Are You Too Stupid To Conceal Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You Too Stupid To Conceal Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following is an excellent article from today s Keep and Bear Arms. Thought I would pass it along. Are You Too Stupid For Concealed ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Are You Too Stupid To Conceal Carry?

The following is an excellent article from today s Keep and Bear Arms. Thought I would pass it along.

Are You Too Stupid For Concealed Carry?
    Posted on July 12, 2012 by Dan Zimmerman

By Paul McCain
    "Let’s face it, aside from owning the right gun and gear, not everyone is equipped to carry a concealed weapon. With the boom in firearm ownership in recent years, there are a lot of new gun owners. And plenty of first-timers seem to have picked up that first gun as an impulse buy, apparently thinking, “Hey, I’m going to buy me a gun and carry it!” Their friends pack heat so how hard can it really be, right? If you’re too stupid to think through some really important questions before you start carrying, you have no business walking around with a concealed weapon. You need to stop to consider that . . .
    There are legal, ethical, moral and competency implications whenever you strap on a firearm." http://www.keepandbeararms.com

The articles goes on to cover many of the topics we discuss regularly on this board. We may not agree with all of it, but it is an interesting read.
    Last edited by Gaius; July 13th, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Comply with Forum Rules
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I am pretty stupid, but those are some of the reasons I carry selectively. There are places where I could carry but don't for various reasons, some listed above. As always, (a) make your choice, (b) live with the consequences. "I was right" makes a lousy epitaph.

In my case, it depends on who you ask.
    Ram Rod likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    mr.stuart likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The one thing I disagree with is the notion that if a gun clears a holster it means your going to shoot. This is just not fact, I can't quote specific sources but I've read lots of stories where a would be aggressor suddenly lost his will once his "victim" drew a handgun. I think logically one should be ready to re-index that finger should your attacker break off once the firearm comes into play. I think the pre programmed interlock to drawing and firing could get someone in a lot of trouble. Once the threat is stopped stop using force.

Now of course there are scenarios where a shot must be fired as soon as possible during the draw.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Knowing you're too stupid would require some smarts... kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?

I'm just an idiot.......................I carry.
    BenGoodLuck and nerdyvirgin like this.

I see the point of the article, and he touches some important points like firearm safety - and I guess some good pointers for newbies to the shooting world. However, I disagree with a few things.

1) I don't understand the issues with "dealing with law enforcement". Stay legal. End of story. Hopefully the cops aren't "out to get you".
    2) I have plenty of people that I can joke about my guns with.
    3) I have no problem consuming a beer while at dinner or grilling a steak with a gun on my hip. It's perfectly legal in my state. If I'm fine to drive a deadly hunk of metal with wheels, I think the pistol in my holster is OK. I'd rather not disarm and give up my right to self defense over nothing.
    4) I don't need any formal training to carry. I never have had any, and I'm not sure that I will get some. Sure, it would be nice - and I'm sure beneficial. However, I don't see this as a requirement...

Other than that stuff, there are some good points that were made.
    Eichorn, Yankeejib, W9HDG and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    The one thing I disagree with is the notion that if a gun clears a holster it means your going to shoot. This is just not fact, I can't quote specific sources but I've read lots of stories where a would be aggressor suddenly lost his will once his "victim" drew a handgun. I think logically one should be ready to re-index that finger should your attacker break off once the firearm comes into play. I think the pre programmed interlock to drawing and firing could get someone in a lot of trouble. Once the threat is stopped stop using force.

Now of course there are scenarios where a shot must be fired as soon as possible during the draw.
    You almost contradict yourself, but, I agree and like what you are saying. When the firearm clears the holster the intent must be to shoot. This has to be recognized by the aggressor as a serious move or it is of no use and the attack will continue. As you say, if the aggressor sees the defense by a firearm and takes it seriously most likely he will break off the attack and leave quickly at which point you reevaluate the situation. If not then you must continue to stop the threat of grievous bodily harm or death.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Well now....lemme see here. I don't figger I'm too stupid....maybe just plain stupid.....that means I think I'm less stupid than the really stupid. Smarter than average stupid if you will.

Government dictates that all of us are stupid or mandates that we become so if we're already not. If I am smarter than average stupid that just means I'm less stupid, too stupid would be way more stupid than average stupid more or less. Wait a minute....wait a minute........I aint no good at English, I'm gonna have to figure it out on paper and get back to you on this.
    Never shot myself. If that aint smarter than stupid I don't know what is.

Nice read.

Happy Friday the 13th!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I see the point of the article, and he touches some important points like firearm safety - and I guess some good pointers for newbies to the shooting world. However, I disagree with a few things.

1) I don't understand the issues with "dealing with law enforcement". Stay legal. End of story. Hopefully the cops aren't "out to get you".
    2) I have plenty of people that I can joke about my guns with.
    3) I have no problem consuming a beer while at dinner or grilling a steak with a gun on my hip. It's perfectly legal in my state. If I'm fine to drive a deadly hunk of metal with wheels, I think the pistol in my holster is OK. I'd rather not disarm and give up my right to self defense over nothing.
    4) I don't need any formal training to carry. I never have had any, and I'm not sure that I will get some. Sure, it would be nice - and I'm sure beneficial. However, I don't see this as a requirement...

Other than that stuff, there are some good points that were made.
    1. Yes the cops and DAs ARE out to get you in lots of parts of the US. Not everywhere but many places . . . look at the FL Zimmerman case as a "gunshine state" example. Therefore you do need to know how to deal with it. It's actually part of the NRA Personal Protection In/Outside the Home courses that I teach.

3. I agree. Many are paranoid about it however.

4. Formal training is very useful and something we should seek out. I'm against gov't mandated training however (which is the case in my state).
    NRA Instructor

Me?? Look, I didn't just fall off this turnip wagon yesterday.

Could taking tactical training not be used against you by an unfriendly prosecutor as a demonstration of your intent to kill? Same as using hand loaded "dum dum" bullets or having your weapon tricked out by a trigger job and combat sights. Just a thought. I'm not in opposition to any of those things, personally. But in some parts of the country, actually preparing yourself could be your undoing in court. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post

I think the intent of that statement was "don't draw unless you're prepared to fire", not that if you draw you have to fire.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    BenGoodLuck, LenS and Doodle like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Are You Too Stupid For Concealed Carry? NO
    I don't pick fights carrying or not never did. Don't mean I won't stand my ground when face with no options.
    Could I shoot someone. If no other option is presented Yes and it would not be a first.
    I have not nor would I ever go out and try to create conflict with LEO's, however they feel it is there right to force one with people like me often.
    I carry both CC and open carry not because I want to. I do it because many years of a system that refuse to up hold the law has forced me to.
    Give me a country back where I can leave my guns at home, how great it would be for the only concern when buying an new fire arm is how I would use it Hunting and never give a though to defending my Family or myself.
    I would not draw it if I was not ready and forced to use it, if by drawing it and raising the level of force the BG offers the option of not firing I would call that a great out come.
    If the BG chose not to retreat I would call that suicide.
    Many spend so much time worrying about those of us that carry when the real concern should be those that have forced this on us.
    Azchief likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links