Traveling through a border patrol checkpoint

This is a discussion on Traveling through a border patrol checkpoint within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, Tomorrow I am going down the the McAllen, TX area near the border. On the way back I will have to stop at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Traveling through a border patrol checkpoint

Traveling through a border patrol checkpoint

Hey all,

Tomorrow I am going down the the McAllen, TX area near the border. On the way back I will have to stop at a border patrol checkpoint, even though I am not crossing the border. Last time they asked me the usual questions about what I was doing and all that. But I wasn't carrying as I didn't have my CHL yet. Now I do. Should I let the agent know I have a CHL and i'm carrying? Has anyone been through such a checkpoint with any issues? I am not sure why i'm nervous about this. Mabye I'm being paranoid.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Are you required to inform in your state? If not, I wouldn't say a word.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Thanks for the advice. It is not required. Although I hear it's a good idea to inform an officer if I were to get pulled over as a courtesy. But this is a border patrol agent. it's kind of spooky to go through these check points. They bring out the dogs to sniff your car our and put mirrors under your car while they are staring at you with questions. :)

Yeah, well... I'd be inclined to inform... even if not required.... and let's see... they got dogs, and mirrors and gunzes? yeah.. as long as I'm legal, I'd be informing.... But, that's just me.... see, I'd hate for em to go beyond the asking benign questions to asking me to step out of the car....
    357and40 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

PB2
    I go through BP checkpoints on a regular basis since the wife is from southern NM and we go back to visit about every other month. They usually just ask if we're both citizens, we say yes, and we move on. Sometimes I don't even get the car to a full stop. I've never bothered to inform them I'm carrying. Two things to keep in mind though. First, if they asked me to pull off to the side and get out of the car I would inform them. Second, in NM it is not a requirement to inform law enforcement.

In TX only duty to inform to TX peace officers or TX magistrate. BP is not a TX peace officer. It's a fed leo.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Thanks for the advice. It is not required. Although I hear it's a good idea to inform an officer if I were to get pulled over as a courtesy. But this is a border patrol agent.
    Exactly, in a typical traffic stop I would always inform the officer, even tho I'm not required. Border patrol... well that's a different story ;)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I pass through border patrol checkpoints all the time and the only question that I have ever been asked has been "is everyone in the car a u.s. citizen?"

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    I go through BP checkpoints on a regular basis since the wife is from southern NM and we go back to visit about every other month. They usually just ask if we're both citizens, we say yes, and we move on. Sometimes I don't even get the car to a full stop. I've never bothered to inform them I'm carrying. Two things to keep in mind though. First, if they asked me to pull off to the side and get out of the car I would inform them. Second, in NM it is not a requirement to inform law enforcement.
    Sometimes, when I visit my brother Spike, in Needles... (nevermind... obscure Charlie Brown reference, in response to the Tumbleweed Gulch residence)

In a "rolling stop" like this I wouldn't be saying "Yes sir, oh by the way, I'm a permitted carrier... (or whatever)" I'd just roll along.... but if stopped... then yeah, I'd inform...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Have just retired from the BP, I feel somewhat qualified to answer.

Unless you are sent to secondary inspection or asked I would not worry about it. If they ask for your DL, just show them your CC license at the same time. Sometimes you run into a jerk and they make your life miserable. If you are smuggling dope or aliens thru the checkpoint armed it could get ugly.
    JDE101, Pistology, RSV and 3 others like this.

I have gone through that checkpoint before while carrying. They didn't ask for my ID and I did not inform...

I was stopped at one on I-10 coming out of El Paso last year. I was driving an SUV with New Mexico temp tags hauling a travel trailer with Texas tags. I informed. He asked if we were all citizens and what was I carrying. I told him yes and a Sig P220. He complimented my taste and wished us a safe trip. Some times it is just that easy.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Just hide the illegals and marijuana in the trunk and you'll be fine.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I suggest not to notify Patrol Agents unless they secondary you and ask you to get out of your vehicle.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Great responses from everyone. I appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links