I've Finally Given In!

This is a discussion on I've Finally Given In! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 19 years ago when I bought my first handgun (Gen 2 Glock 19) I liked the fact I had 16 rounds at the ready. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: I've Finally Given In!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

I've Finally Given In!

19 years ago when I bought my first handgun (Gen 2 Glock 19) I liked the fact I had 16 rounds at the ready. I never saw the need as a civilian to carry spare magazines. I'm not in law enforcement; why would I ever need more than 16 rounds. I get it that 1911 style and single stack pistol CCers need extra mags. My attitude was if I needed more then 16 rounds, I wasn't in a defensive situation. I was in a gun battle. I just don't foresee myself in a gun battle. I didn't want the extra weight and loss of comfort.

Lately I have been thinking about it more and have decided to give it a try. Not much different except the first time I sat down in my recliner I pinched the heck out of my spare tire with the magazine. OUCH!
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

The pinch does hurt. Carrying a spare mag is as much for mag failure as it is for extra round count. Glad you decided to do it....
    Guest1, WHEC724 and tcox4freedom like this.

Not for me.... The handgun is designed to get you to your rifle... the rifle is designed to get you to your howitzer...

the extra mag is a "gateway drug" to needing a BUG... to needing a BBUG... to becoming gecko.... slippery slope and all that...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    Seriously, my spare mag isn't because I think I'll need the extra ammo. They do fail, and mine get a lot of use.
    BugDude and accessbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The pinch does hurt. Carrying a spare mag is as much for mag failure as it is for extra round count. Glad you decided to do it....
    That is why I decided to go with it. Now I need a good Mag Holder for my P238. Any Ideas,
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I alternate between a spare mag for my 1911, and a BUG. Not typically the same equipment twice in a row. Nor do I always carry either spare mag or BUG.

Not that I typically think I need or will need a spare/backup, just that it's a little more comforting sometimes.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

My new holster I ordered for my 1911 was also accompanied by a double Mag holster. Besides that I have a remora for my double stacks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Seriously, my spare mag isn't because I think I'll need the extra ammo. They do fail, and mine get a lot of use.
    When was the last time one failed on you?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    that the reason I went to the LC9 for summer. spare mag is small ( why are they so expensive?) just in case of failure.

Not many problems with the glock but I would hate to have a problem when you need it most. So I got the spare mag with me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    When was the last time one failed on you?
    Touche. Never. But I've never needed to shoot anyone yet either. That doesn't mean that I'll stop carrying.

I won't stop carrying either.... but then, what if the first round is a squib... or a complete dud... Too many what if's... then there we are ... on that slippery slope....

If I'm carrying, and it's my time... it doesn't matter if I have one shot or a million... it's my time...
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

I've come to the realization that I'll get shot trying to decide which gun to grab... so I just open carry a .380 un-chambered, safety on, magazine in my right front pocket, ammo in my right rear pocket, BUG .22 in my underwear, magazine in my left front pocket, ammo in my left rear pocket.

There, that should get the thread to at least 8 pages of material.

As far as the extra magazine goes, I don't - but see nothing wrong with doing so - I just have too much other stuff to carry and don't feel like adding more to my belt, I live on the edge, I know.

Yeah, I just don't want to be be the guy with everything but a duty rig. I don't want to carry a knife, flash lite , multi tool, spare knife ETC. All of a sudden I look like a mall ninja going out for a gallon of milk.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I won't stop carrying either.... but then, what if the first round is a squib... or a complete dud... Too many what if's... then there we are ... on that slippery slope....

If I'm carrying, and it's my time... it doesn't matter if I have one shot or a million... it's my time...
    This is me. (j/k)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I've come to the realization that I'll get shot trying to decide which gun to grab... so I just open carry un-chambered, safety on, magazine in my right front pocket, ammo in my right rear pocket, BUG in my underwear.

There, that should get the thread to at least 8 pages of material.
    Not me... nosirreee! I carry concealed: I learned it in school!

GearmanTX, 9mmHP and blitzburgh like this.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links