Holster showing while CCing

This is a discussion on Holster showing while CCing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sure this has been discussed in the past but I'm on the road a lot and can't get by here as much as I would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Holster showing while CCing

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

Sure this has been discussed in the past but I'm on the road a lot and can't get by here as much as I would like......If you're in a state that requires your weapon to be concealed (like SC) and your holster happens to show from the bottom of your shirt (not the gun), what's your thoughts on that? Some folks wear a fanny pack and you can see that so what about a holster? Just curious what you think:)
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    It does not matter what we think. It only matters what the authorities in that particular jurisdiction think.

However, in general, an "accidental" exposure of a holster is not something most would worry about. Just my 2 cents worth.
    sgb, DaveH and Ram Rod like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Some states are very strict... any part showing is considered open carry.

Some states are very open... I've been told in Louisiana that 'any' part of the gun covered means it's concealed, so having it hanging by a string means that part of it is covered = concealed.

Know the state you're in and how they handle it.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Get a longer shirt?
    Brad426 likes this.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

So its a concealed holster law? I know, I know. I'm being difficult.

Michael

A wardrobe malfunction, eh? I go to great lengths (at least 4.02" anyway) to make sure my barrel is completely covered at all times in public. I just learned today on a local news site in mathematical terms what I already knew which is that I live in the least gun-friendly city in North Carolina. Our county was 100th out of 100 in percentage of residents who hold CCP's. No surprise there. Many of the women here would faint if they saw somebody with part of a gun barrel poking through in public. I don't take that as a reason not to carry, but I sure do take it as a reason to carry discreetly.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I'm guessing at least 95% of us have exposed part of our firearm/holster in the past. Typically it's when I'm shopping and reaching for something on the top shelf, no one has ever noticed. It doesn't bother me at all because open carry is legal here regardless. But I'm sure IF somehow an LEO saw it, he would (hopefully) be understandable about it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

There was a guy in FL who was arrested for OC because his holster was showing (about 1 inch), and he was printing. The jury found him guilty of OC, even though the FL law allows for a temporary exposure of your gun. Now he has a misdemeanor weapons offence, and will likely lose his permit.

I'm not sure if he plans to appeal.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    There was a guy in FL who was arrested for OC because his holster was showing (about 1 inch), and he was printing. The jury found him guilty of OC, even though the FL law allows for a temporary exposure of your gun. Now he has a misdemeanor weapons offence, and will likely lose his permit.

I'm not sure about FL law, but can't you get your permit again 5 years after you get a misdemeanor?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post

Got a link to the story or the case?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Get another type holster. IWB will keep it all from showing.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Sure this has been discussed in the past but I'm on the road a lot and can't get by here as much as I would like......If you're in a state that requires your weapon to be concealed (like SC) and your holster happens to show from the bottom of your shirt (not the gun), what's your thoughts on that? Some folks wear a fanny pack and you can see that so what about a holster? Just curious what you think:)
    A holster is not a gun. A bit of exposed holster doesn't mean you didn't lock the gun in your car. I actually saw a guy recently with enough holster exposed to reveal some very nice tooling, but I don't know if his gun was there or not. ¿Comprende?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    A holster is not a gun. A bit of exposed holster doesn't mean you didn't lock the gun in your car. I actually saw a guy recently with enough holster exposed to reveal some very nice tooling, but I don't know if his gun was there or not. ¿Comprende?
    This is what I was thinking when I made my response earlier. Surly I can't be the only one that removes his handgun but leaves his holster on when entering a restricted building?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Have to be an awfully picky LEO to really do anything to you, but just get a longer shirt - won't have to think about it.

It could be the bottom end of a Leatherman case attached to the belt. If only the end is seen.

I carry IWB so at least the lower part is not going to be seen. I just worry about the end of the grip making a little bump in my shirt and hope that the shirt is loose enough to avoid that.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links