Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

This is a discussion on Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Crescentstar Large, well populated store, usually open 24 hours. it is a good place to test the waters. What do you mean ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    Large, well populated store, usually open 24 hours. it is a good place to test the waters.
    What do you mean by testing the waters? How well you concealed your weapon? I just ask my wife....hey...can you tell I am packing? I seriously don't get the wally world trip. Anyway.....JMO.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I don't go to the local Walmart anymore. It is the most dangerous place in the entire county. A while back due to all the violence, they ended up going from 24 hours to closing at 10pm every night. My wife talked to some local LEOs a while back that told her just don't go there at all EVER.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    In a world that most of us feel the need to carry gun.... In my opinion, it just adds a few minutes of fun.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Because the other side see us as a bunch of redneck, gun toten crazys with no education they same way they see folks that shop at walmart.
    It seems many enjoy bugging them by playing into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Because the other side see us as a bunch of redneck, gun toten crazys with no education they same way they see folks that shop at walmart.
    It seems many enjoy bugging them by playing into it.
    75% of the grocery dollars spent in the US are spent in a Walmart. That's a lot of well fed, crazy rednecks.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I don't go to the local Walmart anymore. It is the most dangerous place in the entire county. A while back due to all the violence, they ended up going from 24 hours to closing at 10pm every night. My wife talked to some local LEOs a while back that told her just don't go there at all EVER.
    Wow....the LEO's need to step up and take control.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    cool. That is Zonker with a "Z". Z-O-N-K-E-R.

Zonker,

Who's the hot chick?
    She's standing in the vision center, but you certainly wouldn't need glasses to find HER!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    From the reports on the local news. The cops are some of the BGs. In the NC state legislature their is a bill to appoint a civilian oversight group to monitor the local PD.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Sorry if it This was a rude question. I couldn't think of a better way to ask it.

So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the case? Because it is the most common retail store in the country? Why not "The Mall" or "The Flea Market". I find those areas to be a higher functioning test since many more people are in your personal space.
    I'll take a stab at this.
    Like a lot of 'traditions' this one exists not because it is the 'best' place to carry, or is a test of any real value to the carrier. If I had to guess it would be the ubiquitous presence of WalMart in the U.S. It's also considered the lowest common denominator of U.S. culture. Most everyone can relate to 'WalMart people'. You might say that this tradition grew on it's own and has been adopted by certain groups in the concealed carry population.

Look at this link and tell me you wouldn't carry at a walmart: Funny Pictures at WalMart

Regards,
    Brian

Sorry if it This was a rude question. I couldn't think of a better way to ask it.

So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the case? Because it is the most common retail store in the country? Why not "The Mall" or "The Flea Market". I find those areas to be a higher functioning test since many more people are in your personal space.
    This is why: Funny Pictures at WalMart

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    Who doesn't have a Wal-mart near them? It is THE store that everyone can relate to and most people have shopped or do shop there. As far as I know, Wal-mart isn't anti-gun to the point of banning the carrying of concealed weapons while other stores, malls or restaurants do.

Also, there are likely many isles varying from busy to desolate so someone new to carrying can experiment with how they feel in different crowds.

If a gun does happen to show at a Wal-mart, the typical shopper is probably less likely to freak out than the latte sipping hipsters found at other stores.

The first time I carried concealed was at my local Wal-mart. I had to do the "Wal-mart walk".
    Closest Wal-Mart to me is about 70 miles away. We have a Kmart, and a crappy one at that. It could fit inside the restaurants that are at most Wal-marts.

I never had to walk around Wal-Mart to get comfortable carrying. I just went about my normal business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    cool. That is Zonker with a "Z". Z-O-N-K-E-R.

Was this REALLY necessary?!?!? Why would anyone feel the need to take a picture of someone who OBVIOUSLY has psychological issues? NO ONE gets that big unless they have unresolved problems (almost ALWAYS a history of abuse, usually sexual abuse). Sorry...I'm a physician and am very protective of ANYONE with health issues, whether they're physical or psychological. BTW, to the person who posted this picture and to those of you who think this is funny, you should all be ashamed of yourselves, but if any of you want to talk about YOUR issues feel free to IM me.
    hinkleid likes this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

I like to avoid Wal-Mart altogether myself, unless I have to shop there (later at night). I do not agree with their business practices, and prefer other stores here (Costco, Fred Meyer, Target). Just hard to beat their grocery prices though. I know that if I go there on the 1st-5th (State Food Stamp day) it is like a war zone.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Because, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, you must be cautious.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."
    Darrow75 and Sarge65 like this.

VIP Member

I've never heard of Walmart being such a place. When I started carrying, I didn't go to anyplace special to "test the waters." I just went out and did my thing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links