Letter to local store

Letter to local store

This is a discussion on Letter to local store within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the letter I composed today after being confronted with a "Gun-Buster" sign. I copied and tweaked from a few different letters that I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Letter to local store

Letter to local store

This is the letter I composed today after being confronted with a "Gun-Buster" sign.

I copied and tweaked from a few different letters that I have seen. I will admit I am plagiarizing.
    Some people can write better than I can. It all fits on one page neatly, unlike how it takes to the formatting here!

Can't remember where I got them from, but If it was you, I thank you for your inspiration!

Opinions????

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

Attn: Owner/General Manager
    ********* Road
    ********, KS 66*** July 6, 2012

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to you in regards to a sign posted at your **** ***** Drive store. The sign that I
    am referring to is a "No Concealed Weapons" sign posted by the front door. I noticed this sign today as I
    was headed into your store to purchase KC Royals/ All Star gear for my family. I had to turn around and leave before I even got to the door. Unfortunately, I will no longer be patronizing any of your
    establishments since you apparently do not want people like me in your store.

I am a middle-aged, married woman with children. I hold a Concealed Carry License issued by
    the state of Kansas, with a permit from the state of Florida in process. As a holder of these documents, I have passed several background checks performed by KHP, KBI, FBI, BATF and NCIC, as well as state mandated proficiency training. So, in reality, you know quite a bit about me. These security and safety processes ensure to you that I am not a felon, a fugitive, convicted of a crime of domestic violence, an abuser of controlled substances, subject to a restraining order, an illegal alien, or a mental defective. How much do you know about your other customers?

Self defense is a fundamental human right and is supported by the United States Constitution
    and the Kansas Constitution. Apparently your store feels that law-abiding citizens can not be trusted
    to carry a legal firearm to protect their families while they go about their daily business. However, you
    apparently trust criminals to respect your signage. This is a false logic; if a criminal has decided to rob your store or commit an act of violence on your premises, do you really believe that a "No Concealed Weapons" sign is going to stop them? It actually serves as notice to criminals that they are entering a "Gun-Free Victim Zone". If this turns out to be the case and the unthinkable happens and patrons or employees are harmed or killed, your company may find itself liable. By restricting a person from carrying a legal concealed weapon in your store, you have assumed responsibility for their safety.

I feel very strongly about my right to defend my family, and will not frequent businesses that do
    not support that right. I will be happy to resume my patronage of your establishment if and when that sign comes down. Until then, I am compelled to take my patronage elsewhere, and advise my family and friends to do the same.

As a Concealed Carry permit holder, discretion is a must. I do not advertise that I carry a
    weapon to protect my family. And to look at me you would not expect or be able to notice that I am
    armed. Therefore, in the interest of privacy, I am not able to sign my name at the bottom of this letter. Please understand that I am a local customer who - prior to receiving my permit - has spent a decent amount of money in your stores.

I wish to thank you for your attention to this matter.

Kansas CCW Holder
    Last edited by catt101; July 7th, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Fix error changing NCIS to NCIC!

VIP Member
    Just curious, is the store affiliated with the team/organization? If so no number of letters or amount of logic will make a difference. The KC Royals and KC Chief organizations both are anti gun.

Follow the link and scroll down to organizations:

Anti-gun Companies, Organizations, Media And Celebrities - Gun Owners Of America
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

No, this store is not affiliated with the teams. It is a privately owned small chain that specializes in local teams both professional and college.
    But, that is good to know.. Thanks!

Nice letter. Hope you get a response.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    Up until the day they are robbed/killed/shot at, they will not care one bit if you don't shop there.
    Most places do not get "It", and are following the direction of lawyers and a foolhardy Idealogy, that, the odds of "It" happening to their little corner of the world is slight, and that is what drives their mentality.

Good letter BTW,,,

Good luck with it!
    catt101 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Up until the day they are robbed/killed/shot at, they will not care one bit if you don't shop there.
    Most places do not get "It", and are following the direction of lawyers and a foolhardy Idealogy, that, the odds of "It" happening to their little corner of the world is slight, and that is what drives their mentality.

Good letter BTW,,,

Good luck with it!
    Couldn't have said it better so not going to try!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

P95
    I OC and CC...but we need to understand. Businesses have the right to exercise "their beliefs and constitutional rights" the same as we do. Sometimes they collide...thats when being an adult is important.
    tacman605 and BlueHawk76 like this.

I agree that they don't get "IT". But, the chances that it will happen to them are closer than the owners care to know. I believe they have blinders on. A Pizza Hut not 2 blocks away has been robbed in the past three months, and a Sonic one block away has been robbed twice on the past two months.
    When March madness hits, especially if KU has advanced, there are lines out the door of this store, and they set up a cash register on the sidewalk. This year I noticed that I could have walked away with the register, they were not watching it closely and would walk away from it to assist a customer on the sidewalk!
    NO, I probably wont change things, but they still need to know that we are out here.

Thanks!
    danwdooley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I OC and CC...but we need to understand. Businesses have the right to exercise "their beliefs and constitutional rights" the same as we do. Sometimes they collide...thats when being an adult is important.
    I agree... Not pitching a fit, simply letting them know WHY they have lost my $$$$.
    ppkheat likes this.

I like it, I "borrowed" you version and modified it to fit my state and circumstances. Thanks for taking the time to put it together in a really nice letter. I'm sure few who receive this would change their minds or policies, but if enough local folks turn their dollars elsewhere....they will take notice.
    catt101 likes this.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Quote Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
    I agree that they don't get "IT". But, the chances that it will happen to them are closer than the owners care to know. I believe they have blinders on. A Pizza Hut not 2 blocks away has been robbed in the past three months, and a Sonic one block away has been robbed twice on the past two months.
    When March madness hits, especially if KU has advanced, there are lines out the door of this store, and they set up a cash register on the sidewalk. This year I noticed that I could have walked away with the register, they were not watching it closely and would walk away from it to assist a customer on the sidewalk!
    NO, I probably wont change things, but they still need to know that we are out here.

Thanks!
    I suspect that if something does happen to them, say a robbery or worse, their rigid thinking process will only serve to validate to them, their decisions regarding their policy. If anything, they may post bigger signs. It doesn't have to make sense in the rational world. Just in theirs.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Let us know if you get a response.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin
    "A gentlemen will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Nice letter, please let us know if you get a response.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Money talks...hope it helps with sign removal...keep us posted!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Establishments who label themselves as gun free zones are doing what they think is best for their customers and their company - given our litigious society. So be it. What they don't get is that the average criminal could care less about their signs.

I have made a conscious decision to be armed wherever I go. If my freedom to protect myself and my family is restricted, then I go elsewhere to spend my hard earned money. It's a good idea however to let these gun free zone businesses know that they are losing business ($$) from law abiding (armed) citizens who disagree with their policies.

Which brings me to one of my well worn sayings when I trained new hires: 'It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.'

For those with some time on their hands, a good read is an article called, "On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs" By LTC (RET) Dave Grossman, author of "On Killing."

Stay safe out there,

Mike
    catt101 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links