How do you learn about local ordinances for traveling?

This is a discussion on How do you learn about local ordinances for traveling? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am waiting for my license to arrive and am still learning about this whole new world of CC and would appreciate some help. I ...

Thread: How do you learn about local ordinances for traveling?

I am waiting for my license to arrive and am still learning about this whole new world of CC and would appreciate some help. I know where to go to find out about state laws regulating carry but could use some direction and advice for how you find out about any local city or county ordinances that are different from that of the state. Fortunately my state just enacted a law disallowing local governing bodies to restrict carry beyond what the state laws are, but I don't want to be surprised to find myself in trouble while traveling outside of this state by a city ordinance I didn't know about.

Thanks for an help!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Kentucky has complete preemption. No local juristictions can pass firearms laws that are contrary to state law.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Handgunlaw.us

This is a good site too, but right now, it ain't up?
    http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php
    The mother ship working....
    Carry Concealed

Quote Originally Posted by SKW View Post
    I know where to go to find out about state laws regulating carry but could use some direction and advice for how you find out about any local city or county ordinances that are different from that of the state.
    Unfortunately, there is no quick method.

You've just got to dig around for it. The way I do it is to first leverage the summary info reference sheets found at HandgunLaw.us, then verify the key elements on the given state's legislature web site. If the given state is one that does not have full preemption, or it's known that a given city I'm traveling to is know for disregarding and getting away with it, then I head to the city/county web sites for that spot and verify whether there are any conditions that could get me in hot water. It's not foolproof, but with a bit of prep I find I can pretty much get the answers in a few hours of rooting around.

For those states I travel to fairly frequently, I've found having a decent guide can help. For example, if FLA is on your list, then I'd strongly recommend Florida Firearms: Law, Use, Ownership, by Jon Gutmacher. Check Bloomfield Press at Gunlaws.com, for a variety of decent guides for several states.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Depending on where you are traveling and how many states are involved it can be a nightmare. Sadly very few if any states duplicate the laws/rules of other states. Good luck.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Kentucky has complete preemption. No local juristictions can pass firearms laws that are contrary to state law.
    Likewise, Florida.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

In some areas you can't travel with your empty gun locked up in the trunk.
    Wash D.C., NYC, Mass, Chicago for starters. Check out the trip planners on the websites mentioned.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Same with Ohio.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

When traveling out of state, I have actually called the local law enforcement in my destination areas.......especially with open carry. Some have had to return my calls with proper information. Some municipalities in some states do have ordinances.

Municode is the best place to look for city/county ordinances. As long as they have them posted online.

State Listing - Municipal Code Corporation
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsored Links