Air Travel This Week

This is a discussion on Air Travel This Week within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, Okay - so I've done my homework here. I'll be traveling from Florida to Maine this week. I've got my Florida and Maine ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kapnketel
  • 1 Post By gdm320

Thread: Air Travel This Week

Air Travel This Week

Hello All,

Okay - so I've done my homework here. I'll be traveling from Florida to Maine this week. I've got my Florida and Maine permits (which will have me covered as I fly in and out through Manchester, NH) so I'm legal all around on that front. I've read the TSA information on flying with firearms and checked with my airline to make sure I'm good on their particular policies.

I'm going to be using my GunVault MicroVault 500 as my transport container. I have contacted GunVault and they have informed me that it is TSA compliant. Other searches on the internet (admittedly from random folks, not the manufacturer) say that it is not. GunVault recommended I contact the airline for final approval but of course they don't keep records of which models are approved... just that it must meet all the requirements at check-in.

So question time: has anyone personally traveled via airline with the GunVault MicroVault 500? Any issues at all? I can't afford a debacle at check-in so I want to be sure.

I appreciate everyone's input.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

Does it lock so TSA cannot open it?
    If so, you are good to go.
    Can you secure it to your suitcase so the vault itself cannot "walk?"
    If you can, you have a winner.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Does it lock so TSA cannot open it?
    If so, you are good to go.
    Can you secure it to your suitcase so the vault itself cannot "walk?"
    If you can, you have a winner.
    Yes, it locks so the TSA cannot open it without either the combination or the key. Seems to pass that test fine.
    Yes, it secures to the frame of the suitcase with a steel cable. Seems to pass there too.

Just got paranoid from the few places that said "No, it is not TSA compliant" without explaining why it doesn't. Ya know?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I flew Charlotte to Phoenix in march with a Ruger Mkiii in the Ruger plastic box and a luggage lock. No problem so surely the micro vault would be acceptable. I even got special attention from tsa at Phoenix on the easy home with very little interest or comment about the gun.

I flew from Denver to Los Angeles last Monday with an empty GunVault case, with no problem from TSA. The agent at the counter didn't check it out, nor did TSA call me to open the case. My suitcase does have a TSA lock on it and it appeared to have been opened, but there was no tag inside that indicated they had. Tomorrow I fly back to Denver with a weapon in the case...I'll let you know how it goes.

I would surely think that it is TSA compliant but to be honest, you never know how those jackasses will handle anything these days.

I flew to Vegas for training in mid-May. I took with me the CW9 and the LCP. Both were unloaded and locked inside a plastic hard case, with 2 small locks that secured the case shut. Both flying to Vegas and back from Vegas the TSA wanted me to open the case to inspect the contents. However, when I got home from the trip, I did notice that the suitcase had obviously been opened and gone through at some point after they closed it in my presence in Vegas. The case was not in the same location and some other contents of the suitcase had been moved around. This particular suitcase was packed pretty tight so it wasn't because of a rough ride. It was obvious the suitcase had been searched. There was also, upon further inspection a note from the TSA on official letter head that told me the bag had been searched and the contents returned.

I would say, call the TSA and see if there is a list of approved cases. I don't think there is. Their website just says the case has to lock, be hard sided and not able to be pried open. I would think your Gunvault should meet the requirements.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I would say, call the TSA and see if there is a list of approved cases. I don't think there is. Their website just says the case has to lock, be hard sided and not able to be pried open. I would think your Gunvault should meet the requirements.
    Use this to your advantage. Nothing says that you need to put your guns in a case inside of another case that they have access to.
    Link: Packing & the Friendly Skies

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I travel regularly with a very similar safe, Gunvault nano. No problems with TSA or airlines.
    GH likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Well I have returned from my travels and figured I'd report on the experience in case anyone has the same question with the MicroVault in the future.

No issues at all, it appears that the "random" information from elsewhere on the vast internet was inaccurate. The airlines and TSA had no issues with the GunVault MicroVault. As I left Palm Beach International the agent requested to see the weapon to verify that it was unloaded and the ammunition was properly packaged. She didn't seem at all perturbed by the fact that I was declaring a firearm.

No issues in Manchester, New Hampshire either. In fact on the return trip I asked if the agent would like to verify the weapon was unloaded and the ammunition was packaged properly and she declined.

The TSA did search the bag on both legs of the trip, as I expected.
    GH likes this.

GH
    Well that's certainly good news. Although I don't plan on flying anytime in the near future I've noted the type of safe mentioned on this thread that passed TSA inspection. Thanks, guys for the info & gdm320 for the update.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Just returned from PR, I had my 27 in the plastic glock case w/the cable gun lock that comes with it.

No problems
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

What about extra time at airport? Check-in, then normal security, right? And if they want something they call you at terminal?

Traveling with the family from CO to FL later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ping.brady View Post
    What about extra time at airport? Check-in, then normal security, right? And if they want something they call you at terminal?

Traveling with the family from CO to FL later this year.
    I didn't take much extra time at all actually. Added maybe 5 minutes. We were flying Southwest and had to check bags anyway (I usually travel light but my wife sure doesn't and we had the baby with us so lots of extra crap). They just took a quick peek at the check-in desk. I never had an issue where they had to get hold of me at the terminal, but they did explain that is what they would do if there was a problem.

Links