Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation? - Page 4

Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

This is a discussion on Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow! you folks forgot already how the Wal-Mart "tradition" first got started? It was the concealed carry "test" to go into Wal-Mart - walk around ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

Administrator
    Wow! you folks forgot already how the Wal-Mart "tradition" first got started? It was the concealed carry "test" to go into Wal-Mart - walk around and then buy the Nachos.

Nobody even mentioned the infamous NACHOS?

I started carrying daily long before Wal-Mart even existed so it never applied to me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That's really surprising. I've NEVER been to a Walmart that felt unsafe. The only problem I've had is that while they have the BEST prices on ammo, the shelves are almost always bare. I suspect there are people who work there that call their friends when the shipments arrive. With prices going up 25% per year, I've been buying every chance I get. I've got a pretty good inventory, but I'm going to continue to buy. Who knows what will happen if Obama gets re-elected or gets his guy voted in as the new chief of the ATF (supposedly the MOST anti-gun candidate he could find...can't remember his name)!!!!! Academy has pretty good prices.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

There is no collective chain store I have been to where a peddler has begun his pitch with "hey, man, I just got out of jail ...." more than at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Wow! you folks forgot already how the Wal-Mart "tradition" first got started? It was the concealed carry "test" to go into Wal-Mart - walk around and then buy the Nachos.

I started carrying daily long before Wal-Mart even existed so it never applied to me.
    At the local WW here, they took out the little snack shack they had inside and McDonalds set up shop. Now you have to get one of those tiny cheeseburgers that you can eat in one bite.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Haven’t seen a Wal-Mart with nachos in years, all around here have Subway sandwich shops.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This actually surprises me. I grew up in the Portland and Portland Metro area of Oregon and even spent a few years living in Washington before i went into the U.S.A.F. and Washington is an Anomalous Open Carry state. meaning unless the city town or county has a ban on open carry, you can open carry anywhere other than schools, airports, courthouses, and major crowded events like music festivals and whatnot! so for them to NOT honor a CCW from idaho when they DO honor them from Oregon is very surprising.

I would guess that the odds of needing your firearm in walmart are greater than the average neighborhood grocery :)

Wal-Mart cherry...

My 'first time' was at a Wally World. It's the biggest place to visit in my small town.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

My first time concealed carrying was at Wal-Mart. It wasn't just to go to test things out. I really needed to go to Wal-Mart. I carry everywhere unless it is prohibited such as schools, hospitals, government offices and the like.

I prefer Amazon. I consider them more gun friendly since I practice my draw and dry firing drills while shopping.

CJM
    If you're gonna do the Walmart CCW Walk, you must first have a plan in place.

Jaybm likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Walmart was the first store I OC'd in but not CC.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I had not thought about it until you asked but my first CC was a wal-mart.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockOclock View Post
    I'll take a stab at this.
    Like a lot of 'traditions' this one exists not because it is the 'best' place to carry, or is a test of any real value to the carrier. If I had to guess it would be the ubiquitous presence of WalMart in the U.S. It's also considered the lowest common denominator of U.S. culture. Most everyone can relate to 'WalMart people'. You might say that this tradition grew on it's own and has been adopted by certain groups in the concealed carry population.

Regards,
    Brian
    The original tradition was go to go Wal-Mart, head for the snack bar and enjoy an order of NACHOS.

This was back in the day when most Wally Worlds were not the "Super-Centers" they are today. The older stores had snack bars.

The current tradition is to go to Wal-Mart, buy nacho ingredients and enjoy them at home.

I actually carried open while hunting lol had to say it

My first OC with a handgun was at Carson Park in Eau Claire amd concealed was at the beach on Wisconsin Point. Google it, awesome place.

My first negative reaction to carrying anything was at wallyworld. Just like everybody elses probably lol

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links