I've Finally Given In!

This is a discussion on I've Finally Given In! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always been a firm believer in carrying as much ammo as I reasonably could. With my Ruger SR9c, I can carry 10 in the short ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: I've Finally Given In!

Always been a firm believer in carrying as much ammo as I reasonably could. With my Ruger SR9c, I can carry 10 in the short mag and 1 chambered. I also carry the larger mag with 17 rounds in my offside front pocket. That gives me 28 rounds total. With as gun as light as the SR9c, weight just isn't that much of a problem and carrying the 10 rounder in the gun helps with CC. (Both mags come with the gun when new).

Putting the larger mag in my front pocket eliminates those painful dents and pinches in my (larger than it should be) spare tire fat.

If I ever get involved in some kind of fracas where I might actually need 28 rounds, I should be running, not shooting.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Yeah, I just don't want to be be the guy with everything but a duty rig. I don't want to carry a knife, flash lite , multi tool, spare knife ETC. All of a sudden I look like a mall ninja going out for a gallon of milk.
    I carry a knife, multi-tool, and a spare mag. The knife and multi-tool get used daily, so I can't leave those off. I've considered leaving off the mag, but I'm not too worried about it. The weight really doesn't bother me much.

I live a couple of miles from Retsupt's Gator pit......Gator World in Orlando. Occasionally they have a mass escape that is not publicized in the media, but poodles, chihuahua's and felines begin mysteriously disappearing all over south Orlando and Kissimmee.

I carry a Glock 19 with 15+1, and two spare mags......not afraid of gang bangers in a group, a zombie apocolypse or a magazine failure.....but am worried about a confrontation with a band of renegade, organized gators looking for revenge. May start carrying an 870 with 00 buck, and an AR in the trunk.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

It's not about round count or covering every contingency.Ever had a floor plate of a mag give out during training?Ever had a follower get stuck?You can't cover down on everything Murphy hands out, but by taking that extra mag with you means one more failure that you have a chance to fix.
    Last edited by CIBMike; July 13th, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    It's not about round count or covering every contingency.Ever had a floor plate of a mag give out during training?Ever had a follower get stuck?You can't cover down on everything Murphy hands out, but by taking that extra mag with you means one more failure that you have a chance to fix.
    None of the above. What if your chambered round is a dud? What of your firing pin breaks, or is broken when you try to fire your first shot. What ifs... murphy works overtime.

A mag is no more likely to fail than any of the other failures listed...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    19 years ago when I bought my first handgun (Gen 2 Glock 19) I liked the fact I had 16 rounds at the ready. I never saw the need as a civilian to carry spare magazines. I'm not in law enforcement; why would I ever need more than 16 rounds. I get it that 1911 style and single stack pistol CCers need extra mags. My attitude was if I needed more then 16 rounds, I wasn't in a defensive situation. I was in a gun battle. I just don't foresee myself in a gun battle. I didn't want the extra weight and loss of comfort.

Lately I have been thinking about it more and have decided to give it a try. Not much different except the first time I sat down in my recliner I pinched the heck out of my spare tire with the magazine. OUCH!
    I gave in myself (somewhat) just a few short years ago due to two things.
    #1 forum member suggestions
    #2 magazine exploded on me during a match (my reload mag bottom gave out)
    I do make it a point more often than not to carry a spare mag for my carry. I'm still not 100% on this since I frequently carry other options as well. Knife, OC spray, cell phone, keys, etc........ Pockets get full, belt gets full, I get full and it hurts. Spare tire......yeah. Good reminder that maybe I should do it more often.
    If I were around gators every day, I surely would. Anyone ever had deep fried gator tail meat? I have and I liked it.......like it a lot!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    None of the above. What if your chambered round is a dud? What of your firing pin breaks, or is broken when you try to fire your first shot. What ifs... murphy works overtime.

The thing is, a magazine failure is one of the few mechanical failures that CAN be fixed quickly and easily - provided you HAVE a spare. Not very many folks are going to suggest we should carry spare parts for all of the internals that COULD fail.

Is the weight/size of a magazine so overwhelming or inconvenient that it just isn't worth it to carry the solution to at least SOME of the problems that COULD occur? Every one is going to answer yes or no to that question based on their individual circumstances. Fate, destiny or Mr. Murphy, do not get a vote.

More than likely I will NEVER need my firearm. It is even less likely that I will need my spare magazine. But, it sure would be terrible if I ever DID need it, but was too over confident or lazy to carry it with me.

We should all be realistic in what we carry with us daily. Personally, I chuckle over the threads about folks that carry 15 knives stashed around their bodies. But that is THEIR decision and is none of my business. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else carries on a daily basis. I am not responsible for them, only me and mine.
    CIBMike, ksholder and Ogre like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I use my knife and light regularly so they're staying. I worked with a bodyguard once who was taught the first mag was to get their heads down, 2nd was to get to cover/vehicle, 3rd to escape. I realize that sounds like spray and pray, but it's something to think about; especially depending on your surroundings.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have to say I don't like carrying the extra mag! The mag hits my car door well every time I enter my car and it pinches my fat when I sit and it's always uncomfortable in my car. My gun fits just fine.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The pinch does hurt. Carrying a spare mag is as much for mag failure as it is for extra round count. Glad you decided to do it....
    Exactly what I was going to say

...but it is one that is by comarison easy to fix if you have it.I have had a mag come apart on me twice in training.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Carry whatever you feel you need to carry, . . . or don't carry whatever you feel you don't need to carry. The only one you need to explain it to is your survivors.
    Chief1297 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    When was the last time one failed on you?
    Last year at a TDI training weekend. I was shooting a timed event and the gun stopped. I did a tap-rack and that did not fix the issue. I swapped mags and finished. The instructors and I looked at the offending mag and it took a good bit of effort, and tools, to fix it. That mag went in the trash, not the range bag, but the trash My confidence in that weapon was shaken and it rotated out of carry status shortly after that weekend.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Carry whatever you feel you need to carry, . . . or don't carry whatever you feel you don't need to carry. The only one you need to explain it to is your survivors.
    Not only did I "like" this comment, I thought it should be stated again. hear, hear...
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Self righteous!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links