good starter gun for someone who never shot any kind of firearm?

This is a discussion on good starter gun for someone who never shot any kind of firearm? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what do u guys think?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: good starter gun for someone who never shot any kind of firearm?

good starter gun for someone who never shot any kind of firearm?

what do u guys think?

2. Remove Ads

Go to gun store that will rent you one, try several before you buy one, and don't let anyone convince you that a 1911 is too much for you.
    smolck and Erick46590 like this.

Browning buckmark camper for a pistol, with a fiber optic front sight. No recoil. Not loud. Cheap ammo. Accurate. Reliable.

I run 3-400 rounds through mine every week with the least expensive ammo I cans find, and have a blast doing so.

This pistol has introduced three to shooting. All ave continued shooting.

Lots of these qualities carry over to other 22's. I like the feel of the buckmark over ruger, and wheel guns, though the latter require less maintenance
    bigdog44, First Sgt and BkCo1 like this.

P95
    I would go with a .22 to start with.

22 rifle, 12 gauge shotgun, learning gun safety first, and not pointing gun at anything you dont want to shoot and kill. Then move on to pistols, where muzzle control and safety requires a little more thinking. Start with a reliable 22 plinker, and then move to other calibers. Learn how to load, unload, safety check, and shoot each individual pistol or long gun you try. Better to be overinformed than injured. Work your way up to the big guns, and end up with the Barrett 50cal. bunker
    gunthorp and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

.22...revolver...then work your way up!

(Rapidly!)LOL

You don't go out and buy a Harley Road bike until you have mastered riding a bicycle.

Not necessarily a .22, what do you want a gun FOR?

There are lots of places to take a classe for your Concealed Weapons Permit in Southern FL...sign up for a class (4-6 hours) and talk with an instructor.
    Don't be in a rush to buy a gun...buy once to meet your REAL needs.
    Pistology and Guest1 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If there is a local in door range that rents weapons go do some shooting . Next any friends that own weapon a day of shoot is in order.
    We just did that for a friends wife thats is looking for her first CC. I think we over did it a bit but she had a lot of different weapons to try out yesterday
    There are really no such thing as a starter gun. Except maybe those those use to start races with.
    Your taste and needs will change with time so don't worry about the first weapon you buy being a life long partnership .
    First figure out why you want one
    what you want it to do Home protection,CC, both maybe. That will help you a lot .
    Nothing wrong with a Harley touring bike as your first ride just requires a bit more prep work.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not necessarily a .22, what do you want a gun FOR?

There are lots of places to take a classe for your Concealed Weapons Permit in Southern FL...sign up for a class (4-6 hours) and talk with an instructor.
    Don't be in a rush to buy a gun...buy once to meet your REAL needs.
    Yep.

It doesnt change from post to post. You said that you have never handled a gun. Please seek out an instructor and learn the fundamentals, then shoot a multiple of handguns. Then make a educated choice. Do it right. You will not regret it...
    First Sgt and WHEC724 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Starter guns fire blanks. You probably want a real gun that fires bullets.

I'd start with a .22 (Ruger MK's come to mind). They're accurate, no recoil, easy to learn the basics even all by yourself. A buddy proficient with handguns would be a great help to get you started.

There is always need for a plinker, so a .22 is never wasted money. Once you learn the basics, it's time to start the never-ending quest for your 'real' handguns. Maybe you can even seek professional instruction then should you so feel. Most ranges are full of people eager to teach you and assists you in any way you want.

Welcome to the world of firearms.

Stay safe.

VIP Member
    That's exciting. If you've never fired any kind of firearm, shotguns, rifles, and handguns will all present unique training requirements. Be sure to do some research and get good training for each type. Within each category, no single firearm will do it all, but if you stick with highly regarded and popular models, they will be satisfying and easy to customize or repair.

I doubt Wild Bill Hickock started with a 22 and worked his way up. I started with a 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt followed soon after with a Colt Gold Cup in 45 Auto. Later I added a 22 target pistol and a pellet gun. You might say I did it backwards.

I suggest a Remington 870 Wingmaster or 870 Express 12 ga for a great shotgun with extra barrels for dedicated purposes.

A 10/22 rifle makes a good trainer, but an accurate 30 caliber, whether bolt, lever, or high capacity, is recommended.

It won't be long before you're looking for a good gun safe.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My first firearm was a Mosin Nagant. I "downgraded" to a 10/22 after that.

I took a friend from work to a gun show the other week for his first gun. He ended up leaving with an SKS and a case of ammo, and I showed him how to use it the next day. He didn't have any trouble with it.

My thoughts:
    Glock 19
    SKS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nydru90 View Post
    what do u guys think?
    What is the purpose? Home defense? Carry? Sporting? Dual use (e.g., both home defense and carry)?

The purpose will narrow the choice.

Chime in with the intended use, and you'll receive much more constructive responses.

I agree with those who have advocated determining the purpose first. Personally, I had experience with rifles and shotguns but not handguns. Before I purchased a handgun, I rented many different kinds at the range until I settled on one that I was reasonably competent with given my experience. I also spent time poking around old threads in several forums to absorb some knowledge. Eventually I settled here. Perhaps a similar approach might work for you. I wish you luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links