Are You Too Stupid To Conceal Carry? - Page 5

Are You Too Stupid To Conceal Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You Too Stupid To Conceal Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's interesting the comments I get when people see that ring. Young people particularly think it is some kind of cool "secret symbol" or a ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Are You Too Stupid To Conceal Carry?

It's interesting the comments I get when people see that ring. Young people particularly think it is some kind of cool "secret symbol" or a fraternity ring. Makes for some good conversations and opportunities.

So, how do you do you find the time to moderate a gun forum, and run the Vatican? Impressive stuff, Your Holiness.

: )

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    Young people particularly think it is some kind of cool "secret symbol"
    I guess it did start out that way.

So, how do you do you find the time to moderate a gun forum, and run the Vatican? Impressive stuff, Your Holiness.

: )
    Lot's of help from above.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    What surprised me afterwards was the hour of utterly stupid questions from some of the other people in the class. Some of those people were so dumb I was amazed that they could find their way to the class, much less carry a gun. Until that time, I had only really considered the issue of me carrying a weapon. I came away reminded that there are some real armed morons in our midst. Sobering thought.
    More information, please, as you were there and I wasn't. (This is a respectful question; I am in no way trying to get in your face.)

In your estimation and judgement, were these people simply completely ignorant about guns and self-defense, or were they actually low-functioning on the IQ scale?

I ask because in several of the basic CCW classes I have attended or helped instruct (at the range), I have seen very intelligent and very well-educated people asking very basic questions, clearly because they just plain did not know. Admittedly, they could easily have found the answers using a quick Google search, but they were in a class with no computers in the room and they were obviously just thinking about some of the questions they asked for the very first time, so they asked the instructor (or me). When I asked them about their background and knowledge level and reasons for taking the class, they uniformly replied that they knew nothing about CCW and that was why they were taking the class; to start at ground zero and learn their way up the curve as fast as they could, and they thought a class was the best way to do that. Even some of the experienced deer hunters had never contemplated self-defense and CCW (and they asked most of the really good questions).
    ParaSig likes this.

What surprised me afterwards was the hour of utterly stupid questions
    They didn't know, and wanted to find answers.

I thought there was no such thing as a 'stupid question'?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Me?? Look, I didn't just fall off this turnip wagon yesterday.
    It's turnip truck not wagon...are ya stupid???...LOL!!
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Stupid is all relative. Just when you think you've really seen all things stupid, somebody shows you something new.

Let's be careful out there.

Never underestimate stupid people...especially in large numbers.
    FUZZ likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Never underestimate stupid people...especially in large numbers.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Can someone be too dumb to be stupid??
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Hopefully, I'm not too stupid to carry but I know there are some out there. Perhaps "unskilled" or "ignorant" are better word choices than "stupid", and hopefully for everyone concerned, knowledge and skills can improve over time. At my carry class, I watched a student place several hits on the target in the adjacent lane. He still managed to get enough hits on his own paper to qualify for his permit though.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

You Could Be Right...

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Never....I repeat NEVER try to put that in the dishwasher, even on the top shelf!!
    I would think it would hurt like the dickens when you tried to close the dishwasher door. Fortunately I've never tried. I'm not that stupid!

FireStar M40

one of the first things my CCW instructor told us and he mentioned several times during the class is "every bullet has an attorney attached too it."

Ghost tracker, I'm gonna have to call bull on chainsaws not being inherently dangerous.

Also, I am happy and thankful that I have the legal privilege of carrying a firearm. However, I feel that a minimum training standard should absolutely be mandatory, in every state.

I've been to too many ranges and seen too many untrained and uneducated shooters (just in PA) that could, in all likelyhood, go out and buy a permit and a gun and start carrying. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. I'm all for civilians carrying weapons. I just think that they should have to pass two tests. 1 test on laws, ethics, and applicable practices, and another test demonstrating practical proficiency with a firearm. If for no other reason than protecting themselves legally.

What if the middle aged soccer mom on the sidewalk behind you had her purse stolen. She decides this is the perfect time to use the revolver her husband bought her and convinced her to carry to get that bad guy. Since no one taught her that that isn't a situation that warrants deadly force, and no one taught her how to shoot, you caught a stray bullet in the back. Would you want that woman to have some level of training?

I don't think that every single person is incapable of using a firearm effectively and legally, but if we don't make it mandatory for everyone, then those people who aren't can do whatever they feel like. especially if they're 'too stupid to carry'. Too ignorant to carry is a better term. Lets educate first, then let people arm themselves.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 19th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

I think it is up to the states to decide how much training is necessary and proper for a person to wield a handgun on their person. There already is a federally minimum standard.

1) A legal citizen.
    2) Not a felon.
    3) Not an addict or substance abuser.
    4) Mentally sane.

I had a hunters safety course - which is required to hunt in my state. I wouldn't be against a required firearm safety course. It would need to be free of charge, though. Or the fees associated with the permitting process (which is already absurd in GA) could fund it. Again, I think the states can decide on whatever minimums that they like. They pretty much already do, anyways. Just don't forget that us citizens have the right to firearms and self defense. Unlike a privilege system for driving a car. ...In most states, at least.

Edit: I just had a genius idea. Firearms safety could be taught in the public school system. If it weren't for all the uneducated/insane/(insert adjective) anti's, this is where the education could and should start.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    The one thing I disagree with is the notion that if a gun clears a holster it means your going to shoot. This is just not fact, I can't quote specific sources but I've read lots of stories where a would be aggressor suddenly lost his will once his "victim" drew a handgun. I think logically one should be ready to re-index that finger should your attacker break off once the firearm comes into play. I think the pre programmed interlock to drawing and firing could get someone in a lot of trouble. Once the threat is stopped stop using force.

Now of course there are scenarios where a shot must be fired as soon as possible during the draw.
    Very good point. Whole heartedly agree! You're not necessarily firing after you pull that thing. And yes, they might just bolt, or disarm, or back off. I could see being very interested in killing someone under the right conditions, BUT, that doesn't mean I want to everytime I've pulled. Sometimes a show of force gets the point across. You can't just be perfectly automatic in all conditions. You have to think for yourself. You're supposed to be able to make adjustments to a a unique set of circumstances.

D.J.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links