BIG Help: Wear Your Belt With Gun Where It's Supposed To be Worn:

This is a discussion on BIG Help: Wear Your Belt With Gun Where It's Supposed To be Worn: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FYI: Perhaps this is old news and you already do it. If Not: First, I'm fairly thin so keep that in mind. But instead of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: BIG Help: Wear Your Belt With Gun Where It's Supposed To be Worn:

FYI:

Perhaps this is old news and you already do it. If Not: First, I'm fairly thin so keep that in mind.

But instead of the way I always used the gun belt - and I see most do at the range - which is wear the gun and belt low somewhere near the hip/lower abdominal area: instead, wear your gunbelt were tailors and clothes makers (and anatomy) say your waist really is: just under the belly button and around the body on that level. I've been wearing it up there lately, conceals the gun better and keeps the belt/gun steadier. When I draw at the range, it's much easier: the holster and belt don't pull up when I pull the gun up. Gun comes out of holster fast and clean. As well, I can conceal under an open vest a full-size gun without the holster end showing. Finally, I walk a lot. Gun/holster used to bounce up and down matching my stride. No more, they stay in place.

Try it, may work well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    FYI:

just under the belly button and around the body on that level.
    ^^^ Gutless ^^^^

And I mean that quite literally. If you're shaped like me... the best place to carry is anywhere where you can actually reach ;)
    mjb65, Ransom, catt101 and 6 others like this.

Administrator
    Keep it on topic. This is not posted in the Off Topic & Humor area and it's not an Internet chat line.
    There have been two post deletes in this thread already and really there should be three.

There must be a Full Moon tonight.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well, I wear mine just about where you have stated, but age brings it up some. In a few more years it'll be a sholder holster!
    ppkheat likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The height you wear your CCW, belt/holster/gun/mag carrier at will be dependent on the cut of your pants; modern, lower rise pants will force you to wear your gear at that level. Classic wardrobe will allow you to wear your carry accruements closer to the level you describe. Body type and shape will also play a part.
    walleye likes this.

The thread title is confusing , where =/= wear

Now to the subject at hand, I have proportionally long arms and wearing my weapon that high means putting my shoulder in a bind during the draw

VIP Member
    Mine usually rides about 1-2 inches below the top of the hip bone. Have carried like this for years, it's what works for me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    ^^^ Gutless ^^^^

And I mean that quite literally. If you're shaped like me... the best place to carry is anywhere where you can actually reach ;)
    There is some truth to this . . . having ripped up my rotator cuff years ago, there are have been a few times that where I had the gun made it downright painful to draw!

Also, I'm 5'8" and 194#. The potbelly and weight of everything is such that even though the belt is cinched tight at the "real waist" level, eventually it droops down in front to the lower part of the pot belly. To date I've refused to wear suspenders (hate the "old man look") but admit that they would be a big help in keeping the belt where it belongs.

Shape has everything to do with what really works.
    NRA Instructor

Yeah, that's great advice for a beanpole. I happen to have a bit of what's known in the vernacular as the "middle-age spread" and my belt won't stay where you suggest for two seconds, unless I tighten it to where I can't breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Yeah, that's great advice for a beanpole. I happen to have a bit of what's known in the vernacular as the "middle-age spread" and my belt won't stay where you suggest for two seconds, unless I tighten it to where I can't breathe.
    I suffer the same. Have actually been considering a "crossdraw" holster as a solution. Maybe even a shoulder holster. May borrow one to try. Then again, perhaps a "Wilderness Safe Packer".

Per The Title Of Your Thread..

Per Walleye..

"BIG Help: Where Your Belt With Gun Where It's Supposed To be Worn:"
    "Where's my belt and gun?"

Right now my belt is hanging up in the closet, while my gun is in the safe.

FireStar M40

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    The thread title is confusing , where =/= wear

Now to the subject at hand, I have proportionally long arms and wearing my weapon that high means putting my shoulder in a bind during the draw

Thanks for pointing that out: SHOULD BE "WEAR"not "WHERE" in the title. What a dumbo! But there's no edit function under my post to change it - so I asked an administrator to change it. Hope he will

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    There is some truth to this . . . having ripped up my rotator cuff years ago, there are have been a few times that where I had the gun made it downright painful to draw!

Also, I'm 5'8" and 194#. The potbelly and weight of everything is such that even though the belt is cinched tight at the "real waist" level, eventually it droops down in front to the lower part of the pot belly. To date I've refused to wear suspenders (hate the "old man look") but admit that they would be a big help in keeping the belt where it belongs.

Shape has everything to do with what really works.
    Yes, that's true.

Distinguished Member
    I'd have to undergo a sex change to wear my pants any higher than my hips without crushing the boys, and it'd take a pretty long belt to wrap around the spare tire. And the printing. Oh God, the printing!!!

Also, like LenS, I have torn my strong-side rotator cuff, so trying to draw from higher than hip level can be an uncomfortable endeavor.

The bottom line is that everyone has a manner/position that works best for them. For someone with your particular build and clothing style, the navel-level carry may work just fine. For those with the opposite of both (like me), not so much. Long story short, my belt is staying right where it is.

That said, I stopped having any problems with shifting or sagging once I invested in a proper double-layer gun belt.
    Last edited by Xader; July 14th, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
    paullie likes this.

Try suspenders along with a belt......
    Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore
    walleye likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links