Best Pocket Choice?

This is a discussion on Best Pocket Choice? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recommend the LCP as well if you want an auto, or a J-frame/LCR. I don't have experience with the LCR, but I do own ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Best Pocket Choice?

I recommend the LCP as well if you want an auto, or a J-frame/LCR. I don't have experience with the LCR, but I do own an LCP and a J-frame and now that I have the LCP I find that when I need to go small and light it is my first choice. The main reason I usually grab the LCP is the thinness and I shoot it significantly better than my 442 despite the marginal sights. The j-frame is a bit easier to draw from a pocket for me due to the shape of the grip and because there is no slide that I have to get my hand underneath.
    njr likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Really surprised to see all the votes for the P238. Is everyone carrying them cocked and locked? For years I carried a Colt Mustang Pocketlite that way, but I finally swapped out the Colt for a Kahr P380. Nothing wrong with the Colt, but the Kahr firing system seemed "safer".

I've been working with a Sig P938 for the last few weeks and if you guys are comfortable with C&L pocket carry with the P238, you will love the P938.
    Condition 1 for me. I carry in a pocket holster where the trigger is covered. The most important thing is a good holster. I carry my P938, too, same way. I actually carry both during this season.

I know you're the DB9 expert. That would have easily been my carry gun if mine actually worked.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I agree the Sig P238 is also a good choice. But you have to keep in mind, the LCP is not a "fun at the range" gun, it's designed for self-defense only. If you're looking for a pocket pistol or a BUG the LCP is flawless. If you're looking for something that will be a little easier to shoot more rounds comfortably at the range, the Sig may be a better option.
    Definitely, not a range gun. For some, it doesn't take much to adapt to shooting it. However, you have to put the time into shooting it, if you are not comfortable with it. So though none of these are actually range guns. One must be disciplined enough to shoot at varying distances, strong or weak handed and practice drawing. If a gun is uncomfortable to shoot, it won't be used.

For me, the P238 was a 100 round gun before I got comfortable enough to do controlled pairs at 25 yards. Other guns took much less ammo (my 1911s, Colt Python or S&W 627 Pro and Performance center revolvers) but smaller guns required more time. My P938 wasn't my go to gun until I went over the 450 round mark. I have about 625-650 rounds through it now. My LCR took me 150 rounds because it took a while adjusting to channel sights versus my Tritium sights on my autos.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I'm afraid only you can ultimately decide what works for you as the variety of different opinions here attest to. Basically, you need to figure out first what is the acceptable minimum caliber you will feel confident in. Don't rush this process. Imagine your back to the wall facing someone who wants to cut your guts out and closing fast.

Once caliber is decided, next determine what platform you have the utmost confidence in. Imagine that piece riding around in your pocket for a week or two collecting lint and pocket dirt.

Once you have reduced these things down, it will clear the field of candidates pretty quickly. Then it will be much easier to choose.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Best pocket choice?

right front for me.

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Imagine your back to the wall facing someone who wants to cut your guts out and closing fast.

Once caliber is decided, next determine what platform you have the utmost confidence in. Imagine that piece riding around in your pocket for a week or two collecting lint and pocket dirt.

Once you have reduced these things down, it will clear the field of candidates pretty quickly. Then it will be much easier to choose.
    glockman, me thinks you're leading the witness, so to say!
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

The Kahr is light, small, and is a fun range gun.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

I am very comfortable with my LCR/DeSantis Nemesis/Hornady CD setup. Nice and light, good draw from front pocket, but prints more than a LCP, etc.
    "The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."
    - Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)

LCP .Here's size difference with LC9 I've tried pocket carrying the 9..No thanks.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Imagine your back to the wall facing someone who wants to cut your guts out and closing fast.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Seecamp is def comfy in my pocket

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP, .380. It shoot great and has never given me any trouble. I feel adequately armed when I am just running to the grocery store in our small town if I just have the LCP on me. Now, if we are going down closer to Memphis, I will have the LCP as a BUG in a pocket but I will also have either the Kahr CW9 on or, if we are really down in Memphis, it will be the Glock 23 with the LCP in a pocket.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Memphis is bad?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Memphis is bad?
    TN_Mike can probably give you better info than my little anecdote, but I've driven through and the parts I saw looked post-apocalyptic, I've heard there is a pretty bad gang problem there. From what I saw, I was glad that I did not have to stop for gas yet.

The LCP, TCP, Bodyguard... Again are all good guns.. They are what I call 0-5 guns. You will already be at arms length, being shot at, stabbed, or hit. They don't have good sights for a reason, you will never aim the gun. It's meant to be a point blank shooter, 0-5 yards. The best 0-5 gun can be shot at anytime, with no safety, and no thought, just pull the trigger. Only one gun fits the "real pocket gun" scenario, it can be shot from within the pocket "pants, shirt, jacket" WITHOUT having to even draw...

Say hello to the best pocket gun ever made, the S/W 642

But again if you want an accurate all the time EDC gun for your pocket or even appendix carry the Sig P238 is in a class of its own, there is nothing in its size right now for a small caliber gun on the market IMHO that will preform better.

I can cover it with a T-Shirt and it disappears without printing.

I carry the 642 as my BUG no matter what I'm carrying, and it's always in a special mounted holster in my truck while I'm driving for fast easy deployment incase "stupid" happens.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links