Can a firearm backfire or explode in your hand ? - Page 3

Can a firearm backfire or explode in your hand ?

This is a discussion on Can a firearm backfire or explode in your hand ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, see below In all seriousness, as others have stated, there are many reasons why a firearm could blowup in your face. Obstructed barrel. Incorrect ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Can a firearm backfire or explode in your hand ?

VIP Member
    Yes, see below

In all seriousness, as others have stated, there are many reasons why a firearm could blowup in your face.

Obstructed barrel.
    Incorrect ammo caliber in firearm
    Cracked/weak barrel.
    Reloaded(& sometimes top shelf as well) ammo with too great a charge of gunpowder
    Ammo with too little gunpowder in case, doesn't leave the barrel, then you pull the trigger on another round,,,,,boom

and probably some more as well.
    Attached Images
    Spirit51 and tcox4freedom like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Back in the 70's I was at a Leo training range and while a guy there was practicing with his revolver it apparently fired an overcharged reload. It was considerably louder than any other round. We never could find the top strap or top portion of the cylinder. Luckily, no injuries, though I do remember feeling tiny pieces of something hit me. I was standing to the side, but behind the shooter.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its a Glock thing....

By tn_mike at 2007-01-04
    Harryball likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by MNgunner View Post
    Harry, help me out here, where is the dislike button situated at?
    New dislike button...... Pull ring and throw under your computer...... works every time

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its a Glock thing....
    It's also a 1911 thing. Let me tell you what happens when one fires a double charge of Bullseye in a .45 1911. It will split both grip panels, making the fingers feel as if they have been blown off and he will drop the pistol. When he looks at his hand to assess the damage, he will be amazed that there is no injury to his hand. Then he will feel something wet on his cheek, and looking in the mirror of his vehicle, he will find his face filled with tiny shrapnel. Thinking " man, I'm glad I had my glasses on", he picks up the gun and finds, beside the grip panels, the only damage is a small dent in the UltraDot tube from falling onto the gravel.

VIP Member
    In all seriousness ('nice shot on the Glock though ;-) it can happen with any gun. Remington overloaded a .22 long rifle round and peppered my face & hands/blew my ears out for me.
    Last edited by WHEC724; July 9th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

I have heard of this happening before, but I have never seen it. That is ONE injury I have never ran. I have ran people who have fireworks blow up in there hands, but not from shooting a gun. Makes me wonder....how rare is this?
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yes it can happen with 1. Barrel obstruction or 2. Overcharged ammo (exceeding SAAMI stds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I really didn't know that....I guess because I have never ran into it before. It makes sense. So I guess....be careful of Reloads or buy store ammo. Never block the barrel or have a obstruction in the barrel, but I think I could have gotten this one. LOL
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Look up "squib load" on gun-friendly Google (JK!) and you'll get an explanation of how this deadly deed can occur. It's not the squib load that gets you. It's that next one!
    l1a1 likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Just with 40 caliber apparently... This drawing comes in so handy!

LOL Thunder71, that's funny.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The more the .40 gets put down the more I know I made the right choice. Jealousy's a powerful force!

But truly, and this is in all honesty and seriousness:

If ya ain't man enough for a .40, by all means get a 9!

Well it's not only Glocks or 1911's. This is an original Ballard black powder rifle that blew up in a ladies hands this June. She was seriously hurt in the process and was luckily able to be put back together. From first hand accounts of people that were there this is a cast frame gun that was converted to shoot 40-65 and should never be chambered for anything other than 22 long rifle and some pistol cartridges.

"Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I saw it happen as well. This guy got a "great deal" on some ammo from Russia. He was shooting and all of a sudden he said it felt like his hand was hit with a baseball bat and the magazine was blown out of the gun. I now only buy US factory made ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by MNgunner View Post
    Harry, help me out here, where is the dislike button situated at?
    Ditto!!!!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links