Colt 1911 Conceal Carry, cocked vs uncocked

This is a discussion on Colt 1911 Conceal Carry, cocked vs uncocked within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you carry your 1911 with the hammer cocked. I have seen the holsters that have the strap between the hammer and the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pocketgroove

Thread: Colt 1911 Conceal Carry, cocked vs uncocked

Colt 1911 Conceal Carry, cocked vs uncocked

How many of you carry your 1911 with the hammer cocked. I have seen the holsters that have the strap between the hammer and the action when carrying the 1911 is in cocked position. The 1911 is a safe firearm for the most part, but it would make me a little nervous to carry one that is cocked. I know it is faster to pull and operate if it is cocked. Just wondering if anyone carries the 1911 in a holster with the hammer already cocked. I would think by the time you released the strap on the holster you could have already manually cocked the hammer.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    How many of you carry your 1911 with the hammer cocked. I have seen the holsters that have the strap between the hammer and the action when carrying the 1911 is in cocked position. The 1911 is a safe firearm for the most part, but it would make me a little nervous to carry one that is cocked. I know it is faster to pull and operate if it is cocked. Just wondering if anyone carries the 1911 in a holster with the hammer already cocked. I would think by the time you released the strap on the holster you could have already manually cocked the hammer.
    Cocked and Locked. It's the only way to carry one. You CANNOT engage the thumb safety with the hammer down/half cocked. It has to be fully cocked in order to engage the safety.

I carry in a 'small' clam-shell holster on my right hip and have never had any problem with the safety being switched off. It's too clumsy and too hard to draw, cock the hammer and fire- versus drawing, thumbing the safety off, and firing.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

+1 cocked and locked. I use either a Galco Concealable belt holster or a Galco King Tuck IWB holster. Neither have a retention strap, but they both have built-in shields on the body side to help lock the thumb safety in the "on" position. Come to think of it, I don't believe I own even a single holster with any sort of retention strap or buckle. Hmmmmm.....
    Big Ray
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

If you can't trust yourself to keep your thumb off the safety and your finger off the trigger...how can you trust that little piece of leather?
    scout706 likes this.

When carrying a 1911, I carry cocked and locked, in an open top holster, there is no need to carry a 1911 any other way.

The firearm is perfectly safer to carry in that manner. It is more dangerous to carry it with the hammer down actually, in part because that requires you to pull the trigger and lower the hammer on a loaded chamber.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    This topic was covered pretty well in this recent thread:

New To Carrying

You can read over the link above, but start with these two sources:

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

Watch this video. It pinpoints exactly why your 1911 is safe to carry "cocked and locked."
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Read over this to supplement the video above: Is Cocked and Locked Dangerous?

You will also find that many of us that carry 1911s do so with open top holsters. The strap isn't just about blocking the firing pin but keeping the gun secure, with a proper fitting holster the strap is largely not needed.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Links