Can a hug trigger a shot from holstered gun?

This is a discussion on Can a hug trigger a shot from holstered gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was surprised to see this news report this morning. I am trying to figure out how this could happen. I don't know what kind ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Can a hug trigger a shot from holstered gun?

Can a hug trigger a shot from holstered gun?

I was surprised to see this news report this morning. I am trying to figure out how this could happen. I don't know what kind of holster or gun were involved, as the article does not say. Read story below:

"Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun, police say

Published July 09, 2012 Associated Press

DETROIT A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.

Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.

The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor. The officer's name was not released."

Read more: Detroit woman killed when hug triggers officer's gun, police say | Fox News
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Unprotected trigger pocket? Too bad you'll never hear about what his carry was. Too many "facts" for MSM to document.

I just saw that story in the paper. I'm going to guess that there is more to the story than just this. How on earth can a properly holstered pistol accidentally fire? If the woman was shot in the chest, it was possibly a shoulder holster? But it's certainly a weird story!

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This just doesn't add up. Were there witnesses? If it's a he-said she-said I'd investigate as a murder.
    P95 likes this.

It was his department issued M&P but didn't say what kind of holster he was using if any
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

The story I read this afternoon stated it was holstered on his hip.... strange, strange physics at work here.
    Badey likes this.

Maybe he was using Tex Grebner's Serpa
    atctimmy and pocketgroove like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I just heard it on the news tonight. It does not make sense. There has to be a whole lot more to the story than what they are saying. Guns don't "just go off all by themselves"! A properly holstered gun doesn't "just go off"!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

How the hell does a firearm holstered on the hip shoot someone in the lung and heart? That is NOT all there is to the story. Even if she came up from behind and pulled the damned trigger, she couldn't have been shot above the waist without the gun being removed from the holster. Physics has its problems, but it does serve a purpose.

I agree. There's more to this story than meets the eye. Tragedy that the young woman died, but I cannot conceive a scenario where a hug could cause a modern holstered pistol to fire...especially in an upward vector to hit the heart

Clip draw or unprotected trigger? I cannot imagine any conventional holster to cause this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

VIP Member
    Boy I sure wish us nobody civies could use a stupid excuse like these LEO's are using..... Wouldn't you just love to hear the response from a LEO if this same scenario happened to a civilian?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

KoB
    This situation sounds a little FISHY to me, but anything is possible in DETROIT...I know, I grew up there (30 plus years)

Distinguished Member
    I also heard this on radio today. Cannot imagine how this could happen. Think we'll ever know the real story?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links