If me or a loved one would be injured or killed while on their posted property, they should be liable and thus be sued.

So here in Wisconsin, I really can't see why a business would post "No Guns" signs other than that they are anti-second amendment and thus will not get my business.

Where I work, the no guns sign ARE posted. My job includes a lot of travel in Wisconsin, especially to remote places way up North. With the company policy, I can not protect myself from lunatics OR wild animals. Yes, I do see bears, wolves and coyotes at some of our remote sites. I have instructed my wife to get the best scumbag lawyer if I am killed at work and how to run the company when SHE becomes owner and CEO.
    oneshot likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

If you feel that strongly about the store's policy then sign the letter.

Just curious....they prohibit concealed carry, what about open carry?
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    For everyone wanting to know about a response, there won't be. She sent in anonymously. I understand that to a point, but to have any credibility, I would think they would want to know who sent it. It is a great letter.
    Next time set up a disposalable E-mail addresss.

How did you send the letter snail mail?
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links