Can a firearm backfire or explode in your hand ?

This is a discussion on Can a firearm backfire or explode in your hand ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes it can happen with 1. Barrel obstruction or 2. Overcharged ammo (exceeding SAAMI stds) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Can a firearm backfire or explode in your hand ?

Yes it can happen with 1. Barrel obstruction or 2. Overcharged ammo (exceeding SAAMI stds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spirit51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    What Hiram said. The likelihood is low but so is a head on car collision. Still, they get in the news anyway for various reasons but some poor schmuck got the short straw every time. Now a backfire? Check the timing, air filter and exhaust.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Yes, yes they can backfire. And it can be quite horrific. Ask PEF
    Be careful when chosing your firearm.

PEF and TN_Mike like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Well you can close your eyes and hit "like" and then hit "unlike" if it gets it out of your system.
    Californian ... of course

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Doesn't using reloads void your warranty with almost every company?
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

if you reload you have watch out for the pressure in the ammo.

Hummm...If it's a black powder and you don't put the grease around the ball bullets, it can chain fire and blow the cylinder apart. Too much powder or a stuck bullet with another being fired on top of it can explode a revolver cylinder on any gun....Ruger is probably the toughest over-engineered in revolvers and less likely. I have personally had the front end come
    right out of a .45 with the last round from the mag fired, it caught the barrel bushing and sent it downrange toward the 25yard rail on fire just like a comet. Found the spring and plug-they fell right in front...never found the barrel bushing. Have heard some wild stories, like a friend that had the slide fracture and come off when his wife was shooting and it went right by her head (from a .45 Colt). Let's see...how many people got hurt when Beretta was first being used by fractured slides coming off, before they fixed the problem and beefed them up (rumored it was about 8, but who knows). Local LEO has blown up two Glock .40 calibers from hot-loads...luckily not hurt bad either time (got powder burned real bad on hands and face), but I would say the .40 is most likely to explode given the reloading specifications being such a small margin of error...even with factory ammo. I've had all kinds of parts fall off...including the rear sights on a .45 (unless you're shooting target practice, they're pretty much useless anyway-don't believe me? Just put the front sight on target and shoot...pretty accurate out to 15 yards or so). If you snow plug a 12guage, it can rupture the barrel. If you stick the barrel in water...same thing...(only guns I've known to fire reliably under water were Glock 17 and the AK-47). Yes...sh**...err...stuff happens. Just be careful and check the frames for any cracks after every range trip...my buddy fired one too many Hertenberger hot rounds through a S&W 5906 and cracked the frame on it...made of AL, whereas the slide is SS.
    Never use an under-hand grip on a automatic gun since if something does go wrong, like a backfire breech explosion it vents the gas downward through the magwell, thereby blowning the mag out....and if you were using an underhand grip like on a revolver, it would probably hurt your hand very bad.
    Also, if you reload, don't shoot lead bullets in a Glock, as it has hexagonal rifled, hammer forged barrel that puts more spin/power on the bullet (200+ more foot pounds on impact) but the lands/grooves will clog up with lead eventually. I have shot a few threw them and after a while, buildup gets bad enough to see two slugs coming out of the barrel...it could cause an obstruction explosion...that's why there is such an aftermarket barrel selection for them...Brownells has tons of them.
    MadPollack likes this.

VIP Member
    Never actually seen it happen but a guy brought a Ruger Superblack into the gun shop I used to hang out at. Seems the upper chamber and both adjacent chambers were blown out. He finally admitted that since Bullseye and 2400 look the same and he was out of 2400 he thought he could substitute the Bullseye at the same charge weight.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

yep if loaded. Nope if nothing in the chamber.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by MNgunner View Post
    I've seen a couple of "explosions." One guy reloaded double the powder in his .45 1911 round. The other one had no powder in his round and managed to 'shoot' the bullet to the pipe and shot the next round ... Then there are the weakened barrels and too much powder/wrong bullet combinations.
    OP in bold AKA "squib." squib load - Google Search
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by nydru90 View Post
    I seen it in a movie once....but can it really happen?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by houdini View Post
    if you reload you have watch out for the pressure in the ammo.
    Plus same if you keep reloading same chamber-round: bullet set-back.

Yes it can, one instance that almost caused a "kaboom" but is very rare, is while training on the range, the staff sergeant next to me had a squibbed (sp) round... basically the round went off but the bullet did not leave the chamber and got stuck about mid way through. He realized it and set the gun down. Had he fired another round, then yes... a "kaboom" would have happened and it would have got ugly. This was in an M9.

The answer is an Unequivicable YES, any gun with a bore obstruction will BLOW UP more offten than force the obstruction out of the barrel. it dosent take much in sub calliber wepons is could be something as inocent as a lady bug crawling in your barrel and getting stuck the wrong way to lodge it shell into your bore and cause your model 60 or your ruger mk111 to turn into a hand grenade that your are left holding

I once had a squib load in a ruger 10/22 during a 30 rd mag dump. I was about 7 or 8 rounds in and one of them felt strange. Unfortunately I pulled the trigger again and the stock came apart in my hand ejecting the magazine while splitting it in two. There was wood, unfired .22 shells, magazine springs, and follower and a few choice words iwere in the air as I dropped the rifle. Thank goodness for eye and ear protection. Counted all my fingers and toes and all was good. Had it checked out and fortunately the barrel was not bulged and no permanent damage. Glued the stock back together and it is just as accurate as it was before. Contemplating swapping out for a heavy barrel and matching stock but have not yet.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links