1) Objectively, What Is Greatest Danger In Your Life? 2) Rank Carry In Importance:

1) Objectively, What Is Greatest Danger In Your Life? 2) Rank Carry In Importance:

This is a discussion on 1) Objectively, What Is Greatest Danger In Your Life? 2) Rank Carry In Importance: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING/POSTING This poll's goal is to see if there is a correlation between objective danger and the importance we give CCW in ...

View Poll Results: Most Objective Danger in My Life/CCW Importance

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Greatest Obective Danger Objectively is PERSONAL CRIME Involving Possible Injury/Death

36 20.81%
  • My Greatest Danger Objectively is HEALTH REALTED

69 39.88%
  • My Greatest Danger Objectively is FIRE

4 2.31%
  • My Greatest Danger Objectively is NARURAL CATASTROPHE

5 2.89%
  • My Greatest Danger is Objectively -- OTHER

48 27.75%
  • CCW is the PRIMARY INTEREST in my Life

9 5.20%
  • CCW is Not Primary But IMPORTANT

121 69.94%
  • CCW Is MARGINALLY IMPORTANT OR NOT AT ALL

14 8.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 1) Objectively, What Is Greatest Danger In Your Life? 2) Rank Carry In Importance:

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING/POSTING

This poll's goal is to see if there is a correlation between objective danger and the importance we give CCW in our lives. I.e, do they equate, or is interest in Carry out of proportion or in proportion to actual circumstances of danger. I have no great objective except curiosity.

*An Important NOTE: FOR THE QUESTION OF CCW BEING "THE MOST IMPORTANT INTEREST IN YOUR LIFE" THIS PRESUPPOSES THAT FAMILY AND LOVED ONES ARE FIRST. SO IT WOULD BE "OUTSIDE OF THAT" - AS UNDERSTOOD.

*SECOND NOTE: VOTE ONCE ON EACH QUESTION - you'd have 2 votes therefore:

........1) WHAT IS GREAtest DANGER OBJECTIVELY IN MY LIFE?
    ........2)WHAT IS MY INTEREST IN CCW?

*And LAST Note: I neglected to include Car Accidents, an important danger. Can't edit the questions, but there is an "OTHER" category - which could include "CAR ACCIDENTS"

Thanks
    Last edited by walleye; July 15th, 2012 at 06:55 AM.

Idiot drivers
    walleye, mprp, ponchsox and 4 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

At my age, although I'm not particularly concerned about it, health issues pose the greatest danger. Likewise, I survived over sixty years without carrying a weapon. However, I do think the streets are getting meaner and if you have the opportunity to carry, you should take advantage of it.
    DinkyDauDon and oldrwizr like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I carry mostly because I can. I'll probably never need it, but why risk it?

I also have no concerns because I am 21 and invincible.

But seriously, the biggest danger to me is either a car crash or some warehouse accident.
    walleye likes this.

I'm with duk. As long as my natural health hangs in there, most dangerous thing to it would be idiots like the one that almost killed all of us in three vehicles this last week.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

What's interesting to me is that answers are subjective, yet the question is proposed as if we know the objective danger.

from an objective danger perspective, this all comes down to probabilities, and research shows that we humans are very bad at understanding probability and risk.

We also do a very poor job at discounting rewards and risks. This has something to do with evolution.

I personally plan for all of the above, which is why I have in my EDC stuff for natural disasters, fire, etc. in addition to my weapon.

An interesting piece of trivia is somewhat related: The most common risk for alpinists is sunburn and dehydration, yet climbers prepare for falls, which are statistically far less probable. Of course, falls can have a much bigger impact (pun intended)...
    l1a1 and stevem174 like this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    The biggest danger in all of your lives is vehicles, particularly the drivers behind the wheel of those vehicles. Anyone who disagrees has never left their house :D
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

None of the above..... Only concerned with being alive each day............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    What's interesting to me is that answers are subjective, yet the question is proposed as if we know the objective danger.

from an objective danger perspective, this all comes down to probabilities, and research shows that we humans are very bad at understanding probability and risk.

We also do a very poor job at discounting rewards and risks. This has something to do with evolution.

I personally plan for all of the above, which is why I have in my EDC stuff for natural disasters, fire, etc. in addition to my weapon.

An interesting piece of trivia is somewhat related: The most common risk for alpinists is sunburn and dehydration, yet climbers prepare for falls, which are statistically far less probable. Of course, falls can have a much bigger impact (pun intended)...
    Good Point. There is though objective estimations of danger and purely subjective ones. Though the past is no real crystal ball on the future: partly it would be based on crime stats in one's neighborhood, the state of one's heath at this point, frequency of fires, and for some natural catastrophe is really objectively a danger - those who live with yearly forest fires like we've seen, or frequent hurricane areas etc. And as a poster just pointed out, car accidents being a big danger, how often and how many miles does one drive, heavy traffic, rural etc, etc,... So, there is some objective information - usually paralleled by one's common experience of others and what's happened to them, what is in local press etc.

From op:

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    The biggest danger in all of your lives is vehicles, particularly the drivers behind the wheel of those vehicles. Anyone who disagrees has never left their house :D
    FROM OP:

Yes, you're right! how could I have left that out - well, at least there's an "OTHER" category. But car accidents are the greatest danger for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Not the biggest danger. Ones odds of being injured or killed in a vehicle accident are not high at all.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The premise that objectivity in respones is possible simply through the asking is the challenge. Objectvity requires an awareness of the variables and the emperical data assiciated with them. Most responses have been interesting, well intentioned, but subjective. Which is really what internet forums can be counted on.

The biggest danger to my life right now is that hot divorcee that lives next door.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I carry mostly because I can. I'll probably never need it, but why risk it?

I also have no concerns because I am 21 and invincible.

But seriously, the biggest danger to me is either a car crash or some warehouse accident.
    I should have put that in: Car Accidents. I'll add a note

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    At my age, although I'm not particularly concerned about it, health issues pose the greatest danger. Likewise, I survived over sixty years without carrying a weapon. However, I do think the streets are getting meaner and if you have the opportunity to carry, you should take advantage of it.
    Me too!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links