Best Pocket Choice?

This is a discussion on Best Pocket Choice? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First: I have a few full sizes, compact, and subcompact and a snubby. After putting some thought into what I'd really like for my next ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Best Pocket Choice?

Best Pocket Choice?

First: I have a few full sizes, compact, and subcompact and a snubby.

After putting some thought into what I'd really like for my next purchase, I decided I wanted something smaller/same size as my snubby that I can just throw in my gym shorts/shorts pocket and head off with, comfortably.

I've looked and 'felt up' a few .25's, .32's, and .380's... I'm no expert, so I'm just curious as to anybody's reconmendation far as caliber and/or model wise might be.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

S&W 500...

Just Kidding...

I encourage nothing smaller than 38+p or 9mm+p I really like my S&W360 in 357mag...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Ruger LCP. I can't even tell I'm carrying it.

Yes, the .380 is a compromise round but all pocket pistols are a compromise. Other than that I am very happy with my LCP.
    Good self defense ammo is especially important with a marginal self defense caliber. I carry Speer Gold Dot for the .380.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post

After putting some thought into what I'd really like for my next purchase, I decided I wanted something smaller/same size as my snubby that I can just throw in my gym shorts/shorts pocket and head off with, comfortably.
    What doesn't work for you with your existing snub - too heavy? You can get down to about 16 ounces and still have manageable recoil with a .38 +P.

If you need something lighter and/or flatter, the Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP are pretty useful and are probably closer to 12 ounces. Recoil can be pretty snappy, but that's a highly subjective thing. My own "bare minimum" gun is a Kel-Tec .32, which is just a tick smaller than the "big brother" .380, but it's a real eye-socket gun. I should have opted for the .380... but fortunately I rarely have to go that light.

And remember that you need a pocket holster for that pocket gun!
    10thmtn and RichB70 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post

I've looked and 'felt up' a few .25's, .32's, and .380's... I'm no expert, so I'm just curious as to anybody's reconmendation far as caliber and/or model wise might be.

Thanks in advance.
    Sig P238. Great combination of size, weight, accuracy, reliability and ergonomics. I use a wallet holster and it disappears.
    multistage, Foo909 and Ron7624 like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I carry the S&W Airweight and the Sig P238. They each weigh about a pound. The P238 is a little better pocket gun while the .38 + p round is about 2X more powerful. I have laser on each and practice each week with both guns so I can't say one is better than the other, just different. Either one would hurt like hell and do the job.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

It will depend on how big your pockets are and how loose your pants are. Since you have a snubbie already, is the weight or shape the problem? I've got a P11 that I think is too heavy for throwing in a shorts pocket. I'm leaning towards a P32 over a P3AT b/c of recoil, slide lock, and 1 extra round.

I've got a Kahr P380 in my pocket right now.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Love my SIGs. Love my 238. Outstanding pocket gun. Typical SIG, spendy and reliable.
    Foo909, Badey and Ron7624 like this.

RKM
    S&W j-frame. I carry the 442.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    LCP
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

LCP and taurus ultra light .38

My LCP will disapear in any pocket.

The trigger takes some getting used to but with practice is a very accurate pocket pistol.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    My LCP will disapear in any pocket.

The trigger takes some getting used to but with practice is a very accurate pocket pistol.
    Not to mention reliable compared to most other pocket pistols.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I carry a Kel tec p32 in my pocket. I know the .32 is really to small of a round for SD but I got a great deal on it and couldn't pass it up. Reliability has been great and surprisingly accurate for such a small gun. That being said, if you go with a kel tec I would recommend going up to the Kel Tec P3AT in .380

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links