Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

This is a discussion on Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why is Walmart Considered 4 A First Carry Initiation?

So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the case? Because it is the most common retail store in the country? Why not "The Mall" or "The Flea Market". I find those areas to be a higher functioning test since many more people are in your personal space.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Who doesn't have a Wal-mart near them? It is THE store that everyone can relate to and most people have shopped or do shop there. As far as I know, Wal-mart isn't anti-gun to the point of banning the carrying of concealed weapons while other stores, malls or restaurants do.

Also, there are likely many isles varying from busy to desolate so someone new to carrying can experiment with how they feel in different crowds.

If a gun does happen to show at a Wal-mart, the typical shopper is probably less likely to freak out than the latte sipping hipsters found at other stores.

The first time I carried concealed was at my local Wal-mart. I had to do the "Wal-mart walk".

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Large, well populated store, usually open 24 hours. it is a good place to test the waters.
    msgt/ret, Sky Pilot and badge70 like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

For me, the closest wal-mart is eighty miles from away in washington. I live in idaho and washington does not honor my ccw permit, so I can`t conceal carry there. Open carry is legal in washington, but I don`t open carry.
    hinkleid likes this.

Yep, the Wally World Walk is the christening for new carriers.
    Sky Pilot and The Old Anglo like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I did my first walk to 7-11 for some beer

plus plenty opportunities to reach for stuff above you and by the floor as you do your shopping.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

VIP Member
    The Wally World walk also offers the opportunity to pick up some more ammo and to look for clothing for better concealment. Actually my first experience was picking up a weapon at command post then heading out to the airplane for preflight.
    Sky Pilot and Digger70chal like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Personally I didn't do my first carry at a Wal-Mart since I seldom go to Wal-Mart. Truthfully I don't recall where I did my first carry (store) with permit. When I received my permit I started carrying the next day.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Subway was my first. I had a nice footlong too :).

If you saw my Walmart of check day you would cautious about being empty handed.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

Walmart has a reputation of being gun friendly or at least gun neutral. Many retailers are posted. 96% of all Americans live within twenty miles of a Walmart. Walmart sells more guns than anybody else in the country. Chances are you bought your ammo at one. Seems only fitting that it would be the first place that new permit holders would carry in public.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

It's Wal Mart, man, the hip and happening place to see and be seen. Step behind the velvet rope and check out the website "The people of Wal Mart." It's like the fair is in town every night...in every town. Freak show.

Either that or its the fact that most everyone has one within 15 minutes of their house and we all end up going there for something several times a week anyway.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Ah the WWW. Where Black Friday alone can kill you and the parking lots are populated with zombie spinoffs.
    zonker1986 and Darrow75 like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Mine was to Walmart...the Wally World Walk....only ours has a whole bunch of sunburned (3rd degree burn) tourists on "holiday" from the UK....mix that with a bunch of Central Florida Rednecks, and you have a night of pure entertainment.
    Who needs Reality TV when you have the real live thing open 24/7....and they carry ammo.
    AZJD1968, Spirit51, darbo and 2 others like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Mine was to Walmart...the Wally World Walk....only ours has a whole bunch of sunburned (3rd degree burn) tourists on "holiday" from the UK....mix that with a bunch of Central Florida Rednecks, and you have a night of pure entertainment.
    Who needs Reality TV when you have the real live thing open 24/7....and they carry ammo.
    and guns!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links