inquiring about CC policy with your employer

This is a discussion on inquiring about CC policy with your employer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I work in a corporate, suburban setting in finance. I have looked through my employee material, and there is no indication that the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: inquiring about CC policy with your employer

inquiring about CC policy with your employer

Hello All,

I work in a corporate, suburban setting in finance. I have looked through my employee material, and there is no indication that the premises are a guns free location, and one section actually says that "unlawful" possession of a weapon is prohibited -- possibly leaving the door open for legal carry.

Has anyone ever asked their employer for clarification, and how did you go about doing it? In a perfect world you could ask and no one would be hysterically offended and scared that someone might want to carry a weapon, but this sure isn't a perfect world!

any stories would be great

nb: I'm not comfortable with the advice "just carry no matter what", because if discovered I'm sure that could be grounds for termination. So thanks, but no thanks
    Last edited by revolVA; July 9th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

2. Remove Ads

"Let Sleeping Dogs Lie."

VIP Member
    I will bet a dollar to a dime that if and when you make the inquiry, you will be told not to carry. If there isn't a policy specifically prohibiting currently, there will be as soon as you ask.
    ArmyMan, darbo, dean1818 and 11 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I would tend to say that if you looked at the policy, and you aren't prohibited from carrying, there is no need to ask... however, your employer may look at it differently, if you ever are "outed" about carrying.
    357and40 and ArmyMan like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I will bet a dollar to a dime that if and when you make the inquiry, you will be told not to carry. If there isn't a policy specifically prohibiting currently, there will be as soon as you ask.
    Totally agree...

Our employee handbook was very clear, no weapons, so I didn't have to ask. Which is a shame since our CFO was one of my 'references' on my CPL application.

Another vote for "don't ask, don't tell". If they have not specifically said that you can't carry, then I would carry deeply concealed. The minute you ask if you can carry is the minute you will probably receive an answer that you don't like.
    Anubis likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I retired from federal civil service several years ago. Obviously, I couldn't carry at work there. However, a few years after I retired, I decided I wanted to do something during the winter to pick up a little extra spending money. I ended up taking a tax course and worked as a tax preparer. It was a good part time job. Worked January thru the middle of April, made a little bit of money, and it didn't interfere with good motorcycle riding weather.

When I started, I did not carry, as I didn't have a Concealed Handgun License yet. After I got my license, I began carrying all the time. I asked my employer about the company policy. She said she didn't know, but would find out. About a week later, I asked again. She hadn't checked with the corporate offices yet, but said she would. I asked a third time, she still hadn't checked, so I just went ahead and carried all the time I worked there that year.

A woman that I had gone thru training with and worked with for the previous four yearsbought the business from our former employer. Before tax season that year, I brought up the subject with the new owner. She had not known that I had carried everyday I had worked in the past year. Unfortunately, she is one of those individuals who has an irrational fear of guns, and no logical discussion was going to change the way she felt. She did NOT say I couldn't carry, but it was clear she did not like it and was uncomfortable with it. She was also very concerned about liability issues, and had basically everything she owned invested in the business. (In Ohio, she would not be liable if I had to use a weapon to defend my life, but we are talking "feelings" vs logic.)

I thought long and hard about it and decided that I was not willing to give up carrying, especially since I primarily worked late afternoon and evenings and closed the office. A convenience mart about a mile away had been robbed several times in the past couple of months and our office was only about half a mile from a low income housing project that has a heavy drug sale/use problem. While we did not have much cash in the office, I'm not sure the idiot BGs in the area knew that. If anyone came in to rob the place, they could have the little bit of cash we had. However, if anyone tried to march me into the back room, I intended to defend myself! I will NOT willingly be taken into a back room and executed without a fight!

To make a long story short, I turned in my keys and we parted ways. I miss the extra money, but it was a situation where I respected the new owner's feelings and the only honorable thing to do was to quit.

Now, if we are talking about a job that you HAVE to have to support the family, that could lead to a different outcome. Good luck in your particular situation.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

When in doubt, shut up.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 9th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Eagleks and GH like this.

The company I work for also supplies me with a vehicle for both work and personal use. As such I thought it prudent to find out what the company policy was regarding LAWFUL carry in both workplace and vehicle. I first asked our company HR person and was told there was actually no policy in place. I later asked one of the owners and was told the company had no problem with permitted carry... just keep it concealed. Turns out there are others in the company with carry permits although not in the location I work in.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    Since the handbook specifically says no "illegal" weapons, you technically are safe. However VA is a right to work state and your employer does not have to have a reason to terminate you. If he wanted to he could terminate you for asking for permission. I'm lucky in the fact I work for a company where 3 of the 4 owners have their permits, and 2 of the 3 carry daily. They know I carry and have no problems with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

appreciate the input on this guys. I'm new to this (just applied for my permit a week ago) so I figured I'd try and double check all the scenarios just to make sure I don't do something dumb! Not to mention a 23 year old male asking about concealed carry might raise a few HR eyebrows

Quote Originally Posted by revolVA View Post
    appreciate the input on this guys. I'm new to this (just applied for my permit a week ago) so I figured I'd try and double check all the scenarios just to make sure I don't do something dumb! Not to mention a 23 year old male asking about concealed carry might raise a few HR eyebrows
    Honestly, when you get your permit, you want to tell everyone. You want to show all your friends your card or your new piece that you're legally allowed to carry. It's hard, it's very hard, but keep quiet. Nothing good ever comes from sharing. You'll find like minded folks to share with (like here), but most of your acquaintances will not understand. Shhhhhhhhhh......keep it concealed.
    Badey, Chesafreak and joker1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Honestly, when you get your permit, you want to tell everyone. You want to show all your friends your card or your new piece that you're legally allowed to carry. It's hard, it's very hard, but keep quiet. Nothing good ever comes from sharing. You'll find like minded folks to share with (like here), but most of your acquaintances will not understand. Shhhhhhhhhh......keep it concealed.
    yeah, I'm hyper-cautious. Finally it's a good quality!

I also work in finance. Our employee handbook specifically prohibits weapons of any kind. Meanwhile, one of the senior officers there will from time to time bring in a weapon and call me to come look at it and see what I think of it!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links