Georgia Aquarium Denied

This is a discussion on Georgia Aquarium Denied within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHYDAH This thread reminded me to check to see if my state (virginia) had reciprocity with Georgia. Strangely, it doesn't. Odd. You'd ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Georgia Aquarium Denied

Quote Originally Posted by WHYDAH View Post
    This thread reminded me to check to see if my state (virginia) had reciprocity with Georgia. Strangely, it doesn't. Odd.
    You'd be a good candidate for a PA or FL non-res permit.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Take up scuba diving. Ocean doesn't charge a cover to get in and the fish don't care if you carry.
    The fish I'm looking for do......

I would not & WILL NOT go there,,,,
    "If my Legal Self, Legal Handgun and Legal Permit are not welcome,
    then my Legal Tender is also not welcome."
    scgunlover1, smolck and accessbob like this.

Same thing happened to me...

This posting resonated with me because the same thing happened to me last summer at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. I was in Atlanta for a few days and carrying a small snubby on my Florida permit. My extended family and I went to the Georgia Aquarium and I hadn't even thought about whether carry was permitted there. We parked in the big parking garage and hiked a ways to the front entrance. As soon as I saw them wanding people going in, I knew I had a problem. I went over to the security office nearby and asked the person there if they would check my gun in a locker while I went through the aquarium. He said they had lockers but for LEOs only, not civilian carriers like me.

So I hiked back to the car and locked the gun in the trunk, which took about 10 or 15 minutes round trip. My family went ahead into the aquarium, and I caught up with them using cell phones. Ironically, when I went back inside without the gun I was not wanded for some reason, so I could have been armed but wasn't. The wanding is evidently on again, off again at random. The second time through I did see a "no guns" sign by the door. In thinking about it later I realized the damage to the giant fish tanks that could have been done by a stray bullet, so I could see their point.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

If it is so darn safe there according to the supervisor you talked to you should have asked them why the big security and the searching of bags and the wands?
    smolck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    He said they had lockers but for LEOs only, not civilian carriers like me.
    This is utter BS. I am a HUGE proponent of LEO's and appreciate them more than most for risking their lives to keep our world civilized. But their lives are no more important than mine. If they have lockers for LEO's, they should provide them for civilians, seems like a perfectly reasonable idea to me.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    The fish I'm looking for do......

Nice Jibby
    mano3 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I can not understand why they would force an LEO to disarm... That is crass.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I would assume for the same reason that they force legal carriers to disarm, too.

HKR
    I would not & WILL NOT go there,,,,
    "If my Legal Self, Legal Handgun and Legal Permit are not welcome,
    then my Legal Tender is also not welcome."

I try to hold to that same idea, but find that exceptions sometimes must be made.
    Lot's of educational attractions such as the aquarium and many museums do not like carry and I don't believe it's fair for my kid not to experience some things because of an anti gun policy.

I would love to take my family to your scenic state Bullet1234, but it seems I'll have to wait until South Carolina's politicians decide to rethink the reciprocity policy. Georgians have had high hopes the last few years, maybe next year it'll happen.

As for the Georgia Aquarium, it's really not very impressive. The design lends itself to being a real pain in the butt once it gets crowded. Anyone who goes should be there when they open, during the middle of the week if possible, and try to see everything by lunch or else you might not see everything.

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Fishing poles! Can you imagine some good ol' boy fishing at the aquarium?!

As for firearms, a stray bullet in there could cause a lot of trouble... Water and sharks everywhere!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by WHYDAH View Post
    This thread reminded me to check to see if my state (virginia) had reciprocity with Georgia. Strangely, it doesn't. Odd.
    Georgia recognizes the permit/license/etc of any state that recognizes it's Weapons License. Does Virginia require some sort of training? Some states, such as South Carolina from my post above, don't recognize the permit/license/etc of states that don't require any training.

The Aquarium may be owned by the City of Atlanta, is it? Is the building one in which carry would normally be restricted? If not, does Georgia have state preemption of local law?

If you use "damage that could be caused by a stray bullet" to justify disarming the public, then you can justify disarming the public in any area where the public has access.

That's a silly excuse.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    The Aquarium may be owned by the City of Atlanta, is it? Is the building one in which carry would normally be restricted? If not, does Georgia have state preemption of local law?
    Georgia has preemption, but the Aquarium is private property, so they can ask anyone to leave for any reason they wish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links