What to do when LEO doesn't know concealed carry law - Page 3

What to do when LEO doesn't know concealed carry law

This is a discussion on What to do when LEO doesn't know concealed carry law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applaud your approach and your rationale WHEC...Seems as though the LEO was also a reasonable person, and I'm sure your attitude played a big ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: What to do when LEO doesn't know concealed carry law

I applaud your approach and your rationale WHEC...Seems as though the LEO was also a reasonable person, and I'm sure your attitude played a big factor in overcoming his indecision and perhaps lack of knowledge...I personally will give ALL LEO's the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their duties and actions. Are there bad LEO's, sure....Are there idiots in all walks of life, sure...but...guess I can accept and deal, unlike others...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

We shouldn't have to get PA non-resident permits or Florida ect to travel to different states to reciprocate to them. I think that if you have a permit from your state that you should be able to carry in any state that allows ccw with your states permit.

They will say that this wont happen because different states have different standards on getting your permit but they can change that like having the same type of standards in every state so that this can happen. Better yet we shouldn't have to have a permit for us to bear arms, but that isn't ever going to happen throughout the country.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. I did have a beer a few hours earlier, but it should have been long out of my system by then. He didn't ask, and I didn't offer.

Honestly, I couldn't recite the alphabet backwards on my best day.
    Shame on you having a beer and carrying i thought that was a no no. But glad everything turned out ok.

Georgia does not require that a licensee volunteer to LEO’s that he is carrying but does require that the GFL be presented on request.

I would've kept my mouth shut. Of course, I have a FL non-res which is in no way tied to my DL.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Similar ck point returning from the range evening of the 4th. Checking licenses. I leaned over in the seat to access my wallet exposing two spare mags.

Officer:" Armed and ready ?"

Me:" Always. Aren't you?" As I handed him my license.

Officer:" Yes. Thank you. Have a good evening" As he returned my license.

No drama. No hassle.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I've often wondered what would happen if an out of state LEO, or even one from a different county, checked my permit. It was printed on the back of the Sheriff's business card, and then poorly hand laminated by his secretary. Yeah, he's that bad. lol.

Sounds like you handled it well, and the officer probably learned a little something.
    I've actually been in this situation. It seem in some rural locations the permit to carry a concieled firearm may be in an unexpected form. I once stopped a guy for a non firearm related reason. He imeadiately informed me that he was armed. I even remember the kind of a gun. A Colt .25 auto. Anyway he also informed me that he had a permit. It was written on a piece of yellow legal paper and signed by the local sheriff. Long story short, I checked with that Sheriff dept and sure enough it was a legitimate permit. While the permit and firearm wasnt valid within my jurisdiction this happened when the Police has some dscretion. We shook hands and he left with his permited gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MNgunner View Post
    They ought not to have. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

We're (law-abiding citizens) are not guinea pigs for newbie LEO's training.

As to the OP, you did well.
    This brings up a point..........

As a citizen we are not allowed the luxury of "ignorance of a law".... We can be fined and/or jailed for our ignorance. However if an officer of the law hassles/arrests/detains a citizen due to their ignorance of a law nothing usually happens to the officer. On the other hand this can cause the citizen that has been hassled/arrested/detained undue hardship, lost time and depending on the situation financial hardship due to having to retain an attorney. If God forbid the officer of the law is also overzealous one can end up with physical injuries.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I don't think it's fair to lump all police in the same general group. I understand that most of them hardly ever even run across someone carrying with a CPL/CCW permit. Expecting them to know all the laws concerning every state in the union is asking a lot.
    Nobody is expecting a local cop to know the laws of any other state, but he should know the laws of his state if he is going to enforce them. That would include knowing what other states GA has reciprocity with for CCW. As far as knowing other states licenses on site, he should have a reference that allows him to verify that the license at least appears to be proper. I know that they have resources to look up drivers licenses in most cop cars (at least in our area).
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

I'm voting to re-elect our local Sheriff, I'm voting out my local county council representative, I'm voting out a state senator, and of course, there's little wonder how I will vote on POTUS in November. 'Fix what we can, and come up with coping strategies for the stuff that we can't fix yet. Besides, once we can forgive the flaws of others, there's less to be angry about, which allows me to be a happier person.
    looks me and you will have identical ballots come November my friend.

Glad the stop worked out well for you.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

tell them you want to talk to the watch commander

I'm sorry one of our GA boys failed to be up to date on the subject and glad that it worked out for you. 16-11-126 is the GA code for car carry and I really like the idea of carrying a printout of the handgunlaw pages.
    ericb327 likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Go to the state regs websites (or handgun.us) for anywhere you might be traveling, print out the codes, keep them in the car with you, POLITELY offer them as your justification for your actions should the need arise.
    I only travel through one state that I feel might be questionable, Illinois. I printed out their very thorough State Police brochure from their website and laminated the document. I always comply with all of the requirements on the brochure (at IL border I unload weapon, place in COM Safe in trunk of car, and place ammo in a locked glove compartment) and keep laminated brochure in seat pocket on passenger side (accessible from driver's seat.) However, if I would run into a local LEO who questions his own laws, I would surrender weapon, do what he says and contact my lawyer. If you argue with him at all, you have just lost the protection of the law and having the gun is going to be the least of your problems. You will have done jail time before the question ever comes up for review, if it ever does come up for review!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    We shouldn't have to get PA non-resident permits or Florida ect to travel to different states to reciprocate to them. I think that if you have a permit from your state that you should be able to carry in any state that allows ccw with your states permit.

They will say that this wont happen because different states have different standards on getting your permit but they can change that like having the same type of standards in every state so that this can happen. Better yet we shouldn't have to have a permit for us to bear arms, but that isn't ever going to happen throughout the country.
    There's the ideal world. And then there's the real world. The OP's incident description is a great example of how to go about managing life in the real world.
    mprp likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

The most important thing about the law that those enforcing it should always be aware of. If there is no law that says what a person is doing is illegal is that it is legal. That if they do not know of a specific law that is being broken they should not bother the person.

I go on regular rife alongs with a close friend when he is patrolling on the night shift. He constantly gets calls from people demanding he do something about a group of young people sitting in a park or a parking lot because the callers says that they must be up to no good. Then we will drive by the group and my friend will generally wave and possible stop to ask them if everything is okay. He might tell them to make sure that they keep the noise down before telling them to have fun while he drives away.

He and I have the same opinion on law enforcement. That his job is to enforce the law. It is not to detain a person who does not appear to be breaking a law and demand they offer proof that they have done nothing wrong. He feels the same way about guns. When he sees a pickup going down the road with a rack full of rifles in the back window he does not pull them over and demand they show some proof that they have not committed a crime.

Michael

I originally got my CHP because I kept getting conflicting answers when I asked three different police officers how I could keep a handgun in my car and stay out of trouble. I figured that the permit would solve that plus allow me to carry when I needed to do so. Now I carry always except in the office where its prohibited.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links