Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

This is a discussion on Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CDRGlock Sorry if it This was a rude question. I couldn't think of a better way to ask it. So every New ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Sorry if it This was a rude question. I couldn't think of a better way to ask it.

So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the case? Because it is the most common retail store in the country? Why not "The Mall" or "The Flea Market". I find those areas to be a higher functioning test since many more people are in your personal space.
    Great question, I wondered the same thing when I first got my CHL back in 2009 thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    For me, the closest wal-mart is eighty miles from away in washington. I live in idaho and washington does not honor my ccw permit, so I can`t conceal carry there. Open carry is legal in washington, but I don`t open carry.
    If you frequent WA enough, you should apply for a non-resident WA CPL. We're a shall issue state and I believe our permit is recognized in ID as well as many other states. A Utah concealed carry license would probably work too.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the notorious number of incidents that occur at Walmart or in the parking lot. I swear its a crime magnet. The Wally Walk is a good test because you might be more likely to have to use your ccw! ;)

I'm not a big Walmart shopper. I did get a pizza and a six pack to go at the pizza place down the road, though.

You guys are forgetting the DC Wally World Certificate...available ONLY to DC members and after posting pics of the trek.
    It's a 10" x 14" certificate, framed, and signed by one of the mods...usually Sixto.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It started out ..... because you can buy ammo (or other gun related things), chips/steak and a carry shirt ..... all in the same place, and everyone has a Walmart nearby somewhere.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You guys are forgetting the DC Wally World Certificate...available ONLY to DC members and after posting pics of the trek.
    It's a 10" x 14" certificate, framed, and signed by one of the mods...usually Sixto.
    LOL! Is this for real?
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    cool. That is Zonker with a "Z". Z-O-N-K-E-R.

The Old Anglo likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Pink's a flattering color. "Prints" badly though.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The Wally World walk also offers the opportunity to pick up some more ammo and to look for clothing for better concealment.
    EXACTLY what I did on my first CCW outing (at Wal Mart, of course).
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    WalMart was one of the first places but I do believe the very first place was a gun shop. Heck I can't remember.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Because, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, you must be cautious.
    SWIll, Darrow75 and ninjahippie like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Try Whole Foods and see how it goes!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Walmart is someplace everyone knows, and it has a little bit of everything. You can make the rounds to all the different departments and pick up the important things. Ammo, a shoot-em up movie, munchies and drinks for the movie, and of course that much needed new cover garment. Plus Walmart is a gun friendly business. Most malls aren't.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ok, so it's the chicken or the egg thing. Did I go to Wal-Mart because I was newly armed or did I and - this is the real reason, I went armed because I was going to Wal-Mart. Actually I did not go armed because, because of all the Wal-Mart "People" videos and the crime reputation, the area I live in, though probably not completely crime free is generally quite ok and for years before I got my CCW, I've made countless trips to this particular Wal-Mart which is in easy driving distance from our house, and never once encountered a mugging in process or faced a BG. So, no, I did not and do not go armed because I'm going there. I go armed because I now have the license and can go armed most places.

But, it may have been the first time I went there with my wife on one of our almost weekly shopping missions. I did not have a holster yet for my CZ82 so I had it tucked down inside my waistband at about 3 o'clock. Of course I'm a little self-conscious. Am I printing? Is this overhanging tee shirt (yes, at least it's a dark colored one) loose enough to hide any tell-tale bulge? I hope so. I think we tend to walk funny at this time just to try to hide our carry side better.

So what does my wife have me do? Down on my knees in the aisle reaching over to the far inner reaches of the bottom shelf to retrieve six boxes of pizza mix (that's another story) and my back is horizontal to the floor and I can just sense that there is a huge pointed bump sticking out the back side of my shirt and the cops are on the way to investigate the MWAG. Of course there would be other shoppers milling about the same aisle. I'll do my best to keep my carry side up close to the rack of canned goods.

I guess I passed the test. I didn't appear to draw any attention. We made it through the rest of the shopping and were out of there and I know not even my wife was aware of what I had tucked down in the side of my pants.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links